View Poll Results: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, civil unions are an acceptable compromise.

    17 16.19%
  • No, they are not, because:

    55 52.38%
  • The government should not be involved with marriage, at all.

    25 23.81%
  • Other (Please Explain)

    8 7.62%
Page 73 of 83 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast
Results 721 to 730 of 830

Thread: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

  1. #721
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Civil unions should still be offered for those who don't want all that comes with a typical marriage. Don't you think? And civil unions should offer all the same benefits that a marriage would.
    No. Because it is a waste of money. What part of marriage is legally "typical"? As in is found as a part of every state's law pertaining to marriage. Cannot be separated or left out of the legal marriage. Every person getting married must abide by.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #722
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by Partisan62 View Post
    Neither gays nor lesbians can have babies inside the union that they are fighting us for. What an excellent point that you have just made for the opponents of gay "marriage". And another fine example of the inferiority of the concept of "gay" marriage.

    As far as the "slippery slope"...not so long ago the sentiment that "no one wants to marry someone of the same gender" would have been as absurd as your "marry a horse" comment, yet here we are.

    I admit that I appear to be on the losing side of this issue, but keep in mind that this alone does not make a thing any less wrong or destructive to the society.
    25% of legally married couples where the woman is of childbearing age do not have children. A good portion of them cannot have children with each other (about 10%), and another portion do not want children and go through great pains to avoid having children.

    Procreation is not a legal requirement of marriage. And in fact, in 5 states, first cousins can legally marry only if they can show that they are not able to procreate with each other. Those marriages are all recognized by the federal government.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #723
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,808

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    1.)LOL! You'll have to do a little better than that. Explain why it wouldn't make everyone happy. I think that it would.



    2.)



    3.)No it doesn't. Other is an option, and it is asked to explain if you pick other. So you are wrong.



    4.)Good Lord. Let's not go off the deep end with the ridiculousness now.



    5.)Well I can't comment on this until I see that this is what it actually ever said via links.



    6.)I will look at this later. Thank you.




    7.)Why is it "too bad" to be insensitive to one group but not to another? What in the hell would you be if not bride (female) or groom (male)? I already said perhaps they could put in an "O" for other, but that would be RARELY used since most people (transgendered, etc.) have at least CHOSEN a gender.



    Well, I'd really like to take a nice long look into that crystal ball you apparently have at your disposal.
    1.) because one the form isnt about making people happy nor should it be, the state made the change for accuracy and ease and still using terme bride and groom doesnt promise all will be happy simply because that not what everyone is.

    2.)

    3.) yes it does because thats not what i asked, i didnt ask you if you thought there was a better way i asked you between two options and you picked a 3rd

    4.) hey blame you answer then not me, you picked a 3rd option you werent asked about

    5.) yes you can you can simply say "if" thats what it said i agree or disagree lol

    6.) you're welcome but you havent answered

    7.) because nobody is catering to "one" group thats way, making it be bride and groom would be catering to ONE group.

    8.) im not talking about future im talking about now, nothing changed in the areas of customs and traditions and nothing will in the future because this form has no impact on them, thats what you seem to miss. My customs and tradition are MINE, you have no impact on them nor does this form.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #724
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,808

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by fyrenza View Post
    don't break your arm, patting yourself on the back ~
    "It MUAT be true, 'cuz I read it, online" only counts if YOU didn't write it
    just sayin'
    i would never pat myself on the back for stating facts
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #725
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J;1061239744
    [QUOTE
    ]1.) because one the form isnt about making people happy nor should it be, the state made the change for accuracy and ease and still using terme bride and groom doesnt promise all will be happy simply because that not what everyone is.
    It does if they get to choose any combination. They don't have to be bride and groom. They can be groom/groom or bride/bride. What else is a person? They are either a male or a female or, in the rare circumstance, a combination of the both, but really nothing outside of the male/female realm.


    3.) yes it does because thats not what i asked, i didnt ask you if you thought there was a better way i asked you between two options and you picked a 3rd
    Well that might be the case, but I was addressing the OP questions.

    4.) hey blame you answer then not me, you picked a 3rd option you werent asked about
    See my answer to number 3 above.

    5.) yes you can you can simply say "if" thats what it said i agree or disagree lol
    I really can't remember what this is about. Maybe you could refresh my memory.

    6.) you're welcome but you havent answered
    I don't see what your genealogy link has to do with this.

    7.) because nobody is catering to "one" group thats way, making it be bride and groom would be catering to ONE group.
    I disagree. I think that changing things from the way they are and/or have been to appease a group is catering to that group. Leaving things alone is not.

    8.) im not talking about future im talking about now, nothing changed in the areas of customs and traditions and nothing will in the future because this form has no impact on them, thats what you seem to miss. My customs and tradition are MINE, you have no impact on them nor does this form.
    And you are qualified to make these kind of guarantees how?

  6. #726
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,808

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    1.)It does if they get to choose any combination. They don't have to be bride and groom. They can be groom/groom or bride/bride. What else is a person? They are either a male or a female or, in the rare circumstance, a combination of the both, but really nothing outside of the male/female realm.




    Well that might be the case, but I was addressing the OP questions.



    See my answer to number 3 above.



    2.)I really can't remember what this is about. Maybe you could refresh my memory.



    3.)I don't see what your genealogy link has to do with this.



    4.)I disagree. I think that changing things from the way they are and/or have been to appease a group is catering to that group. Leaving things alone is not.



    5.)And you are qualified to make these kind of guarantees how?
    1.) what ever they want to be they dont have to be bride and groom especially in a contract
    2.) you said you cant answer unless you see the link, the link isnt needed.
    3.) then try opening it lol
    4.) well you would be wrong if those titles exclude people

    if some form said MEN or WHITE MEN and it was changed to person that is most definitely not catering to ONE group.But leaving it like that would be catering to MEN or WHITE MEN

    5.) its not a guarantee its just how it is, reality and facts make it so.
    your traditions and costumes are YOUR i have no impact on them
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #727
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    1.) what ever they want to be they dont have to be bride and groom especially in a contract
    2.) you said you cant answer unless you see the link, the link isnt needed.
    3.) then try opening it lol
    4.) well you would be wrong if those titles exclude people

    if some form said MEN or WHITE MEN and it was changed to person that is most definitely not catering to ONE group.But leaving it like that would be catering to MEN or WHITE MEN

    5.) its not a guarantee its just how it is, reality and facts make it so.
    your traditions and costumes are YOUR i have no impact on them
    Damn I thought you were gone. Just kidding!

    Nope, I don't feel like doing "research" tonight. Hope you understand. Maybe tomorrow I'll take a look at the link. I don't see how it will change my opinion, but whatever.

  8. #728
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,808

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Damn I thought you were gone. Just kidding!

    Nope, I don't feel like doing "research" tonight. Hope you understand. Maybe tomorrow I'll take a look at the link. I don't see how it will change my opinion, but whatever.
    its not research its simply a picture of a old washington marriage certificate that says "contracting parties" no bride, no groom and many states use this format or something similar.

    and i would hope it does have an impact on your opinion otherwise your be very hypocritical.
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  9. #729
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    its not research its simply a picture of a old washington marriage certificate that says "contracting parties" no bride, no groom and many states use this format or something similar.

    and i would hope it does have an impact on your opinion otherwise your be very hypocritical.
    Well that's fine by me, so is gay marriage, as long as things can remain as they are for everyone else.

  10. #730
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Close, but US law is based around British common law, not religious law. The origins predate Christianity.
    Some origins do indeed come from Roman Law, but the major underlying tenets come from an explicitly Christian outlook. The notion of individual sovereignty, for example (the idea that you have rights that the government cannot correctly abuse) flowed directly from the Christian belief that the individual had access to God.

    Further, nowehere does it say we make murder and theft illegal in our country due to the bible.
    Yup. Neither does it say in law that we shouldn't alter the definition of marriage due to the Bible. Whether that is peoples' intent or not is irrelevant, just as it is with murder and theft. In a nation where the people are sovereign, decisions can be made by them for any reason they choose.

    It is argued logically. No one's family is effected by SSM, except gay couples.
    There I would have to disagree - if you will see my discussion with jredbarron, I think that we do indeed effect family in our society.

    Marriage is a more stable place to raise a family that outside of marriage. A significant portion of gay people have kids. This is actual logic.
    How much is significant.?

Page 73 of 83 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •