View Poll Results: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, civil unions are an acceptable compromise.

    17 16.19%
  • No, they are not, because:

    55 52.38%
  • The government should not be involved with marriage, at all.

    25 23.81%
  • Other (Please Explain)

    8 7.62%
Page 67 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast
Results 661 to 670 of 830

Thread: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

  1. #661
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I'm not "badgering" you. I'm just saying that if you make a claim, be able to back it up. All that you have given us is that you are afraid that gays MIGHT change marriage IF they want to, although you don't know IF they want to.
    I disagree. You are making me feel as if I'm being badgered. I already said that I wanted to protect marriage and offer a civil union option for those who are not happy with the marriage as it is. I don't see how much more clear I can be.

  2. #662
    Professor
    wolfsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,140

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I agree with this.

    Okay, let me give one example. Let's say atheists suddenly wanted marriage to be a completely government run thing. They wanted God completely OUT of marriage because it offends them for some reason (not that this would ever happen). I would like to see marriage be protected from something like that. Therefore, if we give civil unions as an option that have all the same benefits as a marriage, then they can have their "sterilized" version of a wedding and not have to impose it upon everyone else.
    Marriage is already only a government thing. You only have to have a government license to be legally married. The church/religion part is optional.
    The church/God doesn't grant you legal marriage.

    No one can tell anyone how to have a wedding.
    " May you live as long as you wish, and love as long as you live"
    R.A. Heinlein

  3. #663
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by RaisingPaige View Post
    I'm always greatly amused by the notion that allowing SSM will somehow undermine the "sanctity" or the "institution" of marriage, or "erode the family." Really? It seems heterosexual couples are doing a perfectly fine job of that already, considering divorce rates, cheating spouses, custody battles, etc. A family friend just walked down the aisle for the *fourth* time not too long ago. In a church! Good for her, good luck, and well wishes, but somehow at that point, vowing yet again, to love-and-honor-til-death-do-you-part just seems ridiculous. There really is no reason SSM should not be allowed. People should be treated equally by the law, and same-sex couples deserve the same benefits given to heterosexual couples afforded by marriage. It certainly doesn't undermine my own marriage, nor does it affect the value or importance I place in marriage. The argument that SSM undermines the sanctity of anything is a complete joke.
    That's not the point I was making at all. It's the idea that some customs and things about marriage DO mean something to some people, and those people are not any less important than any other group of people, so they should also have some protections. The option of civil union for those who are unhappy with any aspect of marriage as it exists could use that option.

  4. #664
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I disagree. You are making me feel as if I'm being badgered. I already said that I wanted to protect marriage and offer a civil union option for those who are not happy with the marriage as it is. I don't see how much more clear I can be.
    Let me ask you this....do you have the same fears that Blond haired people might change marriage IF they wanted to, even though you don't really have any reason to believe that they want to.....or is this irrational fear that they might change something IF they wanted to change something only applies to gays?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  5. #665
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsgirl View Post
    Marriage is already only a government thing. You only have to have a government license to be legally married. The church/religion part is optional.
    The church/God doesn't grant you legal marriage.

    No one can tell anyone how to have a wedding.
    As it stands now, yes, and I want to protect those rights so that no one can ever have any kind of terms eliminated or other such scenarios.

  6. #666
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    That's not the point I was making at all. It's the idea that some customs and things about marriage DO mean something to some people, and those people are not any less important than any other group of people, so they should also have some protections. The option of civil union for those who are unhappy with any aspect of marriage as it exists could use that option.
    What do those people need to be protected from? What are the gays coming after?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  7. #667
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsgirl View Post
    Marriage is already only a government thing. You only have to have a government license to be legally married. The church/religion part is optional.
    The church/God doesn't grant you legal marriage.

    No one can tell anyone how to have a wedding.
    you don't even have to have a wedding. get the license and hit the JOP. does it really matter what you call it as long as all the benefits are the same? "a rose by any other name would smell as sweet....."
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #668
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    As it stands now, yes, and I want to protect those rights so that no one can ever have any kind of terms eliminated or other such scenarios.
    What other such scenarios are you referencing?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  9. #669
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    What are the gays coming after?
    I'm fine with gay marriage as long as the groom doesn't insist on wearing assless pants during the ceremony
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #670
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Let me ask you this....do you have the same fears that Blond haired people might change marriage IF they wanted to, even though you don't really have any reason to believe that they want to.....or is this irrational fear that they might change something IF they wanted to change something only applies to gays?
    Well, I don't normally see strictly groups of blonde people out protesting or making a big deal out of "blonde rights" so no. And I wouldn't call it a fear. It was just something that crossed my mind when I read the OP question and after I read the other thread about the terminology changes on marriage certificates.

Page 67 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •