View Poll Results: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, civil unions are an acceptable compromise.

    17 16.19%
  • No, they are not, because:

    55 52.38%
  • The government should not be involved with marriage, at all.

    25 23.81%
  • Other (Please Explain)

    8 7.62%
Page 66 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast
Results 651 to 660 of 830

Thread: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

  1. #651
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    What do you base this on? What evidence do you have that gays want to change ANYTHING? It sounds like an irrational fear that you have. Its called building a strawman and then attacking it because there is no legitimate argument that you can attack.
    Are you trying to tell me how I should feel and what my opinions should be now too?

  2. #652
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I've backed up my argument. If you don't like how I did it or what I said, that's not my problem. Just because I don't point to a specific example (because nothing gay marriage is relatively new so nothing has happened yet) doesn't make my argument invalid. Just because I try to look at the bigger picture and try to see unintended consequences doesn't make me a "bigot" either.

    Edit: I screwed up the quotes and I can't fix it.
    You haven't backed up your argument at all. All you have said is that you are against gay marriage IF they want to change anything. But haven't given a single solitary reason why you have a fear that the gays would change anything. Usually when people have fears, they are based on SOMETHING. Not just a possible "IF".
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  3. #653
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Are you trying to tell me how I should feel and what my opinions should be now too?
    No. I am saying...if you are on a debate site, at least be willing and/or able to justify and/or explain your fears and/or arguments
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #654
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsgirl View Post
    The point is, there is no one concept of marriage. My neighbor may have a completely different concept of marriage than I do, but it has no effect on MY concept of marriage. Just like MY concept of marriage has no effect on YOUR concept of marriage.

    I'm having a backyard wedding, with no religious stuff at all. Some may say that you have to get married in a church. I don't have to.
    The government form has nothing to do with anyones personal concept of marriage. Other than having to sign the thing there are no requirements
    .
    I agree with this.

    Okay, let me give one example. Let's say atheists suddenly wanted marriage to be a completely government run thing. They wanted God completely OUT of marriage because it offends them for some reason (not that this would ever happen). I would like to see marriage be protected from something like that. Therefore, if we give civil unions as an option that have all the same benefits as a marriage, then they can have their "sterilized" version of a wedding and not have to impose it upon everyone else.

  5. #655
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    You haven't backed up your argument at all. All you have said is that you are against gay marriage IF they want to change anything. But haven't given a single solitary reason why you have a fear that the gays would change anything. Usually when people have fears, they are based on SOMETHING. Not just a possible "IF".
    I feel that I've argued my point quite well and gave the example using the terminology as just a small sampling of what could possibly happen. You don't like my opinion, and no one is asking you to, but that doesn't mean you can badger me and call me a bigot either.

  6. #656
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I feel that I've argued my point quite well and gave the example using the terminology as just a small sampling of what could possibly happen. You don't like my opinion, and no one is asking you to, but that doesn't mean you can badger me and call me a bigot either.
    I'm not "badgering" you. I'm just saying that if you make a claim, be able to back it up. All that you have given us is that you are afraid that gays MIGHT change marriage IF they want to, although you don't know IF they want to.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  7. #657
    Professor
    wolfsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,140

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Nope, I said I support gay marriage as long as they don't want to change anything about marriage. Period. The examples about discrimination were no less discrimination than preventing gay people from being married. The point was not allowing them to change things about existing marriage customs is not being discriminatory IMO, especially if there is a civil union option available for those that might be unhappy about something with marriage.
    There is no one marriage custom to change. That is the point. There are numerous marriage customs.
    " May you live as long as you wish, and love as long as you live"
    R.A. Heinlein

  8. #658
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsgirl View Post
    There is no one marriage custom to change. That is the point. There are numerous marriage customs.
    You have to read my newer post.

  9. #659
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I agree with this.

    Okay, let me give one example. Let's say atheists suddenly wanted marriage to be a completely government run thing. They wanted God completely OUT of marriage because it offends them for some reason (not that this would ever happen). I would like to see marriage be protected from something like that. Therefore, if we give civil unions as an option that have all the same benefits as a marriage, then they can have their "sterilized" version of a wedding and not have to impose it upon everyone else.
    Do you have ANY evidence that gays want to change ANYTHING about marriage?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #660
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-13 @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    17

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    I'm always greatly amused by the notion that allowing SSM will somehow undermine the "sanctity" or the "institution" of marriage, or "erode the family." Really? It seems heterosexual couples are doing a perfectly fine job of that already, considering divorce rates, cheating spouses, custody battles, etc. A family friend just walked down the aisle for the *fourth* time not too long ago. In a church! Good for her, good luck, and well wishes, but somehow at that point, vowing yet again, to love-and-honor-til-death-do-you-part just seems ridiculous. There really is no reason SSM should not be allowed. People should be treated equally by the law, and same-sex couples deserve the same benefits given to heterosexual couples afforded by marriage. It certainly doesn't undermine my own marriage, nor does it affect the value or importance I place in marriage. The argument that SSM undermines the sanctity of anything is a complete joke.

Page 66 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •