View Poll Results: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, civil unions are an acceptable compromise.

    17 16.19%
  • No, they are not, because:

    55 52.38%
  • The government should not be involved with marriage, at all.

    25 23.81%
  • Other (Please Explain)

    8 7.62%
Page 65 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast
Results 641 to 650 of 830

Thread: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

  1. #641
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Don't make me put you on ignore.
    LOL......be my guest. If you can't debate the issues....then go for it.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  2. #642
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    LOL......be my guest. If you can't debate the issues....then go for it.
    You calling me a bigot is not debating.

  3. #643
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    You are free to think whatever you want of course.
    All that we have gotten from you is this:

    I'm ok with gay marriage and freedom....blah..blah..blah....unless they want to change something about marriage. I don't really know what they WOULD change and I'm not saying that they WOULD change anything....only that IF they wanted to change something....something that I can't give an example of...and don't really have to because its just my opinion.....but its not REALLY discrimination to prevent gays from marrying, not like real discrimination like preventing inter-racial or inter-faith marriage.....but I'm actually not against SSM....I just don't want them to change real marriage and I'm afraid that they might change it...even though I have no concrete reason to believe that they would....but IF they wanted to....thats good enough.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #644
    Professor
    wolfsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,139

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I don't HAVE to come with a specific example. I can say that I would be against gay marriage if they wanted to change the concept of something to do with marriage that means something to other people. Just because you guys are demanding a specific example, doesn't mean I have to wrack my brain to come up with one. So no.

    This is just my opinion anyways. I don't know why you guys let yourselves get sooo bent out of shape.
    The point is, there is no one concept of marriage. My neighbor may have a completely different concept of marriage than I do, but it has no effect on MY concept of marriage. Just like MY concept of marriage has no effect on YOUR concept of marriage.

    I'm having a backyard wedding, with no religious stuff at all. Some may say that you have to get married in a church. I don't have to.
    The government form has nothing to do with anyones personal concept of marriage. Other than having to sign the thing there are no requirements.
    " May you live as long as you wish, and love as long as you live"
    R.A. Heinlein

  5. #645
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    You calling me a bigot is not debating.
    I'm pointing out your hypocrisy....I didn't call you a bigot. I indicated that you inability to point to a single example of this fictious claim that you have invented is perhaps an indication that you aren't really being honest about your true feelings.

    What I was saying is that IF you were a bigot then you should just come out and say it rather than jumping through hoops.....or at least attempt to come up with something to back your argument on.
    Last edited by disneydude; 12-11-12 at 05:49 PM.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  6. #646
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    All that we have gotten from you is this:

    I'm ok with gay marriage and freedom....blah..blah..blah....unless they want to change something about marriage. I don't really know what they WOULD change and I'm not saying that they WOULD change anything....only that IF they wanted to change something....something that I can't give an example of...and don't really have to because its just my opinion.....but its not REALLY discrimination to prevent gays from marrying, not like real discrimination like preventing inter-racial or inter-faith marriage.....but I'm actually not against SSM....I just don't want them to change real marriage and I'm afraid that they might change it...even though I have no concrete reason to believe that they would....but IF they wanted to....thats good enough.
    Nope, I said I support gay marriage as long as they don't want to change anything about marriage. Period. The examples about discrimination were no less discrimination than preventing gay people from being married. The point was not allowing them to change things about existing marriage customs is not being discriminatory IMO, especially if there is a civil union option available for those that might be unhappy about something with marriage.

  7. #647
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Nope, I said I support gay marriage as long as they don't want to change anything about marriage. Period. The examples about discrimination were no less discrimination than preventing gay people from being married. The point was not allowing them to change things about existing marriage customs is not being discriminatory IMO, especially if there is a civil union option available for those that might be unhappy about something with marriage.
    What do you base this on? What evidence do you have that gays want to change ANYTHING? It sounds like an irrational fear that you have. Its called building a strawman and then attacking it because there is no legitimate argument that you can attack.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #648
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I'm pointing out your hypocrisy....I didn't call you a bigot. I indicated that you inability to point to a single example of this fictious claim that you have invented is perhaps an indication that you aren't really being honest about your true feelings.
    Oh really? This is your post right here.

    Just admit your bigotry and be done with it.
    Hmm. For some reason this makes me feel as if you are accusing me of bigotry. As if you know me or something.
    What I was saying is that IF you were a bigot then you should just come out and say it rather than jumping through hoops.....or at least attempt to come up with something to back your argument on.[/QUOTE]

    I've backed up my argument. If you don't like how I did it or what I said, that's not my problem. Just because I don't point to a specific example (because nothing gay marriage is relatively new so nothing has happened yet) doesn't make my argument invalid. Just because I try to look at the bigger picture and try to see unintended consequences doesn't make me a "bigot" either.

    Edit: I screwed up the quotes and I can't fix it.
    Last edited by ChrisL; 12-11-12 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Crap! I ALWAYS screw up the quotes!!!

  9. #649
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by RepublicanMcDuc View Post
    No, because it's still the government relegating homosexual persons to second-class status. Whether you use the word marriage or union isn't as important as using the same word for both straight and gay couples.

    The civil union will contain the same benefits as a heterosexual marriage
    how is this relegating anyone to second class status?

    gay couples get A, B and C, called civil union
    straight couples get A, B and C, called marriage

    the ONLY difference is what you call it. so apparently the word "marriage" is what is most important.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #650
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    What do you base this on? What evidence do you have that gays want to change ANYTHING? It sounds like an irrational fear that you have. Its called building a strawman and then attacking it because there is no legitimate argument that you can attack.
    That is just not true. I answered the OP question.

Page 65 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •