View Poll Results: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, civil unions are an acceptable compromise.

    17 16.19%
  • No, they are not, because:

    55 52.38%
  • The government should not be involved with marriage, at all.

    25 23.81%
  • Other (Please Explain)

    8 7.62%
Page 62 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast
Results 611 to 620 of 830

Thread: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

  1. #611
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    You posted 50+ times in this thread "claiming" that gays want to change marriage and yet.....you haven't been able to state with specificity one thing about marriage that gays will change.
    I never said that they wanted to. I said IF they wanted to. There is a difference you know.

  2. #612
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    [QUOTE=wolfsgirl;1061238429]
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post

    What do you think that "they" might want to change?
    Who knows, but the thread about changing the terminology got me thinking about these kinds of things, and since I can't see into the future and neither can you, I would like to see the bases covered.

  3. #613
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I never said that they wanted to. I said IF they wanted to. There is a difference you know.
    OK....so what about marriages are you contending that gays would change IF they wanted to?
    Can you name a single one?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #614
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    If you want true equality, then ALL groups and their feelings and ideals are going to have to matter.

  5. #615
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    If you want true equality, then ALL groups and their feelings and ideals are going to have to matter.
    Can you give an example?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  6. #616
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    OK....so what about marriages are you contending that gays would change IF they wanted to?
    Can you name a single one?
    I never claimed that they ever would. This is a purely hypothetical situation to demonstrate why I chose other in my poll answer. I was asked to explain why I would choose other, and that is what I did.

  7. #617
    Professor
    wolfsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,140

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post

    Who knows, but the thread about changing the terminology got me thinking about these kinds of things, and since I can't see into the future and neither can you, I would like to see the bases covered.
    Gays didn't petition to change the wording, government officials thought it would be more efficient.

    There is no one way that government marriage licenses are written, so how can "they" change something that is not uniform, and has already changed multiple times in some states?

    Do you get upset if your bank changes their forms too? My bank recently changed their forms from spouse to second account holder. That didn't seem to change the way anyone thought about their spouse.
    " May you live as long as you wish, and love as long as you live"
    R.A. Heinlein

  8. #618
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Can you give an example?
    Let me word this more clearly for you. I support gay people's right to be married, the pursuit of happiness and blah, blah. I don't support bending to their every whim because they may feel unhappy about certain aspects of marriage. Is that more clear for you?

  9. #619
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I never claimed that they ever would. This is a purely hypothetical situation to demonstrate why I chose other in my poll answer. I was asked to explain why I would choose other, and that is what I did.
    You are making zero sense. So.....you aren't against SSM per se, but you are kind of against it because they might happen to want to change something about it....but you aren't really sure WHAT they would change about it, you are just concerned that there is something that they MIGHT want to change.....but only IF they wanted to change it.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #620
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsgirl View Post
    Gays didn't petition to change the wording, government officials thought it would be more efficient.

    There is no one way that government marriage licenses are written, so how can "they" change something that is not uniform, and has already changed multiple times in some states?

    Do you get upset if your bank changes their forms too? My bank recently changed their forms from spouse to second account holder. That didn't seem to change the way anyone thought about their spouse.
    Good Lord! Once again, I was using that as a hypothetical situation in my reasoning for choosing other in the poll options. It is something that came to my mind and would be a reason for me to support a union as opposed to a marriage in certain circumstances.

Page 62 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •