View Poll Results: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, civil unions are an acceptable compromise.

    17 16.19%
  • No, they are not, because:

    55 52.38%
  • The government should not be involved with marriage, at all.

    25 23.81%
  • Other (Please Explain)

    8 7.62%
Page 59 of 83 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 590 of 830

Thread: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

  1. #581
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    No you were not, you were snidely and passively-aggressively attacking by implicitly accusing her of the moral equivalency of racism.
    No....just pointing out the hypocrisy in her post.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  2. #582
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jredbaron96 View Post
    You just repeated your earlier point. I'm asking how it would alter the basis.
    Because it further degrades the emphasis on biological parent-pairs forming stable lifelong unions in order to facilitate the successful rearing of the next generation into "just two people who love each other". You decrease the degree to which Marriage has a connection to Family when you so alter its' definition.

    What evidence do you have to support this claim. What data I have read suggest their is no decay when two lesbians or two gay men marry and raise a family.
    Yeah, self-selection studies tend to do that. I could do polling in neighborhoods where the median household income is $338,000 and demonstrate that single-parenthood doesn't strongly correlate with poverty, too.

    However, I was talking socially, not individually, and we are talking about the public definition of marriage, here, which as of yet, has not experienced this change.

  3. #583
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No hypocrisy. It is just facts. Some change is needed. It doesn't have to be completely gender neutral, but it must include something because it is unreasonable to make a man or woman be referred to as a term used to refer to the opposite gender. And it also makes for the most accurate paperwork to ensure that people's genders are correct. So some change is needed. If they want to make options of "bride/groom and bride/groom, circle appropriate" that is fine or if they would rather just say "person A and person B" that should all be left up to the state because it doesn't make a difference in how any legal institution or paperwork functions or is viewed. But if instead of making these changes, a government would rather change institutions it now has in place completely and in doing so also expect other places to change their own recognition or lack of in order to accommodate the one place's refusal to make a small change that is a huge problem. It is a lot of unnecessary change to try to appease sensibilities that shouldn't reasonably be offended by the small change in the first place.
    My point is that if a gay couple wants to be married, that is fine. I would not want to deny them that. But when they try to change things about marriage, then it is not marriage that they want at all, and there are people who do not want certain things changed about it, and those people are NO less important if we are talking about true "equality" here.

  4. #584
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    No....just pointing out the hypocrisy in her post.
    No, you were being a dick. That's fine, if you want to be a jerk. We have a whole basement for it. But don't pretend you are interested in refining our corporate understanding of the issues at play because you decided to throw a race card.

  5. #585
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Are you asking me why people enter into civil unions instead of marriages?
    Yes, that and to explain exactly what things about having equal tax and other benefits would make it MORE difficult for those who choose a civil union. Equal to married couples that is.

  6. #586
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    No....your logic makes YOU look absurd. You are either ok with tradition and terminology or you aren't. You are picking and choosing when and where you want to apply them. If you want to stay with marriage "traditions"......and think that terminology is unchangeable...then you have to accept that it was wrong to legalize inter-racial marriage....afterall....traditions and terminology matter, don't they?
    As I suspect.....you are just another hypocrite that is fine to change definitions when you want to....but will cling to "tradition" when it fits your bigoted point of view.
    I disagree with your assessment of me, but whatever. I really couldn't care less. Just quit nagging at me please.

  7. #587
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    No, you were being a dick. That's fine, if you want to be a jerk. We have a whole basement for it. But don't pretend you are interested in refining our corporate understanding of the issues at play because you decided to throw a race card.
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion. But it is absolutely hypocrisy to cry about how important traditions and terms are...and how he should never change a definition of a word.....but ooops.......I mean........only if you are talking about gay stuff......if you are talking about other stuff....well....then....er.......um........well.. ....I guess traditions and terms can change.....what I mean is....well......ah........ok.....no I'm not being hypocritical......you're just being a dick.....LOL.......
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  8. #588
    Professor
    wolfsgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,140

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I don't have a problem with SSM, so long as they don't try to change everything about it. Get married and accept it for what it is or isn't.
    No one has changed anything, other than adding the option of spouse to bride and groom.
    They were proposing a change, but decided against it.
    Last edited by wolfsgirl; 12-11-12 at 01:47 PM.
    " May you live as long as you wish, and love as long as you live"
    R.A. Heinlein

  9. #589
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,145

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I disagree with your assessment of me, but whatever. I really couldn't care less. Just quit nagging at me please.
    You are certainly free to flaunt your hypocrisy....but you aren't free to not have others point out how glaring it is.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #590
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion. But it is absolutely hypocrisy to cry about how important traditions and terms are...and how he should never change a definition of a word.....but ooops.......I mean........only if you are talking about gay stuff......if you are talking about other stuff....well....then....er.......um........well.. ....I guess traditions and terms can change.....what I mean is....well......ah........ok.....no I'm not being hypocritical......you're just being a dick.....LOL.......
    This is so idiotic.

Page 59 of 83 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •