View Poll Results: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, civil unions are an acceptable compromise.

    17 16.19%
  • No, they are not, because:

    55 52.38%
  • The government should not be involved with marriage, at all.

    25 23.81%
  • Other (Please Explain)

    8 7.62%
Page 28 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 830

Thread: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

  1. #271
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660
    SCOZTUS has said marriage is a right.
    I've googled "Supreme Court marriage right" - and saw zero headlines that talked about it being a right. I've seen umpteen articles saying that they can and will hear cases involving gay/SSM. However, at no point did I see a statement from SCOTUS saying that "marriage is a right".

    It's just viewed as a "right" by a lot of people who think that every damned thing today is a "right". It's as if America has forgotten the definition of "privilege".

  2. #272
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I've googled "Supreme Court marriage right" - and saw zero headlines that talked about it being a right. I've seen umpteen articles saying that they can and will hear cases involving gay/SSM. However, at no point did I see a statement from SCOTUS saying that "marriage is a right".

    It's just viewed as a "right" by a lot of people who think that every damned thing today is a "right". It's as if America has forgotten the definition of "privilege".
    Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man,"

    Loving v. Virginia

  3. #273
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I've googled "Supreme Court marriage right" - and saw zero headlines that talked about it being a right. I've seen umpteen articles saying that they can and will hear cases involving gay/SSM. However, at no point did I see a statement from SCOTUS saying that "marriage is a right".

    It's just viewed as a "right" by a lot of people who think that every damned thing today is a "right". It's as if America has forgotten the definition of "privilege".
    So marriage is a privelege that the state grants to whom it wants? I tend to be of the belief that its absolutely none of their business. We have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Religionists using the state's muscle to provide special priveleges to some citizens that they deny to others is inherently immoral, and certainly out of the scope of government's power granted by the constitution.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  4. #274
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I've googled "Supreme Court marriage right" - and saw zero headlines that talked about it being a right.
    Really? I goggled the same phrase and the first two results mentioned it.

  5. #275
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca
    So marriage is a privelege that the state grants to whom it wants? I tend to be of the belief that its absolutely none of their business. We have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Religionists using the state's muscle to provide special priveleges to some citizens that they deny to others is inherently immoral, and certainly out of the scope of government's power granted by the constitution.
    States have a funny way of showing what they think is and is not their business. Here in Alabama, there is no lottery, and all forms of gambling-based games are illegal. In multiple counties in this state, they're "dry". Alcohol cannot be sold within county lines, and it is illegal to possess even in ways that's legal anywhere else.

    Do I think that states should legislate morality? No, of course not. However, I'm not going to get on a soapbox and say it's my "right" to go and have a beer at any place I want, or to buy a scratch-off at the local convenience store because I suddenly feel the need to.

  6. #276
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    States have a funny way of showing what they think is and is not their business. Here in Alabama, there is no lottery, and all forms of gambling-based games are illegal. In multiple counties in this state, they're "dry". Alcohol cannot be sold within county lines, and it is illegal to possess even in ways that's legal anywhere else.

    Do I think that states should legislate morality? No, of course not. However, I'm not going to get on a soapbox and say it's my "right" to go and have a beer at any place I want, or to buy a scratch-off at the local convenience store because I suddenly feel the need to.
    I certainly think it is your right to do those things. It's not the same kind of right as one granted by the constitution, but more of a natural right. You have a natural right to control your own body. When the state steps in and stops you from doing something that harms no one, they are interfering with your freedom. You own your own body, and you possess the right to make associations and contracts with whom you choose.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  7. #277
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca
    I certainly think it is your right to do those things. It's not the same kind of right as one granted by the constitution, but more of a natural right. You have a natural right to control your own body. When the state steps in and stops you from doing something that harms no one, they are interfering with your freedom. You own your own body, and you possess the right to make associations and contracts with whom you choose.
    I'm inclined to believe that insofar as "castle doctrine". If I want to buttsecks a dude while watching horse porn, drinking absinthe, and playing bingo within my own home I should be allowed. However, I'm a HUGE proponent of states' rights. States like Utah, Alabama, and others have laws set aside that may restrict some "freedoms", but they're a long, long shot away from rights violations.

    I just hate the overuse of the word "right". It seems like everyone wants everything defined that way. Right to drive, right to drink, right to marriage, etc.

  8. #278
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,626

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    I am always amused when so-called libertarians refuse to accept a natural right when it doesn't further their world view.

    That is just above using rather small ball examples of other rights they don't see as rights.

  9. #279
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I'm inclined to believe that insofar as "castle doctrine". If I want to buttsecks a dude while watching horse porn, drinking absinthe, and playing bingo within my own home I should be allowed. However, I'm a HUGE proponent of states' rights. States like Utah, Alabama, and others have laws set aside that may restrict some "freedoms", but they're a long, long shot away from rights violations.

    I just hate the overuse of the word "right". It seems like everyone wants everything defined that way. Right to drive, right to drink, right to marriage, etc.
    Well you have a right to your opinion no matter how supercilious it is.

  10. #280
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,208

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Examples?
    Census is pretty self explanatory, legal reasons are things like custody of children.

Page 28 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •