View Poll Results: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, civil unions are an acceptable compromise.

    17 16.19%
  • No, they are not, because:

    55 52.38%
  • The government should not be involved with marriage, at all.

    25 23.81%
  • Other (Please Explain)

    8 7.62%
Page 25 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 830

Thread: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

  1. #241
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by RepublicanMcDuc View Post
    This has little to do with anyone's daddy issues and everything to do with everyone's right to equal protection
    No, that is already legally available to them, and would be made easily so under the Civil Unions compromise, which you will note is being explicitly rejected. This isn't about a rights. It's about a name.

    You obviously refuse to see how this is government discrimination.
    Not at all. For the government to issue marriage licenses requires that the government define the qualifications for those licenses, meaning that discrimination is inherent in the deed of issuance. To define something is to place borders around it, to say "this, but not that, that but not this".

    By telling gays they can't get married, you are doing them real harm.
    Not at all. They are exactly where I found them when I do so.

  2. #242
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I would agree that this used to be the case, but I don't believe it is any more.
    so it's what now - government? facebook?

  3. #243
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    Honestly instead of knee jerk reaction learn about us. You don't have to accept us you can even think we are gross, but we are just people, just like anybody else.
    No knee jerk here - I came to this conclusion from experience, direct and virtual, as well as the application of sound logic.

  4. #244
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    so it's what now - government? facebook?
    Who says there is one? Why does have to be a single institution by which our society thrives?

  5. #245
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,894
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    What does religion have anything to do with marriage?
    Well...according to those that are religious (and against homosexuality)....EVERYTHING. Remember? Marriage is a a religious rite according to them. To paraphrase "Gays should not be allowed to violate the sanctity of marriage because God deems that homosexuality is a sin!"
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  6. #246
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Who says there is one? Why does have to be a single institution by which our society thrives?
    History 101: If there is no central institution from which a common set of values extends across the broad spectrum of society, then that society will become a set of competing tribes engaged in a zero-sum struggle for power, and will turn on itself. A house divided will not stand.

  7. #247
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,894
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    No, that is already legally available to them, and would be made easily so under the Civil Unions compromise, which you will note is being explicitly rejected. This isn't about a rights. It's about a name.
    I remember in the not too distant past Gays in California were willing to compromise and accept Civil Unions. The Mayor of some city started performing them and a bunch of people got pissed and got the court to annul those unions. After that...why should they just accept civil unions now? Its obvious that the only reason that they are being offered it now is because gay marriage is becoming a reality and those against gay marriage want some way to keep the word marriage for themselves.

    So you're right. It IS about a name. Only it wasn't homosexuals that started it. They are just going to finish it.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  8. #248
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    I remember in the not too distant past Gays in California were willing to compromise and accept Civil Unions. The Mayor of some city started performing them and a bunch of people got pissed and got the court to annul those unions. After that...why should they just accept civil unions now?
    Because other than the emotional charge, the situation has not changed. What was wise then is wise now.

  9. #249
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    no longer posting
    Last Seen
    01-10-13 @ 02:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    453

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    You should be able to assume by now that I wont either...it wont work redress
    This is what I don't understand. You say people are twisting your words yet when given an opportunity to explain your position you refuse.

  10. #250
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Because marriage is the central institution by which our society thrives and survives, and weakening it's structures results in a weakening of our ability to do so.
    And just how does altering the criterion necessary for marriage weaken the institution itself? Will gays somehow weaken the foundations of heterosexual relationships by their mere inclusion? Sounds like a purely emotional plea on it's face.
    Last edited by a351; 12-09-12 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Typo..

Page 25 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •