View Poll Results: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, civil unions are an acceptable compromise.

    17 16.19%
  • No, they are not, because:

    55 52.38%
  • The government should not be involved with marriage, at all.

    25 23.81%
  • Other (Please Explain)

    8 7.62%
Page 19 of 83 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 830

Thread: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

  1. #181
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    They will not be an acceptable compromise for the lobby, because the lobby is not after actual rights, but rather public acceptance and validation. They don't want to be able to control each others' health decisions (they can already get a medical power of attorney to do that), they want daddy to accept their boyfriend.
    Good job just ignoring all the logical reasons given and making **** up.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #182
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    no longer posting
    Last Seen
    01-10-13 @ 02:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    453

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    They will not be an acceptable compromise for the lobby, because the lobby is not after actual rights, but rather public acceptance and validation. They don't want to be able to control each others' health decisions (they can already get a medical power of attorney to do that), they want daddy to accept their boyfriend.
    This has little to do with anyone's daddy issues and everything to do with everyone's right to equal protection. You obviously refuse to see how this is government discrimination. (And yes, that discrimination does play a role in stigma, but there is a fundamental constitutional issue here.)

    Oh, and nice job pulling out the tired power of attorney argument. Now deal with the thousands of other issues that are solved for married couples in one step but take unmarried couples multiple steps to resolve (if they even can). By telling gays they can't get married, you are doing them real harm.
    Last edited by RepublicanMcDuc; 12-09-12 at 05:28 AM.

  3. #183
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Because marriage is the central institution by which our society thrives and survives, and weakening it's structures results in a weakening of our ability to do so.
    I would agree that this used to be the case, but I don't believe it is any more.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #184
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,154

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jredbaron96 View Post
    One of the common arugements I've seen from social conservatives is that the creation of a civil union should answer the questions regarding gay marriage.

    Typically, the general idea is this:

    • The civil union will contain the same benefits as a heterosexual marriage
    • The term 'marriage' will only be recognized as between one man and one woman


    So, dear reader, my question to you is: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise with regards to the issue of Same-Sex marriage?

    I'll try to have the answers as applicable as possible.
    Isn't marriage a civil union aside from some pretend church stuff?

    Going to the justice of the peace and obtaining a marriage license means you are legally married, how is that not or any different than civil union.

    But hey if pretending the two terms are different means I get to mar... Umm, excuse me...civilly unite with my boyfriend, I will play this game.

    Honestly the only support I ever hear for government interfering with marriage is for divorce. How absurd. No marriage license for anybody, nothing will change except no more divorce and no more discussion over who can and can't marry. All problems solved.

  5. #185
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,154

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    They will not be an acceptable compromise for the lobby, because the lobby is not after actual rights, but rather public acceptance and validation. They don't want to be able to control each others' health decisions (they can already get a medical power of attorney to do that), they want daddy to accept their boyfriend.
    My dad loves my boyfriend. They both played football in high school, they are both similar thinkers. He had a case of the heeby geebies when I explained sex to him, but really it only bothers people for a little while unless the really are intrigued by it but worried that thinking about out curiously will less to them liking it.

    I really don't need validation from quizzlings, sorry your acceptance doesn't man that much to me. But marriage does afford some rights that I don't have. And a simple trip to the justice of the peace would have been easier than the the gobs of paperwork it took. I am forced to do it that way because of my spouses crotch and peoplethinking its icky.

    There is a boy, my lovers kid bro who is also gay, but 14 years old, just like his oldest bro he was told by his Christian father to go die in the gutter. His father is as much an abomination as anything else, he gave his child over to moloch. Why that is related to marriage is that Evan is Chris's guardian, but i am the only future that boy has, if good forbid something happens to Evan Chris us to return to the gutter and die ashis father ordered.

    My dad loves me my boyfriend loves my dad, mom too. Bro and his silly gf not too keen but it isn't his life.

    Honestly instead of knee jerk reaction learn about us. You don't have to accept us you can even think we are gross, but we are just people, just like anybody else.

  6. #186
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,154

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    How about this...leave it marriage, leave marriage alone..leave HUSBAND and WIFE the hell alone and homosexuals want to be the same...then let them choose who is the wife and who isnt...I now pronounce you HUSBAND and WIFE is in marriage ceremonies whether justice of the peace of Priest or Minister...and that should not be changed becasue a few want it so...you want to be equal then conform to the rest of the world...and choose whose the wife and whos the husband only then can you be equal really anyway
    Okay, is this the only concession you ask, done. Just repurpose a word, it would mean there would be make wives and female husbands, but words referring to crotches never meant much to me.

  7. #187
    Supreme knower of all
    CLAX1911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Houston, in the great state of Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,154

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    This is the kind of vitriolic bs that promulgates anger and frustration...gays and their cheerleaders...dont want equality they want to change the entire world for the majority..this has gotten to be more an ego trip than anything else.
    You want to denigrate religious people...you want to throw out the word marriage for the 94% you want to make it all generic...so 6% of the population can not only have equality they can have IT ALL THEIR WAY....know what..screw that..and that is said simply as fact not in any kind of anger whatsoever..
    It isn't an ego trip, the only reason gay people want to get married is the same reason straight people do, it isn't about ego, it is about sharing assets, domestic partnership. If it was not a angry post it was some other emotion, no reasonable person would have such an irrational position.

    Let me get this straight, gay people shouldn't want rights because it offends a majority? Why should I change my goals because it is something people don't like?

    In all reality what will change if gays can get married? Will anything really be different, aside from those dastardly gays taking care of their children or those gays being together and sharing ownership of assets, lord have mercy what is the world will crumble. Joint tax returns, next thing they will be having homosexual sex with each other.

    your post was pure heterosexual supremacy, if it wasn't anger that motivates such irrational beliefs what was it? or is it okay for the majority to oppress the minority? Of so why was it okay for the minority to want equality during the civil rights movement. I mean out was a minority dictating a majority, incidentals regarding why they are minorities aside that was minority redefining law. Really nothing happened but more people received liberty.

    Currently you think your liberty is in jeopardy, I will explain why that isn't true. Right now the only liberty you have is that the government condones your pair bonding but does not condone pair bonding of people of same sex. This is just government saying yeah, we like this. You eel loose absolutely nothing if two guys out two girls do it. It doesn't effect the sanctity of your marriage if it does I would think that you marriage is weak that it requires others to be married to matter.

    It is simple supremacy, nothing more.

  8. #188
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    I think people on this forum often forget that people can disagree with what they believe and still be good people. In the bigger picture this is really all rather absurd. It is often the case that if someone on this forum doesn't support every single gay rights issue they are treated like terrible oppressors even though there are gay people in other countries in the world who are being murdered or imprisoned by their governments. Posters on this forum often tend to ignore the points on which they agree and focus only on those where they disagree.

    I pay attention, its not the "GAYS" who do that the most, its non gay supporters desparately trying to show everyone how wonderful they are, how open and loving and progressive and I believe how full of **** some of them are. Some start off with the disclaimer Im straight, heterosexual, married and then the proceed to show everyone how they are going to defend gays from the big bad wolf. Laughable and I read them like a cheap comic book. Thats not to say there arent a few gays that just rewind their recorders and replay.
    Its the non gay supporters that throw around the most insults and are the most intense in attacking anyone that dares to say they do not support SSM, I liken it to the some of my best friends are black crowd who carry posters and wear t-shirts SEE, SEE, I am not a racist, its the same mentality.
    Ive tried many times to demonstrate that I am not Anti Gay, I am merely against SSM. The statement im not for gay marriage in itself overrides any thing else I can say and Im done explaining and I refuse to hide what I believe to belong or get along. Ill take the rough road thanks.
    All I will say is id have a drink with you and hang out long before Id hand with many of the straights on here including my new bestus buddy ever here.
    Thanks for being Civil Critical...but thats in somones genes...and if all gays and their supporters talked to others like you..the opposition to SSM would melt into a big puddle much quicker..NOW, thats it moving along.

  9. #189
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    Okay, is this the only concession you ask, done. Just repurpose a word, it would mean there would be make wives and female husbands, but words referring to crotches never meant much to me.
    Not repurpose words...leave the purpose

  10. #190
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by CLAX1911 View Post
    It isn't an ego trip, the only reason gay people want to get married is the same reason straight people do, it isn't about ego, it is about sharing assets, domestic partnership. If it was not a angry post it was some other emotion, no reasonable person would have such an irrational position.

    Let me get this straight, gay people shouldn't want rights because it offends a majority? Why should I change my goals because it is something people don't like?

    In all reality what will change if gays can get married? Will anything really be different, aside from those dastardly gays taking care of their children or those gays being together and sharing ownership of assets, lord have mercy what is the world will crumble. Joint tax returns, next thing they will be having homosexual sex with each other.

    your post was pure heterosexual supremacy, if it wasn't anger that motivates such irrational beliefs what was it? or is it okay for the majority to oppress the minority? Of so why was it okay for the minority to want equality during the civil rights movement. I mean out was a minority dictating a majority, incidentals regarding why they are minorities aside that was minority redefining law. Really nothing happened but more people received liberty.

    Currently you think your liberty is in jeopardy, I will explain why that isn't true. Right now the only liberty you have is that the government condones your pair bonding but does not condone pair bonding of people of same sex. This is just government saying yeah, we like this. You eel loose absolutely nothing if two guys out two girls do it. It doesn't effect the sanctity of your marriage if it does I would think that you marriage is weak that it requires others to be married to matter.

    It is simple supremacy, nothing more.

    Clax I do not think my liberty is in jeopardy at all, that was never an issue for me. Those that are ANTI GAY, like the religious right or just ignorant people that outright hate they have those feelings and ideas. I am against SSM and changing the entire process to fit a few and its the demanding and general attitude surrounding that...that gives me my attitude.
    If it were really about just sharing assets and legality...this whole debate would have been over by now. This is about going over that...They are demanding you WILL like two men getting married whether you like it or not and you WILL do it the way we want..because WE WANT and we are the righteous and you are a scumbag. Thats the feeling and attitude that makes me more adamant...again I am not anti gay..I am not for SSM as they want it.

Page 19 of 83 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •