View Poll Results: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, civil unions are an acceptable compromise.

    17 16.19%
  • No, they are not, because:

    55 52.38%
  • The government should not be involved with marriage, at all.

    25 23.81%
  • Other (Please Explain)

    8 7.62%
Page 17 of 83 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 830

Thread: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

  1. #161
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:22 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,292
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by lpast View Post
    Here's the problem with this argument. Whether the religious people or anyone else who feels marriage should only be used to describe a certain thing has their feelings hurt by others, who don't fit into their personal definition of marriage is not something that should be a consideration at all when it comes to people's rights.

    Thats wrong and thats the whole problem they dont feel its your RIGHT to change everything to fit the way you want it...you dont only want to marry you want to dominate how its done how its written and you dont want tradition or anyone elses desires even considered...at least thats the way you sound
    Bummer. You do not have a right not to be offended. It is not gay people's fault you are acting on irrational emotions. You should accept responsibility for your own emotional reactions.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #162
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    As far as the government is concerned, why does there need to be either?

    Seriously. The only way marriage/unions affect the government in any significant way is taxes. Pass a true flat tax, and marriage/unions become irrelevant. Get the government out of the issue entirely. People can marry or "unionize" to their individual heart's content, and in their own way.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #163
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,172

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    As far as the government is concerned, why does there need to be either?

    Seriously. The only way marriage/unions affect the government in any significant way is taxes. Pass a true flat tax, and marriage/unions become irrelevant. Get the government out of the issue entirely. People can marry or "unionize" to their individual heart's content, and in their own way.
    What about census/legal reasons?

  4. #164
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Civil unions are the way to go with the whole gay marriage issue. I am not against gay marriage, and I do have a lot of problems with religion. So I think I have a fair perspective on the issue. As an atheist, I dont care to have religions belife forced on me either socially or by the government. That being said, I would not find it fair to force the religious to accept gay marriage. I dont believe any church should be forced to marry two people who are not in line with the church. Those who are gay, should have an alternative path, which is civil unions. Civil unions should grant all the same benefits as a marriage from a church.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  5. #165
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    Civil unions are the way to go with the whole gay marriage issue. I am not against gay marriage, and I do have a lot of problems with religion. So I think I have a fair perspective on the issue. As an atheist, I dont care to have religions belife forced on me either socially or by the government. That being said, I would not find it fair to force the religious to accept gay marriage. I dont believe any church should be forced to marry two people who are not in line with the church. Those who are gay, should have an alternative path, which is civil unions. Civil unions should grant all the same benefits as a marriage from a church.
    For like the hundredth time, no church can ever be forced to marry two people for any reason. Churches now do not have to marry black couples, white couples, Asian couples, mixed couples, couples of basically any or even no religion, or basically they can refuse to marry any couple for absolutely any reason they want to. The religious rite/ceremony of marriage is completely left up to the church to decide if they want to perform it. The only reason churches sign the marriage license is because it is convenient. There are plenty of people in every state that can sign the marriage license.

    The name of the contract is marriage. A civil union under the law is something different. Different laws, different protections, different rights, and different benefits.

    Religion does not own the word marriage, no matter how much they want to claim it. My husband and I hired a Navy wife to perform our wedding. No religion involved at all. We are legally married. And it is unlikely that we could legitimately get married in any church since we aren't of any religion and most churches will not perform a wedding for any couple where at least one of them isn't of the religion of the church at the least.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #166
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,971
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    For like the hundredth time, no church can ever be forced to marry two people for any reason. Churches now do not have to marry black couples, white couples, Asian couples, mixed couples, couples of basically any or even no religion, or basically they can refuse to marry any couple for absolutely any reason they want to. The religious rite/ceremony of marriage is completely left up to the church to decide if they want to perform it. The only reason churches sign the marriage license is because it is convenient. There are plenty of people in every state that can sign the marriage license.

    The name of the contract is marriage. A civil union under the law is something different. Different laws, different protections, different rights, and different benefits.

    Religion does not own the word marriage, no matter how much they want to claim it. My husband and I hired a Navy wife to perform our wedding. No religion involved at all. We are legally married. And it is unlikely that we could legitimately get married in any church since we aren't of any religion and most churches will not perform a wedding for any couple where at least one of them isn't of the religion of the church at the least.
    Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  7. #167
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    For like the hundredth time, no church can ever be forced to marry two people for any reason. Churches now do not have to marry black couples, white couples, Asian couples, mixed couples, couples of basically any or even no religion, or basically they can refuse to marry any couple for absolutely any reason they want to. The religious rite/ceremony of marriage is completely left up to the church to decide if they want to perform it. The only reason churches sign the marriage license is because it is convenient. There are plenty of people in every state that can sign the marriage license.

    The name of the contract is marriage. A civil union under the law is something different. Different laws, different protections, different rights, and different benefits.

    Religion does not own the word marriage, no matter how much they want to claim it. My husband and I hired a Navy wife to perform our wedding. No religion involved at all. We are legally married. And it is unlikely that we could legitimately get married in any church since we aren't of any religion and most churches will not perform a wedding for any couple where at least one of them isn't of the religion of the church at the least.
    As long as they are not forced to marry people for fear of getting sued for discrimination, I am fine with it. However, Civil unions should have the same rights as marriges thru the church.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  8. #168
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    As long as they are not forced to marry people for fear of getting sued for discrimination, I am fine with it. However, Civil unions should have the same rights as marriges thru the church.
    No, the majority of states have already established that they want civil unions to be different than marriages. Some people do not want to be as legally involved as marriage would make them in a relationship so they want a civil union instead. Has nothing to do with religion, and everything to do with what legal marriage establishes between a couple.

    And churches do not own marriages. That is just how it is. Legal marriage is a civil contract that has nothing to do with religion. People need to keep their religion, their church out of mine and other people's marriages.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #169
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Bummer. You do not have a right not to be offended. It is not gay people's fault you are acting on irrational emotions. You should accept responsibility for your own emotional reactions.
    heh..well redress it should be obvious by now, that I dont much worry what anyone likes or does not like..I stand my ground on my own and I state how I feel. Its up to you to decide whether you like that or not...not me. I get to decide what I want to believe
    Im going to ignore the I dont have a right..thats not really worth addressing...I have a right to want what I believe in just like you.

    It would be much easier to avoid homosexual threads..since I know how overbearing and demanding and sarcastic and insulting you all get about it...then call anyone who disagrees with you names...Then blame them for causing it all...well, It should be apparent by now that doesnt make me miss a beat...and the reason I dont avoid these threads is because thats exactly what you all want, to intimidate anyone thats not for every single thing categorically that you want to stfu and im not going to do that anymore than you are...you cant intimidate me on this issue and thats what many attempt to do, hasnt worked and it will never work.
    Im done making disclaimers and trying to explain myself...people on the other side of this issue arent interested in any other point of view and they arent interested in anything any one else that doesnt agree has to say...they just vilify you..they twist your words and your meaning to fit their agenda.
    Im done explaining I dont hate anyone thats gay everyone can just believe whatever it is you want it really doesnt matter.

  10. #170
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,654

    re: Are civil unions an acceptable compromise for SSM?[W:237]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No, the majority of states have already established that they want civil unions to be different than marriages. Some people do not want to be as legally involved as marriage would make them in a relationship so they want a civil union instead. Has nothing to do with religion, and everything to do with what legal marriage establishes between a couple.

    And churches do not own marriages. That is just how it is. Legal marriage is a civil contract that has nothing to do with religion. People need to keep their religion, their church out of mine and other people's marriages.
    Actually, I argue that the State has legitimate interest to control marriage. It has every good reason to encourage people to live in the same household to stabilize society, especially when children (adopted, artificially inseminated, or not) are involved. Children in two parent households statistically do better in many of life's activities while growing up (not to say that the many wonderful single parents out there are diminished in their contributions in any way), and on their own. It only makes sense to me to encourage national gay marriage. In addition to my sincerest liberal belief in their [homosexuals] minority rights and the unfairness of their historical persecution, I think Government has a lot to offer through the regulation of marriage in addition to the pact with God an individual may additionally participate in.

    To me, it's more of a shame that religious dogmatism is preventing many from seeing the bigger social conservative possibilities in reestablishing primacy of the two-parent household in a demographic that has largely been denied that ability. Social conservatives have long noted the demise of the two-parent family, liberals talking about a massive amount of babies in wait for adoption, and now that they have the opportunity to amend those perceived wrongs, and they let the Bible get in the way! Such foolishness!
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 12-09-12 at 01:20 AM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

Page 17 of 83 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •