View Poll Results: How does this one end?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • A relatively minor deal will be struck in December

    21 53.85%
  • A major overhaul of our taxes and entitlements will occur

    2 5.13%
  • We will go over the cliff on Jan 1 and make a back-dated deal

    11 28.21%
  • We are in waterfall mode, ladies and gents. Grab your hardhats.

    5 12.82%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 68

Thread: Will we go over the Fiscal Cliff

  1. #21
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,292

    Re: Will we go over the Fiscal Cliff

    Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
    So, you don't think there is any chance they could find a way to make themselves useful?

    Well, yeh! The unemployed could show up at a "night soil" generator once each day to make a deposit. Jobs ain't zactly plentiful at this time. The Repubs lost and it is time to get behind the new management or move out of the country. I think the taxes will increase and should. I think Military Offense/Defense spending will be cut and should. I pray for some kind of co-ordinated push for honest renewable energy legislation. I desire that members of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission be replaced by real people instead of cheerleaders for Nuclear Power. I would like legislation advantageous to small farms. I would like legislation that grows a new industry/job source in balance with our future National and International responsibilities. All easier said than done, but a nice, pleasant dream, nevertheless.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Will we go over the Fiscal Cliff

    Quote Originally Posted by Smartmouthwoman View Post
    Let's don't get carried away with 5 decades. I was referring to the last 4 years of poor leadership in bringing Congress together. Yeah, yeah, Congress stinks and most of those good ole boys & gals have been there for decades... but never before in the history of the US have we had such a do-nothing record. Do you suppose it could have anything to do with the POTUS preferring to twitter and talk to college students about what he wants instead of addressing members of Congress?

    Nah, I didn't think you'd agree with that.

    Hell, the least he could do is invite John Boehner to play golf with him in the off-chance they might talk biz between mulligans.

    Do-nothing President begats Do-nothing Congress.

    We've got both.
    By your own admission, most members have been there longer than 4 years, so how could the POTUS "begat" something that pre-dated him?

    Zero logic.

    The House is under the influence of rw extremism, so long as it is, nothing significant will get through to the POTUS's desk to sign. Boehner has no control over the extremists, his hands are tied as the debt limit negotiations 1 1/2 years ago showed, there is nothing that can be done even when direct talks happen between him and the President.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  3. #23
    Guru
    Smartmouthwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 04:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,954

    Re: Will we go over the Fiscal Cliff

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    By your own admission, most members have been there longer than 4 years, so how could the POTUS "begat" something that pre-dated him?

    Zero logic.

    The House is under the influence of rw extremism, so long as it is, nothing significant will get through to the POTUS's desk to sign. Boehner has no control over the extremists, his hands are tied as the debt limit negotiations 1 1/2 years ago showed, there is nothing that can be done even when direct talks happen between him and the President.
    Sounds like you're saying there's no sense in trying to negotiate, so Obama shouldn't even try. Sounds like his logic... you're a good lil soldier.

    Here's another view on the subject:

    EXCLUSIVE: WHD Obtains Obama Plan to Fix Economy!
    by Keith Koffler on December 3, 2012, 11:12 am

    White House Dossier has just obtained President Obama’s plan to roll back the crushing long term costs of entitlements, reduce unemployment, and spur the economy back to normal growth.

    Given the importance of this information, we decided to share the plan with you immediately. Here it is:























    I think it’s clear that, despite having taken time out for golf three times already since Election Day, Obama is on the job. I hope you are as reassured as I am.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Will we go over the Fiscal Cliff

    Quote Originally Posted by Smartmouthwoman View Post
    Sounds like you're saying there's no sense in trying to negotiate, so Obama shouldn't even try. Sounds like his logic... you're a good lil soldier.

    Here's another view on the subject:
    Trying to negotiate with Boehner is pointless since he does not speak for the controlling interests in the House. You just can't seem to grasp the dynamics of the House, let alone what I have said so far.

    PS...linking to blogs where the WH proposals are not even posted is a sure sign of .... again.... not understanding the topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  5. #25
    Guru
    Smartmouthwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 04:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,954

    Re: Will we go over the Fiscal Cliff

    There is no such thing as POINTLESS when you're the POTUS. Boehner is simply doing what we elected him to do... curb Obama's excessive spending. If he wants a tax cut on the rich, he needs to come up with some spending cuts. Tit for tat... see how that works?

  6. #26
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Will we go over the Fiscal Cliff

    Quote Originally Posted by Smartmouthwoman View Post
    There is no such thing as POINTLESS when you're the POTUS. Boehner is simply doing what we elected him to do... curb Obama's excessive spending. If he wants a tax cut on the rich, he needs to come up with some spending cuts. Tit for tat... see how that works?
    You did not elect Boehner, he is not in control of the House, it is a myth that Obama has been spending dramatically above the last Bush years....but then you need to toss more noise into the discussion to distract from your original erroneous point....the President did not create the extremist environment in the House, the rw cons have...and they still have not gotten the message that they had better get on with passing a reasonable budget or face losing more seats come 2014.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  7. #27
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Will we go over the Fiscal Cliff

    A tiny little bandaid will be put on then 2-3 years later we will face the same issue again


  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Will we go over the Fiscal Cliff

    We will most assuredly go over the "fiscal cliff" because Obama wants most of the things that will happen on 1/1 to happen anyway.

  9. #29
    Guru
    Smartmouthwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Last Seen
    12-11-17 @ 04:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,954

    Re: Will we go over the Fiscal Cliff

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    You did not elect Boehner, he is not in control of the House, it is a myth that Obama has been spending dramatically above the last Bush years....but then you need to toss more noise into the discussion to distract from your original erroneous point....the President did not create the extremist environment in the House, the rw cons have...and they still have not gotten the message that they had better get on with passing a reasonable budget or face losing more seats come 2014.
    Since this statement started out with two untruths, won't bother pointing out the rest. Except you're wrong to say this level of dissention existed before Obama took office. He's the master when it comes to creating conflict. The man couldn't lead a troop of Girl Scouts out of a burning building.

  10. #30
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,819

    Re: Will we go over the Fiscal Cliff

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    We will most assuredly go over the "fiscal cliff" because Obama wants most of the things that will happen on 1/1 to happen anyway.
    He does NOT want taxes to go up on 98% of the people.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •