View Poll Results: Is it racist to ask immigrants to speak English?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    12 8.28%
  • No

    112 77.24%
  • Other -- explain

    21 14.48%
Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 383

Thread: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

  1. #81
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by LoopyPaladin View Post
    I hear people talking about this subject all the time, and I'm just curious.

    Is it racist to ask immigrants to speak English (or whatever language the country they immigrated to speaks) when in public places?

    Most just ignorance. Immigrants have always come here not speaking the language. It has been their children who have learned English.

    Now, if it bothers someone just hearing another language in public, well, there may be another issue there.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Most just ignorance. Immigrants have always come here not speaking the language. It has been their children who have learned English.

    Now, if it bothers someone just hearing another language in public, well, there may be another issue there.
    That's not true. It says right in the immigration laws that immigrants MUST be able to read, write and speak simple English with a FEW exceptions.

  3. #83
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Right, and we should change that. IMO, if we are going to have immigrants in the country, they need to be able to get by on their own, and learning the language is one step in the right direction. Classes in English should be mandatory for those waiting for citizenship (which takes YEARS, so there is plenty of time). It only makes sense to me.
    I'm talking about illegals but it's a nice concept, though probably not realistic yet.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  4. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    No person shall be naturalized as a citizen of the United States who cannot demonstrate: ... An understanding of the English language, including the ability to read, write and and speak words in ordinary usage in the English language.
    ... A knowledge and understanding of history, and of the principles and form of government, of the United States. ( Sec. 312. [8 U.S.C. 1423] )

  5. #85
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    That's not true. It says right in the immigration laws that immigrants MUST be able to read, write and speak simple English with a FEW exceptions.
    Read your history. Here in Iowa, I can drive your right down to Checz village. They had there own village because those who came here couldn't speak English. History, what really happened.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #86
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Yes, in the case of the Vietnamese, many immigrants were doctors, newspaper editors, and military officers. Not necessarily so, however, of visa-students from the People's Republic of China.

    Although I think this is basically unconscious, there is an underlying arrogance in many Americans' "inability" to learn other languages. We don't "have" to, and so we don't. Chalk it up to fear or whatever explanation that can be offered for the utter resistance to learn English, the fact is that there are many, many Hispanics who are unwilling, not unable, to step outside their comfort zones.

    I'm talking about early 20-somethings who either speak Spanish or refuse to speak at all, and I see this every time I shop at this store. No reason to have your 4-year old translating for you. Turn off the Telemundo novellas and try. I mean, I've known women from Middle Eastern countries who met their spouses once before marrying, flew to Chicago or wherever, and learned English by sitting at McDonald's and listening and by watching American soaps. And they do just fine.

    Why not these grocery-store mommies?
    Well I think the first wave immigrants learn it, but they tend to start the insular communities, where the proceeding waves move in and can function without learning it.
    They use the bi lingual people and immigrant stores as a crutch.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    I'm talking about illegals but it's a nice concept, though probably not realistic yet.
    It's not "nice," it's common sense. Immigrants need to learn things before becoming citizens of the country or they are just creating more poverty. THAT is realistic.

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Read your history. Here in Iowa, I can drive your right down to Checz village. They had there own village because those who came here couldn't speak English. History, what really happened.
    NOT according to the law. Did you read my post above (#84) which states the law?

  9. #89
    Frankernaut peepnklown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-16-15 @ 04:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    607

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Is it racist to ask immigrants to speak French in France?
    Is it racist to ask immigrants to speak Chinese in China?
    Is it racist to ask immigrants to speak Spanish in Mexico?
    I mean, come on people!
    'The whole universe is going to die!'

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    05-02-16 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,809

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by LoopyPaladin View Post
    I hear people talking about this subject all the time, and I'm just curious.

    Is it racist to ask immigrants to speak English (or whatever language the country they immigrated to speaks) when in public places?
    Pretty soon it will be racist to breath.

Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •