View Poll Results: Is it racist to ask immigrants to speak English?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    12 8.28%
  • No

    112 77.24%
  • Other -- explain

    21 14.48%
Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 383

Thread: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

  1. #341
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Lots of people get by without ever learning to speak English very well. My wife's Grandmother is nearly 90 and has been in the US since the late 60's, but she avoids speaking the little English that she knows as much as possible. Her not knowing English has not, nor will it ever, affect you people in any way. Freedom's a bitch. Get over it.
    Well that's a sweet story, but unfortunately granny is not an adequate representation of the non-English-speaking immigrant population.

  2. #342
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Well as soon as you post something other than lip service and lines like "The government has been deporting illegals at a higher rate than the previous administration did, I believe, so your evidence does nothing to support your claim, nor does it even really relate to your claim." You are correct the rate of deportation has nothing to do with supporting my claim. Nice strawman.
    Uhhhm, presenting evidence that the government is not bending over backwards to help illegals doesn't counter your claim that the government bends over backwards to help illegals and is a strawman?

    Do you know what a strawman is?

    I mean as soon as you post some hard evidence supporting your position like i did, we may have something here. Other wise you can take your hyperbole filled rant someplace else
    You posted no evidence of your claim. NONE. Not one shred of evidence of the govenrment bending over backwards to help illegals. Seriously. Nothing. you just made that bull**** up and took the uber-asinine position of "prove they don't" after posting completely unrelated nonsense.

    Because the Irish had it so rough compered to people like me, blacks who grew up in the 60's and 70's. I am sorry the Irish in the 20's and 30's maybe, but the 70's???? I weep for the white immigrants.
    And you want to accuse me of a strawman?!?!??

    you sir, are a hypocrite.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  3. #343
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well that's a sweet story, but unfortunately granny is not an adequate representation of the non-English-speaking immigrant population.
    And how much do you actually know about the non-English-speaking immigrant population? how many have you actually met, rather than simply encountering? What do you know of their stories? Their lives? Their struggles?

    My guess is sweet **** all.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  4. #344
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    By the way, to blackdog:

    Deportation of illegal immigrants increases under Obama administration

    there's hard evidence that you were talking out of your ass on the government bending over backwards nonsense. What do you have left besides strawmen and hypocricy?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  5. #345
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,499

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    By the way, to blackdog:

    Deportation of illegal immigrants increases under Obama administration

    there's hard evidence that you were talking out of your ass on the government bending over backwards nonsense. What do you have left besides strawmen and hypocricy?
    Obama is drawing flak from those who contend the administration is weak on border security and from those who are disappointed he has not done more to fulfill his campaign promise to help the country's estimated 11 million illegal residents.

    In other words, he is doing much of nothing. It does nothing to support anything you said. So they deported 25% more, 25% more of what? 400,000? With more than an estimated 11 million illegals in the the country, it is for show. You know it and I know it. Lie to someone who will not read the article.

    This literally does not show proof of anything you or I said either way. So they increased the number of criminal deportations? So what? Talk about strawman, you got some nerve.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #346
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,499

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Uhhhm, presenting evidence that the government is not bending over backwards to help illegals doesn't counter your claim that the government bends over backwards to help illegals and is a strawman?[/

    Do you know what a strawman is?
    You said that it was MY ARGUMENT, it was not and had nothing at all to do with MY argument. Do you know what you are reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    You posted no evidence of your claim. NONE. Not one shred of evidence of the govenrment bending over backwards to help illegals. Seriously. Nothing. you just made that bull**** up and took the uber-asinine position of "prove they don't" after posting completely unrelated nonsense.
    This is unrelated evidence?



    This is unrelated evidence?

    Over the past two years, as U.S. unemployment remained near double-digit levels and the economy shed jobs in the wake of the financial crisis, over a million foreign-born arrivals to America found work, many illegally.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    And you want to accuse me of a strawman?!?!??

    you sir, are a hypocrite.
    Not really but hey think what you want. Again I weep for the downtrodden white man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  7. #347
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    You said that it was MY ARGUMENT, it was not and had nothing at all to do with MY argument. Do you know what you are reading?
    You said "THE GOVERNMENT IS BENDING OVER BACKWARDS TO HELP ILLEGALS"



    This is unrelated evidence?

    To that claim? Absolutely. What is the government doing that even remotely qualifies as "bending over backwards"?

    This is unrelated evidence?

    Over the past two years, as U.S. unemployment remained near double-digit levels and the economy shed jobs in the wake of the financial crisis, over a million foreign-born arrivals to America found work, many illegally.
    Is the government hiring them? Of course not. So what does that have ot do with your claim? Oh, that's right: absolutely nothing.



    Not really but hey think what you want. Again I weep for the downtrodden white man.
    Again with the strawmen. Such hypocricy.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  8. #348
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    It does nothing to support anything you said.

    Actually, it proves undeniably that I am 100% correct in the claim that the government does not bend over backwards to help illegal immigrants. It also proves you to be 100% incorrec tin your claim that they do. It's really rather simple. You made a claim, I provided evidence which proves that the claim cannot possibly be true.

    Talk about strawman, you got some nerve.
    you should stop using words if you do not know what they mean. It turns you into a hypocrite when you do exactly what you falsely accuse others of doing.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #349
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,499

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Actually, it proves undeniably that I am 100% correct in the claim that the government does not bend over backwards to help illegal immigrants. It also proves you to be 100% incorrec tin your claim that they do. It's really rather simple. You made a claim, I provided evidence which proves that the claim cannot possibly be true.
    Wrong.

    The Obama administration will stop deporting and begin granting work permits to younger illegal immigrants who came to the U.S. as children and have since led law-abiding lives. The election-year initiative addresses a top priority of an influential Latino electorate that has been vocal in its opposition to administration deportation policies. - Obama Jobs Program: Help Illegals Compete with Americans for Scarce Jobs

    Washington state and New Mexico are the only states that currently allow illegal immigrants to get licenses. Utah allows driving permits. As the fifth most populous state, Illinois would be the biggest state to adopt such a law. - Illinois may grant driver's licenses to illegal immigrants - Yahoo! News

    Nearly 2,500 students who are in the country illegally received more than $9.5 million in state higher education grants in fiscal year 2010, the most recent figures available from the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. There were 16,476 illegal-immigrant students paying resident tuition rates, meaning more than 1 in 7 get state financial aid as well. - Thousands of illegal immigrants paying in-state tuition rates also get Texas financial aid | Texas Regional News - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

    The Obama initiative represents more of a reprieve than a redemption for these teens and young adults, many of whom have lived in the United States since childhood. It does not create a path to citizenship but does defer deportations and permit young undocumented immigrants to come out of the shadows. The deportation deferrals last two years, and must then be renewed.

    The work permits essentially allow holders to live in the daylight; they will be able to obtain Social Security numbers and driver’s licenses and apply for financial aid for college. They will be able to open bank accounts and seek certifications to work as nurses and electricians.
    - Today, children of illegal immigrants can come out of the shadows | Get Schooled

    Yea deporting a few percentage points more for what? 1 year? Makes a hell of an argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    you should stop using words if you do not know what they mean. It turns you into a hypocrite when you do exactly what you falsely accuse others of doing.
    It is exactly what you did. You act like that was my only argument. Go back and read the initial post. Yes you did exactly what I said, how this makes me a hypocrite when I have done nothing of the sort is amazing.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 12-14-12 at 11:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #350
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    And how much do you actually know about the non-English-speaking immigrant population? how many have you actually met, rather than simply encountering? What do you know of their stories? Their lives? Their struggles?

    My guess is sweet **** all.
    How about stats and studies. Here's one study about the problems that arise when immigrants have sub par English skills. As you can see by the study, non-English-speaking immigrant teens have a higher drop-out rate, which in turn leads to poverty, which in turn leads for more people on the system. Why? Because their lack of English holds them back in school. Perhaps this is one contributing factor as to why our students test so low compared to other countries.

    I'm sure I can find more if this isn't good enough.

    A Look at Immigrant Youth: Prospects and Promising Practices

    The United States is facing an unprecedented challenge in serving immigrant youth. Today’s immigrants arrive from widely diverse source countries, and are increasingly likely to resettle in nontraditional states and in rural communities, areas that often have the least experience and/or infrastructure to help students learn English and adapt to their new schools and neighborhoods. With immigration levels sustained at well over one million arrivals per year, immigrant students are entering public schools in record numbers. This has tremendous implications for program development, curricula, and funding.

    Immigrants and language minority students (i.e., English learners) are among the fastest growing populations in U.S. public schools. The Urban Institute finds that the share of children enrolled in kindergarten through 12th grade that is composed of children of immigrants (including both foreign-born children and U.S.-born children with foreign-born parents) more than tripled from 6 to 20 percent between 1970 and 2000. By 2015, if current immigration levels continue, children of immigrants will constitute 30 percent of the nation’s school population.

    The number of students lacking English proficiency has also increased dramatically. Enrollment in 2000-2001 was 4.6 million or about 10 percent of total school enrollment (pre-K through 12th grade), an increase of 105 percent over 1990-1991. The top five languages spoken by limited English proficient (LEP) students in 2000-2001 were Spanish (79%), Vietnamese (2%), Hmong (1.6%), Cantonese (1%) and Korean (1%). As of 2002-2003, approximately 5 million LEP students were enrolled in grades pre-K through 12, nearly double the 2.7 million in 1992-1993.

    Most children of immigrants fare well, but immigrant teens can face unique challenges related to language proficiency, cultural and social adaptation and poverty. Newly arriving immigrant teenagers have a very limited time to learn English, study the required material for high stakes tests, and catch up to their native English speaking peers before graduation. Consequently, dropout rates are significantly higher for immigrants and for LEP youth. On the other hand, immigrant youth who have mastered English often experience family role-reversal, when they are called on as translators or interpreters for family interactions with the outside world. Finally, one in four poor children lives in an immigrant family. Their parents often work multiple jobs or shift work to support their families, which drains the time available to supervise their children or assist with their homework or school activities. This paper outlines the demographics of LEP and immigrant youth and some of the challenges facing them and institutions that serve them, including new requirements in the No Child Left Behind Act for assessments, staffing and parental involvement. The report also identifies some creative programmatic responses to serve LEP and immigrant children and their parents through newcomer schools, parent outreach and training, and after school programs.

Page 35 of 39 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •