View Poll Results: Is it racist to ask immigrants to speak English?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    12 8.28%
  • No

    112 77.24%
  • Other -- explain

    21 14.48%
Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 383

Thread: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

  1. #311
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I am learning Spanish because I have to, not because I enjoy learning another lang.
    You don't have to learn Spanish, BD, you choose to. Don't play the victim.

    Just because you don't enjoy it doesn't mean it isn't your choice. You can choose to move to British Guyana, for example, where English will suit you fine or you can get more mileage out of your German by going to Suriname (because Dutch shares many linguistic properties with German).
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  2. #312
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Lots of people get by without ever learning to speak English very well. My wife's Grandmother is nearly 90 and has been in the US since the late 60's, but she avoids speaking the little English that she knows as much as possible. Her not knowing English has not, nor will it ever, affect you people in any way. Freedom's a bitch. Get over it.
    Unless I'm making passionate love to her, and I hit my head on the wall and subsequently have a heart attack and she she needs to call an ambulance, and as she has trouble communicating with the person on the other end of the phone, I die.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  3. #313
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    What difference does it make if someone never wants to learn how to read? The only person it has any effect on is them. If they don't see learning how to read as beneficial, then why should they do it?
    Because of problems it is causing in our society. I know people who are qualified for a job but you need to be bilingual or know Spanish. I mean in all honesty it is because of the catering by the government that is the real problem, not the people.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Good for you. You're making the choice to learn Spanish because you feel it is a sign of respect to the people who live in whatever country you are going to (I just hope it ain't Brazil, Suriname, or French Guiana or else you're learning Spanish for nothing). I'm sure it will also benefit you to know the native language far more than it shows them respect, though. But it's very altruistic of you to do it entirely for their sakes.
    No need to pander or insult my intelligence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #314
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    You don't have to learn Spanish, BD, you choose to. Don't play the victim.
    Who is playing the victim? What is your problem?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    Just because you don't enjoy it doesn't mean it isn't your choice. You can choose to move to British Guyana, for example, where English will suit you fine or you can get more mileage out of your German by going to Suriname (because Dutch shares many linguistic properties with German).
    Again don't insult my intelligence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #315
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I know people who are qualified for a job but you need to be bilingual or know Spanish.
    If they aren't bilingual and don't know Spanish, then they aren't qualified for a job where being bilingual and knowing Spanish are requirements.


    No need to pander or insult my intelligence.
    I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, BD. I'm sorry if you felt that I was. I'm just trying to illustrate the fact that it is a choice you are making for yourself, not something you have to do for others.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #316
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,027

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    no ,they have to know how to communicate with you if they are in your country as an immigrant

    l voted yes by mistake
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  7. #317
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Who is playing the victim? What is your problem?
    When you say you have to do something when it's actually your choice to do something, you are playing the victim. I'm sorry if you don't like the fact that I am not pussyfooting around the issue, but it is what it is. .



    Again don't insult my intelligence.
    If you already know you are making a choice, then why do you keep saying "I have to learn Spanish"?

    You see, in order for that to be an insult to your intelligence, you have to know it is true already. But you are using words which imply that you don't know that it is true already. If you are using words which imply that you don't already know that it is true, how can I possibly know that you already know it's true?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  8. #318
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    By teh way, BD, I'm not angry or anything, nor am I trying to insult you. I'm just being me, which is direct and honest.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  9. #319
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,513

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    By teh way, BD, I'm not angry or anything, nor am I trying to insult you. I'm just being me, which is direct and honest.
    Translations on the internet are often that way.

    The problem is some people come here and instead of wanting to be part of our society, they want to reap the befits give nothing back. Then they have the nerve to thumb there noses at our society and system. I know it is not a majority, at least I hope not, but far to many. I may be jaded because I grew up in Chicago, no matter as I have seen it. Then on top of that we have the government bending over backwards to help illegals etc while our own people get the shaft.

    If you are going to live someplace, learn the language. Show at least a little respect for the country that took you in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #320
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,563

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    If they aren't bilingual and don't know Spanish, then they aren't qualified for a job where being bilingual and knowing Spanish are requirements.




    I'm not trying to insult your intelligence, BD. I'm sorry if you felt that I was. I'm just trying to illustrate the fact that it is a choice you are making for yourself, not something you have to do for others.
    If being "bilingual" in only English/Spanish is a "job requrement" in the USA then one must ask just why that is. Do we honestly wish to have that situation? Is it "fair" to exclude the other four "official" languages of the UN?

    Official languages of the United Nations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •