View Poll Results: Is it racist to ask immigrants to speak English?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    12 8.28%
  • No

    112 77.24%
  • Other -- explain

    21 14.48%
Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 383

Thread: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

  1. #161
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Explain what you mean by a "more liberal immigration policy" please.
    More work visas particularly unskilled/semi-skilled based upon market needs and no prejudice in getting them if you have been here illegally. Fine them if you want for past violation. You can be here and travel back and forth related to your work but if you are not working, you go home. Children born of those workers in the US not eligible for US citizenship. Employers in fields hiring these unskilled workers would have to demonstrate a need to have them unless it were a field where it were a more obvious need like agriculture. Current law takes care of the wage issue as I think they require the prevailing wage to be the minimum wage, which is sometimes above the actual minimum wage, thereby taking the cheap labor incentive off low wage jobs.

  2. #162
    User LoopyPaladin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Earth.
    Last Seen
    07-13-13 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    86

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    This what? Does that mean you think it is or is not racist?
    I was referring to his comment. His point of view is what I was trying to say when I say "racist".
    I don't solve problems, I create them.

  3. #163
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Say we never have an official language, and then we have all of these non-English speakers, all speaking their native languages, are we to deny them drivers licenses? Because, I mean, they can't read road signs, so they would totally be a hazard on the roads. Or are we supposed to spend buku bucks on printing everything in God knows how many different languages?
    Safety signs go by shape. No reading required. We already know they get around quite fine. And business usually prints most of the things they read, and government has no role in governing that. We have an English only law here. Cost us millions and did nothing.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #164
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Really? Most of them? I tried to get one to move his truck at Home Depot today, but he lacked that "language function" said something about "no habla" and walked off.
    Yet you were still going to hire him, and we have a lot evidence that they do get hired.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #165
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcogito View Post
    They certainly make their own life more inconvenient for not speaking English but that is on them.

    And you do have to be able to read road signs to get a driver’s license. It is on the test. They don’t show one picture with STOP on it and another with ALTO. If they can’t pass the test then no driver’s license.
    No drivers license (in many communities) AND being unable to speak English are obstacles to success. In one of my earlier posts, I cited the law that immigrants (legal ones) are supposed to have at least a basic knowledge of how to read, write and speak English, so that would tell me that most of the problems lie with illegal immigrants, and that is a huge complicated issue but one that has to be tackled because we can't just keep accommodating everyone.

  6. #166
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,562

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Yet you were still going to hire him, and we have a lot evidence that they do get hired.
    Of course they get hired, why else would they come here? Who else will work hard for $8/hour, live six to a room and think that they are rich enough to send half of their pay home?
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  7. #167
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by LoopyPaladin View Post
    I was referring to his comment. His point of view is what I was trying to say when I say "racist".
    How does his comment relate to the OP question (you ARE the original poster)? So? People from the same ethnic groups sometimes speak different languages? So how does that relate to the OP question?

  8. #168
    User LoopyPaladin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Earth.
    Last Seen
    07-13-13 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    86

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    How does his comment relate to the OP question (you ARE the original poster)? So? People from the same ethnic groups sometimes speak different languages? So how does that relate to the OP question?
    It relates because there's been some argument about my wording when I used the word "racist". I understand that there are people of the same race that immigrate to Canada and the Us that speak different languages, and so I was just clarifying for anyone who saw that post that that's what I meant when I said racist.
    I don't solve problems, I create them.

  9. #169
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    More work visas particularly unskilled/semi-skilled based upon market needs and no prejudice in getting them if you have been here illegally. Fine them if you want for past violation. You can be here and travel back and forth related to your work but if you are not working, you go home. Children born of those workers in the US not eligible for US citizenship. Employers in fields hiring these unskilled workers would have to demonstrate a need to have them unless it were a field where it were a more obvious need like agriculture. Current law takes care of the wage issue as I think they require the prevailing wage to be the minimum wage, which is sometimes above the actual minimum wage, thereby taking the cheap labor incentive off low wage jobs.
    I agree with some of the points in your post, but we DON'T have an endless supply of jobs, and you HAVE to crack down hard on illegal immigration or else it will never stop. Some employers will actually seek them out just because they save on paying taxes themselves, and they get to skeeve them out of a living wage.

    I wonder if other countries have the problems with illegal immigration that we have?

  10. #170
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Is it racist to ask for immigrants to speak English?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Of course they get hired, why else would they come here? Who else will work hard for $8/hour, live six to a room and think that they are rich enough to send half of their pay home?
    Exactly, a lot of times illegal immigrants come here for jobs and send the money back home to their families because the families do not accompany them, so they are NOT really contributing to the economy too much under those circumstances either.

Page 17 of 39 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •