View Poll Results: What do you suppose has stopped more violent crime?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Choice A: Cell Phone

    14 29.17%
  • Choice B: Revolver

    34 70.83%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 99

Thread: What do you suppose has stopped more violent crime?

  1. #61
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,167

    Re: What do you suppose has stopped more violent crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Witnesses stop crimes, because criminals don't want to get caught. The prominence of cell phones has drastically increased the chance for witnesses to see a crime. The poll seems to expect that the criminal will fear the police literally showing up and rescuing the victim in the middle of being mugged. That's insane. But every potential person around is a danger to the criminal. Every cell phone in the hands of everyone who could call the police, take a photo, or capture of a video is that much greater chance that the criminal will be caught. Thugs do not fear that their victims might be armed. They fear capture later on. No one's fantasies of being John Wayne and valiantly shooting the black hats is going to change that. If you are met with violence, and respond with violence, odds are just that you're going to die. You have a lot more to lose. And you will lose.

    Get over yourselves.

    Oddly enough I've met violence with violence many times, and I'm still here. If I'd cowered and done nothing, I'm pretty sure I'd be dead.

    I know quite a few more people who can say the same.

    This biz about "John Wayne fantasies" is a strawman argument, not to mention insulting. Quite a few of us have used weapons in real life to prevent or stop a crime, and your belittling of that is quite offensive.
    Last edited by Goshin; 12-02-12 at 09:05 PM.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  2. #62
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,625

    Re: What do you suppose has stopped more violent crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Witnesses stop crimes, because criminals don't want to get caught. The prominence of cell phones has drastically increased the chance for witnesses to see a crime. The poll seems to expect that the criminal will fear the police literally showing up and rescuing the victim in the middle of being mugged. That's insane. But every potential person around is a danger to the criminal. Every cell phone in the hands of everyone who could call the police, take a photo, or capture of a video is that much greater chance that the criminal will be caught. Thugs do not fear that their victims might be armed. They fear capture later on. No one's fantasies of being John Wayne and valiantly shooting the black hats is going to change that. If you are met with violence, and respond with violence, odds are just that you're going to die. You have a lot more to lose. And you will lose.

    Get over yourselves.
    You seem to contradict yourself here, so your answer should be neither. If criminals feared later identification making the cell phone more "scary" than the firearm, but yet the cell phone is non-lethal and easily defeated by the perp simply taking/destroying that phone and/or rendering the victim/witness unable to testify. The best answer is to have both, one to stop the perp and the other to request backup or report other emergencies.
    Last edited by ttwtt78640; 12-02-12 at 08:57 PM.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: What do you suppose has stopped more violent crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by H. Lee White View Post
    What do you suppose has stopped more violent crime?

    A: Potential victim producing a cell phone and promising to call the police to report the attacker, should he not go away.
    B: Potential victim producing a revolver and promising to perforate the attacker, should he not go away.
    Definitely B. If the attacker has a weapon, he/she can easily prevent you from using your phone.

  4. #64
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,771

    Re: What do you suppose has stopped more violent crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by H. Lee White View Post
    Now that you're done avoiding the question, how about answering it..
    A or B?
    I answered the question. I just didn't give you the answer you wanted.

    Your poll is rigged. I'm thinking about selecting A just as a joke.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  5. #65
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,167

    Re: What do you suppose has stopped more violent crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    I answered the question. I just didn't give you the answer you wanted.

    Your poll is rigged. I'm thinking about selecting A just as a joke.
    It's simple enough. If you could only have one as a tool to respond to an imminent violent crime, which would you prefer?

    Pretty easy answer IMO. Of course, I'd prefer to have both, naturally... and I almost always do have both.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  6. #66
    Sidewalk Inspector
    Utility Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,100

    Re: What do you suppose has stopped more violent crime?

    I answered A, Because kids use cell phones and also because of the various gun laws(restrictions). IMO, statistically wise an aggressor is more likely to be driven off via a cell phone, especially in a city. Besides 34% of US households are wireless only.

    An estimated 240 million calls are made to 9-1-1 in the U.S. each year. According to the FCC, one-third are wireless calls; in many communities, it’s one-half or more of all 9-1-1 calls.
    9-1-1 Statistics - National Emergency Number Association
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    There were, by most estimates, 500 Nazis in Charlottesville. One of them went homicidal. Not all Nazis are violent extremists. You are trying to rationalize your hatred and it's simply not rational.
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    as I noted, its better that 10 nutjobs get guns than one good person be wrongly disarmed.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The great lakes
    Last Seen
    06-12-13 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: What do you suppose has stopped more violent crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    I answered the question. I just didn't give you the answer you wanted.
    There are two possible answers.*
    Unless you pick A or B (or C, below) you're avoiding the question.
    Don't avoid the question.

    * I suppose it is possible that the numbers are the same, leaving C: The same.
    The remainder of the point stands.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: What do you suppose has stopped more violent crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Utility Man View Post
    I answered A, Because kids use cell phones and also because of the various gun laws(restrictions). IMO, statistically wise an aggressor is more likely to be driven off via a cell phone, especially in a city. Besides 34% of US households are wireless only.
    You must be joking. How on earth would a violent criminal be scared off by a cellphone, especially if he can just take it from you because you have NO weapon with which to defend yourself or your property? Chances are more likely that you will get your cellphone stolen along with any other valuables you have on yourself, and you might even get beaten or, God forbid, killed.

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    The great lakes
    Last Seen
    06-12-13 @ 02:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: What do you suppose has stopped more violent crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by Utility Man View Post
    I answered A, Because kids use cell phones and also because of the various gun laws(restrictions). IMO, statistically wise an aggressor is more likely to be driven off via a cell phone, especially in a city. Besides 34% of US households are wireless only.
    So, you believe that more criminals are stopped directly by the threat of a phone call from the imminent victim simply because of the sheer number of poeple that carry cell phones.
    Interesting.

  10. #70
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,167

    Re: What do you suppose has stopped more violent crime?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    You must be joking. How on earth would a violent criminal be scared off by a cellphone, especially if he can just take it from you because you have NO weapon with which to defend yourself or your property? Chances are more likely that you will get your cellphone stolen along with any other valuables you have on yourself, and you might even get beaten or, God forbid, killed.

    Well, in all fairness if you see a situation developing early enough to call 911 and get the police out there BEFORE the critical moment arrives, the cell phone works well enough... the problem of course is that it doesn't always work that way.


    When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away... maybe... if yer lucky....

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •