View Poll Results: See thread title.

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    2 8.00%
  • No

    23 92.00%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 68

Thread: Was the "Satanic panic" of the 1980s/early 1990s a legitimate concern?

  1. #11
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: Was the "Satanic panic" of the 1980s/early 1990s a legitimate concern?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    A lot of people whose lives have been ruined? That's a stretch. Have an example of someone who was falsely accused, etc?
    West Memphis Three is a pretty famous one. Some will argue they were guilty, but the Satanic connotations pursued by the authorities made the trial a joke.

  2. #12
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: Was the "Satanic panic" of the 1980s/early 1990s a legitimate concern?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
    The Wikipedia article is based on references. You are free to check the quality of them.
    Those references as well as its quality and the very purpose they were stated there among other references and even facts stand on search engine results foundations.

    Example:

    Issue A has 100 search engine results (i.e., it is mentioned 100 times in Google, Yahoo, etc) and has 50 references
    Issue B has 10 search engine results and has 50 references also.

    They go A, its final, and no fact on ground (e.g., pictures, documents, arguments) can ever change the popular statement. They go by popularity rather than facts. Cause you see that is how Wiki survives by being popular. And it becomes popular by checking what search engine results provide.

    Back on topic now...

  3. #13
    Guru
    Ben K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,717

    Re: Was the "Satanic panic" of the 1980s/early 1990s a legitimate concern?

    Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    Those references as well as its quality and the very purpose they were stated there among other references and even facts stand on search engine results foundations.

    Example:

    Issue A has 100 search engine results (i.e., it is mentioned 100 times in Google, Yahoo, etc) and has 50 references
    Issue B has 10 search engine results and has 50 references also.

    They go A, its final, and no fact on ground (e.g., pictures, documents, arguments) can ever change the popular statement. They go by popularity rather than facts. Cause you see that is how Wiki survives by being popular. And it becomes popular by checking what search engine results provide.

    Back on topic now...
    Some of which will be news articles, videos, pictures which you would have accepted in the OP, even though there won't be any conflicting interpretation presented in the OP. Why would that be a more accurate basis for discussion? You are still free to check the quality of a Wikipedia article as you would a BBC news report and present a conflicting interpretation as you wish.

  4. #14
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: Was the "Satanic panic" of the 1980s/early 1990s a legitimate concern?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
    Some of which will be news articles, videos, pictures which you would have accepted in the OP, even though there won't be any conflicting interpretation presented in the OP. Why would that be a more accurate basis for discussion? You are still free to check the quality of a Wikipedia article as you would a BBC news report and present a conflicting interpretation as you wish.
    Those of which would be selected a priory based on search engine results first though.

    Ok, could you open up a thread about whether Wiki is credible? Otherwise us debating that here will only hijack the thread.

  5. #15
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Was the "Satanic panic" of the 1980s/early 1990s a legitimate concern?

    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #16
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Was the "Satanic panic" of the 1980s/early 1990s a legitimate concern?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    A lot of people whose lives have been ruined? That's a stretch. Have an example of someone who was falsely accused, etc?
    You can't be serious.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #17
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Was the "Satanic panic" of the 1980s/early 1990s a legitimate concern?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    You can't be serious.
    Yes - I am . . . he brought it up I thought with a little prodding he'd point out who was wrongly accused so we can talk about specifics. . . and so on.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  8. #18
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,186

    Re: Was the "Satanic panic" of the 1980s/early 1990s a legitimate concern?

    Quote Originally Posted by Graffias View Post
    I still remember a friend I had in grade school who had Christian fundamentalist parents who would play heavy metal songs backwards to see if there were any Satanic lyrics to them.
    It's not over. I've heard that if you play Nickelback records backwards, there's satanic messages. It gets worse though- if you play it forwards you hear Nickelback.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Was the "Satanic panic" of the 1980s/early 1990s a legitimate concern?

    Quote Originally Posted by Einzige View Post
    Satanic ritual abuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    No, and I think a lot of people owe a lot of other people whose lives have been ruined a collective apology.
    Is there some point you're trying to make by bringing up these trials from over 30 years ago?

  10. #20
    Elitist as Hell.
    Einzige's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-29-16 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Was the "Satanic panic" of the 1980s/early 1990s a legitimate concern?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Is there some point you're trying to make by bringing up these trials from over 30 years ago?
    Should we never discuss the Salem Witch Trials because they were over three hundred years ago?
    I dip my forefinger in the watery blood of your impotent mad-redeemer (your Divine Democrat — your Hebrew Madman) and write over his thorn-torn brow, “The true prince of Evil — the king of the Slaves!”
    - Ragnar Redbeard, Might Is Right, 1890

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •