View Poll Results: Which one is it?

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christmas Tree.

    111 81.02%
  • Holiday Tree.

    8 5.84%
  • I'm too broke to care.

    18 13.14%
Page 48 of 52 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast
Results 471 to 480 of 514

Thread: Christmas Tree vs Holiday Tree

  1. #471
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Christmas Tree vs Holiday Tree

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Fang View Post
    A manger scene is not snarky. It is a symbol of the birth of Jesus. YOUR symbol belittles others' beliefs. Therefore, snarky and bitchy too.

    It just oozes with the spirit of tolerance and ecumenism, doesn't it? The average blind person realizes that he or she is blind, you know.
    Yes, I was talking about "your side's" tolerance level. They just can't stand to look at a manger because in their paranoid mind it means someone is mocking them, so they have to "one up" the decoration by placing a sign with a rude and bitchy euphemism. Sorry, that is you guys being intolerant. I guess you really ARE blind aren't you? Blinded by your own paranoia that is.

  2. #472
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    02-15-14 @ 04:49 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,939

    Re: Christmas Tree vs Holiday Tree

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Yes, I was talking about "your side's" tolerance level. They just can't stand to look at a manger because in their paranoid mind it means someone is mocking them, so they have to "one up" the decoration by placing a sign with a rude and bitchy euphemism. Sorry, that is you guys being intolerant. I guess you really ARE blind aren't you? Blinded by your own paranoia that is.
    I'll try again. You can have NO religions/beliefs represented on public property, or you can have ALL religions/beliefs represented on public property. If you want to put up a manger scene on public property, you have to be willing to tolerate whatever symbols of their own beliefs others wish to display. I gather you are not tolerant enough to go that far and want the manger scene and whatever other overtly Christian symbolization to have a right of exclusivity, just as some wish to restrict tree nomenclature and stamp out Happy Holidays while enforcing Merry Christmas.

  3. #473
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Christmas Tree vs Holiday Tree

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Fang View Post
    I'll try again. You can have NO religions/beliefs represented on public property, or you can have ALL religions/beliefs represented on public property. If you want to put up a manger scene on public property, you have to be willing to tolerate whatever symbols of their own beliefs others wish to display. I gather you are not tolerant enough to go that far and want the manger scene and whatever other overtly Christian symbolization to have a right of exclusivity, just as some wish to restrict tree nomenclature and stamp out Happy Holidays while enforcing Merry Christmas.
    Who said I wanted to put up a manger scene? You are totally assuming things and meanwhile making yourself look like an ass.

  4. #474
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    02-15-14 @ 04:49 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,939

    Re: Christmas Tree vs Holiday Tree

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Who said I wanted to put up a manger scene? You are totally assuming things and meanwhile making yourself look like an ass.
    Hiding behind a pretense of not having recognized the collective "you" as distinct from the individual "you"? The points are plain. I understand that you (individually) are not able to address them.

  5. #475
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Christmas Tree vs Holiday Tree

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Fang View Post
    Hiding behind a pretense of not having recognized the collective "you" as distinct from the individual "you"? The points are plain. I understand that you (individually) are not able to address them.
    I recognize the difference between the collective "you" as distinct from the individual "you." The points ARE plain. YOU accused me of hypocrisy. Now point it out.

  6. #476
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Christmas Tree vs Holiday Tree

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Yes, I was talking about "your side's" tolerance level. They just can't stand to look at a manger because in their paranoid mind it means someone is mocking them, so they have to "one up" the decoration by placing a sign with a rude and bitchy euphemism. Sorry, that is you guys being intolerant. I guess you really ARE blind aren't you? Blinded by your own paranoia that is.
    Atheists are by no means organized like organized religion is. Sure there are some small vocal local groups in places, but they do not represent Atheists at all, they are doing their own thing we do not vote on what they do. There is no reason that all of the actions of other Atheists should be blamed on a individual Atheist. Personally I have never complained about anything religious officially or publicly by posting signs etc. Normally theists stay within the realm of respect of other people and beliefs. But sometimes they do not.

    Blaming every Atheist for the actions of a handful of radicals makes as much sense as blaming all religious people for the actions of westboro idiots or Islamic terrorist.

  7. #477
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    04-03-13 @ 11:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    458

    Re: Christmas Tree vs Holiday Tree

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    Which one is it?
    Winter Solstice tree, from the pagan tradition.

    We Catholics ripped it off. Along with wedding bands.

  8. #478
    Professor
    Saboteur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,234

    Re: Christmas Tree vs Holiday Tree

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    Which one is it?
    Festivus Pole

    History of Festivus - YouTube
    “We must picture hell as a state where everyone is perpetually concerned about his own dignity and advancement, where everyone has a grievance, and where everyone lives with the deadly serious passions of envy, self-importance, and resentment.”
    ― C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

  9. #479
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: Christmas Tree vs Holiday Tree

    Holiday tree is ridiculous.

    You say "Happy Holidays" during this time period because there are a few religions that celebrate holidays during this time of the year.

    The Christmas tree...is well part of the celebration of Christmas.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  10. #480
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: Christmas Tree vs Holiday Tree

    Quote Originally Posted by mr4anarchy View Post
    Winter Solstice tree, from the pagan tradition.

    We Catholics ripped it off. Along with wedding bands.
    Pretty normal for any religion.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

Page 48 of 52 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •