Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 295

Thread: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

  1. #81
    Guru
    Muddy Creek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 09:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,103

    re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    AIDS is a disease that for the most part is due to promiscuous sex or drug abuse and IMO taking money from things like childhood leukemia, MS, Parkinson's etc and giving it to a group of people who pretty much deserve what they got is a huge waste of resources. The only reason we spend so much money on it is that so many people that have it or fear they may contract it are so vocal and being gay is
    so trendy as a current human right. So heres the question, should we be funding research to cure these people or worse yet find a vaccine to let them engage in their risky lifestyle with no consequences?

    EDIT: sorry I blew the poll part but I would be interested in your opinions.
    9 year old Ryan White was not only NOT promiscuous, he was also not gay.

    Of COURSE we should spend money on AIDS research and helping those with it who don't have insurance to get whatever treatment is available. YOU pay for all the HEART transplants for Cheney and HE"S making TRILLIONS on these wars. Why wouldn't you help someone who contracted AIDS?
    Alex Carey:

    ... the 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.

    Australian social scientist, quoted by Noam Chomsky in World Orders Old and New

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
    9 year old Ryan White was not only NOT promiscuous, he was also not gay.

    Of COURSE we should spend money on AIDS research and helping those with it who don't have insurance to get whatever treatment is available. YOU pay for all the HEART transplants for Cheney and HE"S making TRILLIONS on these wars. Why wouldn't you help someone who contracted AIDS?
    Yes the poor kid would be in that tiny 1% sliver in the pie chart whereas 100% of kids with childhood leukemia would be in that piece of pie. See the difference?

  3. #83
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    My opinion on this is based on logic
    "ONLY TEH GAYZ HAVE AIDS AND THEY DEZURVE IT!!!" is not logic


  4. #84
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Yes the poor kid would be in that tiny 1% sliver in the pie chart whereas 100% of kids with childhood leukemia would be in that piece of pie. See the difference?
    "Childhood luekemia" is just a red herring you keep throwing out to disguise your hatred of gays.

    FAR more money is spend on diseases - and diseases others can not be infected with - with or without the person's participation - than AIDS for which the person is the cause of the disease.

    The amount of money spent on research and treatment of lung cancer, OCPD, and heart disease dwarfs what is spend on AIDS in this country. Behaviors of smoking, obesity, bad diet, lack of exercise are all known to be the primary causes of those #1, #2, and #3 causes of pre-mature death - and the amount of money spend on medical care, treatment and research dwarfs HIV/AIDS.

    Nor can anyone with such a disease give it to another person - meaning there are no innocent victims of it.

    Since you totally ignore those well known facts, because you wanted to post as outrageously hateful - as hatefully as could possibly be other than Tigger declaring gays should be executed - message against everyone from age 13 to 83 - because YOU think most are 1.) gay 2.) not mongamously married or 3.) use drugs - and you SOOOOO hate those people you literally want them to die.

    Of the 2.5 MILLION children with HIV/AIDS - that also drawfs the number of children with leukemia - your view is that they must die too - to be sacrificed, slaughtered - FOR YOUR RAW PURE HATRED of those other people as you express in your OP. So let's all not pretend you give a damn about children with any disease. You want them to die too. By the millions.
    Last edited by joko104; 12-01-12 at 05:50 PM.

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    "Childhood luekemia" is just a red herring you keep throwing out to disguise your hatred of gays.

    FAR more money is spend on diseases - and diseases others can not be infected with - with or without the person's participation - than AIDS for which the person is the cause of the disease.

    The amount of money spent on research and treatment of lung cancer, OCPD, and heart disease dwarfs what is spend on AIDS in this country.
    Behaviors of smoking, obesity, bad diet, lack of exercise are all known to be the primary causes of those #1, #2, and #3 causes of pre-mature death - and the amount of money spend on medical care, treatment and research dwarfs HIV/AIDS.

    Nor can anyone with such a disease give it to another person - meaning there are no innocent victims of it.

    Since you totally ignore those well known facts, because you wanted to post as outrageously hateful - as hatefully as could possibly be other than Tigger declaring gays should be executed - message against everyone from age 13 to 83 - because YOU think most are 1.) gay 2.) not mongamously married or 3.) use drugs - and you SOOOOO hate those people you literally want them to die.

    Of the 2.5 MILLION children with HIV/AIDS - that also drawfs the number of children with leukemia - your view is that they must die too - to be sacrificed, slaughtered - FOR YOUR RAW PURE HATRED of those other people as you express in your OP. So let's all not pretend you give a damn about children with any disease. You want them to die too. By the millions.
    I will ignore your personal attacks on me and your mind reading act , instead I will stick to the facts and here they are.

    President Obama’s Fiscal Year (FY) 2011 federal budget
    request, released on February 1, includes an estimated $27.2
    billion for combined domestic and global HIV/AIDS activities.1
    Domestic HIV/AIDS is funded at $20.5 billion and global at
    $6.7 billion.2 The FY 2011 request represents a 4.6% increase
    ($1.2 billion) over FY 2010, which totaled $26 billion.
    Congress will now consider the request and is expected to
    finalize spending levels in late 2010."

    http://www.kff.org/hivaids/upload/7029-06.pdf


    Breast Cancer
    US Government research funding: $7865 million/year 2,3
    Results: significant increase in 5-year survival rates: 4
    - Early 1970s – 75%
    - Today – 90%

    •HIV/AIDS
    US Government research funding: $3 billion in 2011 2
    Results:
    - AIDS was once a near-immediate death sentence.
    - Today – with anti-retroviral drug therapy, the 3-year survival rate is 90%.

    •Lung Cancer
    US Government research funding: Only $234 in 2011 2,3
    Results: very little change in 5-year survival rates: 4
    - Early 1970s – 12%
    - Today – 16%


    Lung Cancer Research

  6. #86
    Professor
    zstep18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-24-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,770

    re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    My opinion on this is based on logic and prioritizing of limited funds, the rest of you are forming opinions on an emotional response. Spock would be on my side.
    Should we not be spending money on any STD research since STD's are preventable?

  7. #87
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-03-15 @ 09:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,589

    re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Uhh $234 on lung cancer research? Not 234 million?? Seem like a typo to anyone else?

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by kerussll View Post
    Uhh $234 on lung cancer research? Not 234 million?? Seem like a typo to anyone else?
    So you would rather concentrate on a typo instead of the 234 million spent on lung cancer vs the 3 billion spent on AIDS.LOL

    As a woman I think you would be more interested in the paltry $7,865 million spent on breast cancer vs the 3 billion spent on AIDS.

  9. #89
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    I will ignore your personal attacks on me and your mind reading act , instead I will stick to the facts and here they are.

    President Obama’s Fiscal Year (FY) 2011 federal budget
    request, released on February 1, includes an estimated $27.2
    billion for combined domestic and global HIV/AIDS activities.1
    Domestic HIV/AIDS is funded at $20.5 billion and global at
    $6.7 billion.2 The FY 2011 request represents a 4.6% increase
    ($1.2 billion) over FY 2010, which totaled $26 billion.
    Congress will now consider the request and is expected to
    finalize spending levels in late 2010."

    http://www.kff.org/hivaids/upload/7029-06.pdf


    Breast Cancer
    US Government research funding: $7865 million/year 2,3
    Results: significant increase in 5-year survival rates: 4
    - Early 1970s – 75%
    - Today – 90%

    •HIV/AIDS
    US Government research funding: $3 billion in 2011 2
    Results:
    - AIDS was once a near-immediate death sentence.
    - Today – with anti-retroviral drug therapy, the 3-year survival rate is 90%.

    •Lung Cancer
    US Government research funding: Only $234 in 2011 2,3
    Results: very little change in 5-year survival rates: 4
    - Early 1970s – 12%
    - Today – 16%


    Lung Cancer Research
    What you do not state is the cost overall to the government of each those diseases, do you?

    But I get your point, it is this:
    - AIDS was once a near-immediate death sentence.
    - Today – with anti-retroviral drug therapy, the 3-year survival rate is 90%.


    You stated your exact reasoning in your OP - that gays, people who have promiscuous sex and who use drugs "deserve" to get AIDS - and even a vaccine if found should be denied to them - and you not only want no cure, you want there to be no immunization as a punishment. Let's keep it on the REASON you gave.


    YOUR OVERALL GOVERNMENT STATS ARE NOT ACCURATE - because the final question is COST to the government. The government pays 53% of such costs.
    What Percentage of US Healthcare Is Publicly Financed? True Cost – Analyzing our economy, government policy, and society through the lens of cost-benefit

    The Cost of Cancer

    The financial costs of cancer care are a burden to people diagnosed with cancer, their families, and society as a whole. National cancer care expenditures have been steadily increasing in the United States. Costs also are likely to increase as new, more advanced treatments are adopted as standards of care. These newer, more expensive, targeted therapies attack specific cancer cells and often have fewer side effects than other types of cancer treatments.

    Table 1: National Costs for Cancer Care in 2010 in Billions of Dollars by Cancer Site*



    Cancer Site

    Direct Costs
    (in billions of dollars)



    All Sites

    $124.57



    Breast (female)

    $16.50



    Colorectal

    $14.14



    Lung

    $12.12



    Lymphoma

    $12.14



    Prostate

    $11.85



    Leukemia

    $5.44



    Ovary

    $5.12



    Brain

    $4.47



    Bladder

    $3.98



    Head and Neck

    $3.64



    Kidney

    $3.80



    Uterus

    $2.62



    Melanoma

    $2.36



    Pancreas

    $2.27



    Stomach

    $1.82



    Cervix

    $1.55



    Esophagus

    $1.33



    *More information at Cancer Prevalence and Cost of Care Projections


    Costs in the Future

    The cost of cancer in the year 2020 is projected to reach at least $158 billion (in 2010 dollars). Assuming a 2 percent annual increase in medical costs in the initial and final phases of care, the projected 2020 costs increase to $173 billion. Estimating a 5 percent annual increase in these costs raises the projection to $207 billion. These figures do not include other types of costs, such as lost productivity, which add to the overall financial burden of cancer.

    This information was released in a new study on January 12, 2011. More information about these cost projections is available at: Cancer Prevalence and Cost of Care Projections.
    Last edited by joko104; 12-01-12 at 07:49 PM.

  10. #90
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    NOTHING could be more deliberately false from you to claim I am "reading your mind." YOU TOLD YOUR MIND IN YOUR OP OF THIS THREAD:

    Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon

    AIDS is a disease that for the most part is due to promiscuous sex or drug abuse and IMO taking money ... and giving it to a group of people who pretty much deserve what they got is a huge waste of resources. The only reason we spend so much money on it is that so many people that have it or fear they may contract it are so vocal and being gay is so trendy as a current human right. So heres the question, should we be funding research to cure these people or worse yet find a vaccine to let them engage in their risky lifestyle with no consequences?


    YOUR REASON WAS NOT a money comparison. YOUR STATEMENT:

    People who have AIDS deserve to have AIDS because they are promiscuous or gay - and the worst thing possible would be to find a vaccine to allow them to continue to live gay or promiscious lives.

    That is your EXACT words in your OP. So it should be debated from YOUR CLAIM THAT GAYS AND NON-MONOGAMOUS PEOPLE DESERVE TO HAVE AIDS. And the "WORSE" thing that could happen is to find a vaccine to allow "these people" to continue to live their "lifestyle." They DESERVE the CONSEQUENCE of being infected with AIDS. That is your morality, motive and reason given - ONLY REASON you gave.

    THAT ^ SINGULARLY, WAS YOUR STATED MOTIVE

    I'm not speculating or reading your mind. I'm quoting your message. So THAT is the issue. Whether gays and "promiscuous" people DESERVE to have AIDS and pro-actively denied cure and vaccine even if one is found to stop their living their "lifestyle."

    And since you posted that I DESERVE to be infected with HIV/AIDS and many other people I know and have known, this is NOT a 3rd person discussing about "these people." The people you declare deserve to die of AIDS is also myself, just about everyone I have ever cared for, and probably over half the members of this forum. It isn't your wanting "these people" to die of AIDS, you want US to die of AIDS because you claim we deserve it.

    I'm "debating" the MOTIVE and MORALITY of your reason of your OP message - which you now run from.
    Last edited by joko104; 12-01-12 at 07:57 PM.

Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •