Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 295

Thread: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

  1. #61
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-03-15 @ 09:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,589

    re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    You shouldn't make fun of a semi old guy that doesn't always wear his readers, you will get there someday too little girl, LOL. I am married and we are monogamous so no I don't use rubbers now, "dudette".
    Sorry Mr. So you are having unprotected sex. (As is expected in a marriage, so I'm not blaming you) But there is a risk of you contracting HIV, even if it's small. That all kind of depends on what your partner is doing, and the rate of infidelity in marriages is very very high. Plenty of people trust their partners who cheat on them and put them at risk. Sleeping around in your youth, and having unprotected sex now, engaging in totally normal human behaviors that the rest of the world does also... I fail to see how you are better than the people you speak with contempt about.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    St. Petersburg
    Last Seen
    10-06-16 @ 12:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    16,875

    re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Viruses mutate all the time will it still be a waste of tax dollars to research AIDS when it goes airborne?

  3. #63
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-03-15 @ 09:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,589

    re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    My guess is 99% of the unprotected sex in the womans pie chart is representative of prostitutes. With men it's 99% gay sex.

    Your own pie chart disputes that. Maybe try reading it?
    Last edited by kerussll; 11-30-12 at 04:50 PM.

  4. #64
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Anagram's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Louis MO
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    6,174

    re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    AIDS is a disease that for the most part is due to promiscuous sex or drug abuse and IMO taking money from things like childhood leukemia, MS, Parkinson's etc and giving it to a group of people who pretty much deserve what they got is a huge waste of resources. The only reason we spend so much money on it is that so many people that have it or fear they may contract it are so vocal and being gay is
    so trendy as a current human right. So heres the question, should we be funding research to cure these people or worse yet find a vaccine to let them engage in their risky lifestyle with no consequences?

    EDIT: sorry I blew the poll part but I would be interested in your opinions.
    I think that developing a cure for AIDS would be a benefit for everyone. I have a serious issue with what you said about them deserving it. IMO, having unprotected sex isn't a serious enough mistake to warrant a death sentence. Yes, for most people it is their own fault if they get AIDS, but the punishment doesn't fit the crime.
    There should be Instant Runoff Voting

  5. #65
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,953

    re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Not everyone who has AIDs has it due to personal failings. I heard from 2 HIV patients today, one of them was a female that had sex with her boyfriend and only with her boyfriend. He was not sleeping around either, he was using dirty needles to inject steroids and contracted HIV and did not know about it. Likewise, she contracted HIV from him and didn't know he was positive (neither did he until she got tested due to her physician suspecting she may have HIV due to a medical complication).

    People may make very stupid choices like having promiscuous sex, sharing needles or other high risk behaviors for contracting HIV. However, if you are going to make the argument that moral failings invalidate funding for a disease should we also not fund cancer research since many people with cancer were also smokers or had other risk factors by choice? Should we not spend taxpayer dollars on hypertension, diabetes and heart disease since many of these diseases are caused/aggravated by obesity and poor diet?

    I think the government should absolutely fund AIDs medication and research. Sure, some people with the virus contracted it due to moral failings but they still need help nor should they be denied it. AIDs medication is extremely expensive, I'm also glad that there are government programs out there to help cover these medications.
    Last edited by digsbe; 11-30-12 at 05:51 PM.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  6. #66
    Professor
    zstep18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-24-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,770

    re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    AIDS is a disease that for the most part is due to promiscuous sex or drug abuse and IMO taking money from things like childhood leukemia, MS, Parkinson's etc and giving it to a group of people who pretty much deserve what they got is a huge waste of resources. The only reason we spend so much money on it is that so many people that have it or fear they may contract it are so vocal and being gay is
    so trendy as a current human right. So heres the question, should we be funding research to cure these people or worse yet find a vaccine to let them engage in their risky lifestyle with no consequences?

    EDIT: sorry I blew the poll part but I would be interested in your opinions.
    Using your logic, why spend money on the research and prevention of any STD? After all, they are preventable.

    P.S. No one "deserves" AIDS.
    Last edited by zstep18; 11-30-12 at 06:31 PM.

  7. #67
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,870

    re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Yes, we should spend taxpayer dollars to research a cure for AIDS.

    Since every reason I do support it has been expressed already, I won't repeat them except to these two. No one deserves AIDS and just because it is primarily transmitted through unprotected sex and illicit drug use doesn't change that. It is a scourge and if there is one thing you might consider, by the very fact the government has spent money on research to this point, the world is less dangerous place because of what has been discovered about it so far. Imagine if AIDS was running rampant as in the early 80's and we were all still in the dark and there was no way at all to treat it. The toll in human suffering would be incredible. Even you sawyer, as remote as you keep yourself, might encounter, know, or love someone who was infected.

  8. #68
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post

    AIDS is a disease that for the most part is due to promiscuous sex or drug abuse and IMO taking money ... and giving it to a group of people who pretty much deserve what they got is a huge waste of resources. The only reason we spend so much money on it is that so many people that have it or fear they may contract it are so vocal and being gay is so trendy as a current human right. So heres the question, should we be funding research to cure these people or worse yet find a vaccine to let them engage in their risky lifestyle with no consequences?
    The month ends with the most dispicable OP of the month award going to this thread.

  9. #69
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 03:32 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    I'm going to ignore your opinion that non-married, only sex with one person in his/her life deserve to die claim. Since it is 100% about you, then in the context only of you.

    One reason could be if one of THOSE PEOPLE with AIDS rapes you, spouse or child. Or passed blood in an accident or sporting event. Or uses your toothbrush without you knowing.

    Eh, let your child, wife or you die - because they/you then deserve it according to your message.

    STDs are one TRUE terror of rape victims. I guess you claim they also deserve to die.

  10. #70
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    AIDS is a disease that for the most part is due to promiscuous sex or drug abuse and IMO taking money from things like childhood leukemia, MS, Parkinson's etc and giving it to a group of people who pretty much deserve what they got is a huge waste of resources. The only reason we spend so much money on it is that so many people that have it or fear they may contract it are so vocal and being gay is
    so trendy as a current human right. So heres the question, should we be funding research to cure these people or worse yet find a vaccine to let them engage in their risky lifestyle with no consequences?

    EDIT: sorry I blew the poll part but I would be interested in your opinions.
    My opinion is that the statement in bold is thoroughly disgusting, and that you should be ashamed of yourself. I'm sure you won't be, but you should be.

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •