Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 295

Thread: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

  1. #271
    Professor
    zstep18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-24-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,770

    Re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpetty View Post
    Its still possible to contract polio even with the vaccine, lets not start making claims that arent true. A vaccine is not a guarantee. As far as rabies is concerned, the vaccine needs to be administered before the incubation period is over, so technically before the person actually developes rabies. If not, then the vaccine as about as effective as a sugar pill...
    Where AIDS is concerned, there is already a vaccine. Its called common sense.
    The point is that we have eliminated many deadly diseases through the use of vaccines.

  2. #272
    Educator Dpetty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-05-17 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    967

    Re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    The point is that we have eliminated many deadly diseases through the use of vaccines.

    I never said we couldnt vaccinate against diseases, but you are still neglecting to remember that a virus is not like other diseases. Even if we find a vaccine it could still mutate and make that vaccine useless.. Which is has done multiple times already.

  3. #273
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-03-15 @ 09:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,589

    Re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpetty View Post
    I never said we couldnt vaccinate against diseases, but you are still neglecting to remember that a virus is not like other diseases. Even if we find a vaccine it could still mutate and make that vaccine useless.. Which is has done multiple times already.
    You know all those diseases we have effective vaccines for that I listed for you are viruses, right?

  4. #274
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,880
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    It's a long thread and others have asked me this and I answered. I don't expect you to read nearly 300 post though .I would prioritize funding based on how preventable the disease is through life style choices and AIDS would be at the bottom of the list instead of the top where it currently resides.
    And highways?
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #275
    Sage
    Sherman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northeast US
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 11:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,774

    Re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    AIDS is a disease that for the most part is due to promiscuous sex or drug abuse and IMO taking money from things like childhood leukemia, MS, Parkinson's etc and giving it to a group of people who pretty much deserve what they got is a huge waste of resources. The only reason we spend so much money on it is that so many people that have it or fear they may contract it are so vocal and being gay is
    so trendy as a current human right. So heres the question, should we be funding research to cure these people or worse yet find a vaccine to let them engage in their risky lifestyle with no consequences?

    EDIT: sorry I blew the poll part but I would be interested in your opinions.
    Yes. It is the essence of civilization. We strive against the ravages of biology and nature and seek to tame and master them for the betterment of our fellow man. Luckily, or unluckily depending on how you choose to see it, HIV/AID's research is continuing at a rapid pace and private funding dwarfs taxpayer assistance. But in the age of biotechnology it can often be the underfunded firm who has pioneered a critical delivery system or genetic patent that could be revolutionary. Government seed funding for medical research should continue without hesitation.

    The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death the bible says, but I hope to fight towards that end here on earth.

  6. #276
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    Yes. It is the essence of civilization. We strive against the ravages of biology and nature and seek to tame and master them for the betterment of our fellow man. Luckily, or unluckily depending on how you choose to see it, HIV/AID's research is continuing at a rapid pace and private funding dwarfs taxpayer assistance. But in the age of biotechnology it can often be the underfunded firm who has pioneered a critical delivery system or genetic patent that could be revolutionary. Government seed funding for medical research should continue without hesitation.

    The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death the bible says, but I hope to fight towards that end here on earth.
    AIDS is only spreading rapidly i Africa where anal sex is practiced as birth control and men refuse to wear rubbers. Nature culls out the morons.

  7. #277
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    According to the annual World Health Report, AIDS is the fourth biggest cause of deaths worldwide, within twenty years after the epidemic began.

  8. #278
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]



    ^ AMERICANS

  9. #279
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    AIDS is only spreading rapidly i Africa where anal sex is practiced as birth control and men refuse to wear rubbers. Nature culls out the morons.
    So your next prejudice is coming out now too.

    66% of all new female HIV infections occur in black women in the USA - however, only 14% of US females are African-American. Approximately one quarter of all reported new HIV infections in America are female cases.

    The HIV death rate (adjusted) among African-American adult females is 15 times more than for Caucasian women.

    More HIV Among Black Women Than Previously Thought, USA

  10. #280
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    So your next prejudice is coming out now too.

    66% of all new female HIV infections occur in black women in the USA - however, only 14% of US females are African-American. Approximately one quarter of all reported new HIV infections in America are female cases.

    The HIV death rate (adjusted) among African-American adult females is 15 times more than for Caucasian women.

    More HIV Among Black Women Than Previously Thought, USA
    Before I was prejudice against gays now I am a racist. When will you start talking about the subject instead of me? As I said, take your slanderous attacks to the basement.

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •