Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 295

Thread: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

  1. #241
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by Smartmouthwoman View Post
    Exactly. Instead of waiting until it's too late, then paying for ads like this:



    AIDS is growing fastest in the black community. Too bad Michelle Obama didn't focus on that issue instead of bullying America's fat kids. Her attention might've made a real difference. Fat chance, huh?
    As they say, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

  2. #242
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,122

    Re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Not a good example because you can get cancer for basically no reason at all. Sometimes cell division just goes bad all by itself.
    And you can get HIV through absolutely no fault of your own, such as being punched by someone who is infected (blood to blood transmission) or in the case of infants who get it from their mother's breast milk. Sometimes crap just happens, but if we are gonna start dictating that risky lifestyle choices should be calculated into whether or not research of a disease gets funding, that should also apply to cancer, because you can exponentially increase your chance of cancer through risky behaviors just as you can exponentially increase your risk of HIV infection through risky behaviors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  3. #243
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,122

    Re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    As they say, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".
    Where did your critical thinking go once the political name dropping started? Why not compare the number of people who die every year as a result of health problems resulting from a sedentary lifestyle as opposed to the number of deaths resulting from AIDS? I think you are going to find far, far more of the former than the latter. If it is a number's game as you have tried to push in this thread, then Michell had it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  4. #244
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Where did your critical thinking go once the political name dropping started? Why not compare the number of people who die every year as a result of health problems resulting from a sedentary lifestyle as opposed to the number of deaths resulting from AIDS? I think you are going to find far, far more of the former than the latter. If it is a number's game as you have tried to push in this thread, then Michell had it right.
    I'm not sure I follow you on this. All I am saying is we spend disproportionately on AIDS research and another good point was brought up by bigmouthlady, the money would be far less and far more productive if spent on prevention education instead of cure.

    EDIT: Actually I think it's bigmouthwoman, from the Johnny Cash song I bet, long legged man.
    Second EDIT: I looked, its smartmouthwoman, guess thats what I get for b eing a JC fan.

  5. #245
    Professor
    TheLastIndependent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    08-29-15 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,545
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Can you justify spending more on AIDS than on any other disease and probably even all other diseases put together?
    Because it will indefinitely kill you and it shouldn't even be a factor in human life. Show me the numbers of research money spent by solely taxpayers and I will believe you. Besides, I am almost certain that camcer centers receive more in donations than do AIDS centers.
    "The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool." : Stephen King

    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto." Thomas Jefferson

  6. #246
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    AIDS is a disease that for the most part is due to promiscuous sex or drug abuse and IMO taking money from things like childhood leukemia, MS, Parkinson's etc and giving it to a group of people who pretty much deserve what they got is a huge waste of resources. The only reason we spend so much money on it is that so many people that have it or fear they may contract it are so vocal and being gay is
    so trendy as a current human right. So heres the question, should we be funding research to cure these people or worse yet find a vaccine to let them engage in their risky lifestyle with no consequences?

    EDIT: sorry I blew the poll part but I would be interested in your opinions.
    It doesn't matter why AIDS gets spreads. It spreads. And the impact of the disease is very harsh, though medications have greatly improved the standard of living of those who suffer this illness.

    So yes, taxpayer money should be spent on AIDS in regards to prevention and treatment.
    Also, we need to legalize recreational drugs and prostitution.

  7. #247
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    My problem is this is a very preventable disease and it takes research time and money from other diseases that people get through no fault of their own.
    HIV Aids sometimes strikes the innocent....that is reason enough to look for a cure. Also, a breakthrough with AIDS might allow us to learn something that helps cure similar illnesses.
    So, we should study the disease and seek a cure, but the innocent should be saved first.....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  8. #248
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,122

    Re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    I'm not sure I follow you on this. All I am saying is we spend disproportionately on AIDS research and another good point was brought up by bigmouthlady, the money would be far less and far more productive if spent on prevention education instead of cure.
    Since you are so informed on this topic...which I highly doubt you are...how much money is actually spent by the government on AIDS research as compared to other diseases and what proportion of all money spent on AIDS is spent on prevention efforts. I mean...when you make the argument that a "disproportionate" amount is spent without knowing any of the numbers that leads me to believe you are just saying that any amount spent on AIDS research is too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  9. #249
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Since you are so informed on this topic...which I highly doubt you are...how much money is actually spent by the government on AIDS research as compared to other diseases and what proportion of all money spent on AIDS is spent on prevention efforts. I mean...when you make the argument that a "disproportionate" amount is spent without knowing any of the numbers that leads me to believe you are just saying that any amount spent on AIDS research is too much.
    You must not have read this whole thread, I have put numbers and pie charts documenting everything I say, Three BILLION in AIDS research, fifteen BILLION annually in drugs to keep AIDS victims above ground.

  10. #250
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-03-15 @ 09:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,589

    Re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dpetty View Post
    And how effective are those drugs at killing the AIDS virus??
    That's not what they do, but they make a huge difference in life expectancy. The fact that you think because we don't have a vaccine now, we will never have a vaccine is very ignorant.

Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •