Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 295

Thread: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

  1. #191
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    It doesn't work like that. There's no reason not to research both.
    Resources are not unlimited, true, but you also can't just throw unlimited money at any particular disease.
    Throw our entire military budget at Alzheimer's research and you're only going to speed up the research so much.

    While the disease may not be your responsibility, the results are. You pay for the healthcare of others. You always have and you always will, because the alternative is letting people just die of preventable conditions, or in pain, or whatever, and society has decided that's unacceptable. Maybe you think AIDS patients should be just told to **** off, but you are thankfully a minority in this thinking.
    We are doing very close to just that with our exorbitant spending on AIDS.

  2. #192
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Why draw the line at HIV? Why fund cancer research? Obviously people who get cancer lived a risky lifestyle, either by getting too much sun, or living near facilities that produced chemicals or radiation, or by smoking, etc. Why should I be forced to pay so those people can avoid the consequences of their behavior?
    Most types of cancer are not caused by lifestyle choices, the ones that specifically are should be put behind those that are not. Allocation of resources is required when our funding is limited. There should be some system in place besides the "squeaky wheel" system we currently have.

  3. #193
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    It doesn't work like that. There's no reason not to research both. Resources are not unlimited, true, but you also can't just throw unlimited money at any particular disease. Throw our entire military budget at Alzheimer's research and you're only going to speed up the research so much.

    While the disease may not be your responsibility, the results are. You pay for the healthcare of others. You always have and you always will, because the alternative is letting people just die of preventable conditions, or in pain, or whatever, and society has decided that's unacceptable. Maybe you think AIDS patients should be just told to **** off, but you are thankfully a minority in this thinking.
    Sawyer continually raises a false dicotomy claiming cancer research prevents Alzheimer's rearch which prevents AIDs research etc.

    THE ONLY PERSONS advocating reducing medical research of any disease is Sawyer and the few who support him. Thus he asserts his own red herring strawman and declares he defeated his own argument.

  4. #194
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Most types of cancer are not caused by lifestyle choices, the ones that specifically are should be put behind those that are not. Allocation of resources is required when our funding is limited. There should be some system in place besides the "squeaky wheel" system we currently have.
    More control freakism to try to use disease and death as personal and social control on a moral basis. Your morals.

  5. #195
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    We are doing very close to just that with our exorbitant spending on AIDS.
    US Fed HIV/AIDS research is "exorbitant" and close to military spending? Since when did $2.8B equal $1.4T?
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  6. #196
    Professor
    TheLastIndependent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    08-29-15 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,545
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Of course not! Why spend money on an extremely dangerous disease that doesn't only affect those who made those choices! Screw kids born with AIDs! Screw the people that were accidentally introduced to it through blood! Such heathens!

    The assertion that AIDs research money should be revoked is absolutely disgusting and beyond idiotic.
    "The trust of the innocent is the liar's most useful tool." : Stephen King

    "Commerce with all nations, alliance with none, should be our motto." Thomas Jefferson

  7. #197
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    US Fed HIV/AIDS research is "exorbitant" and close to military spending? Since when did $2.8B equal $1.4T?
    Where did you get the military spending thing, thin air?

  8. #198
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLastIndependent View Post
    Of course not! Why spend money on an extremely dangerous disease that doesn't only affect those who made those choices! Screw kids born with AIDs! Screw the people that were accidentally introduced to it through blood! Such heathens!

    The assertion that AIDs research money should be revoked is absolutely disgusting and beyond idiotic.
    Not revoked just greatly reduced.

  9. #199
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Where did you get the military spending thing, thin air?
    No, but I know you got your "close to (military spending)" out of nothing....in other words...you made it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  10. #200
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    No, but I know you got your "close to (military spending)" out of nothing....in other words...you made it up.
    You must have me confused with someone else but while I am at it you left out the 15 billion a year we spend buying AIDS drugs annually in your last post so the real AIDS number is 18 billion a year.

Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •