Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 295

Thread: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

  1. #91
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-03-15 @ 09:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,589

    re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    So you would rather concentrate on a typo instead of the 234 million spent on lung cancer vs the 3 billion spent on AIDS.LOL

    As a woman I think you would be more interested in the paltry $7,865 million spent on breast cancer vs the 3 billion spent on AIDS.
    I don't even know what the real number is since your link doesn't clearly state it. I'd be interested in seeing the real number from a site that is reputable enough to not have major typos like that. So I can't say I am totally confident their other numbers are correct, but assuming they are: No, I'm not too concerned about the difference in federal funding between AIDS and breast cancer when breast cancer has the Susan G. Komen foundation that everyone and their sister donates to, runs a 5k for, or buys a product from a company that donates to breast cancer research. There's an entire month donated to breast cancer awareness and we even have every pro football player wearing pink for it! All great stuff, and the survival rate for breast cancer is pretty good now. The same can't be said for the majority of people in the world with AIDS who don't even have access to decent medical care.

    So in short, I have no problem with the amount of money donated to fighting AIDS. And I haven't heard anyone else on here (besides you) who does. Maybe instead of trying to fight all these people who are thoroughly disgusted with you, you should reevaluate your position here.
    Last edited by kerussll; 12-01-12 at 08:03 PM.

  2. #92
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Again, the OP ducks his own stated reasoning and motive for a red herring.

    If anyone here has claimed that more should not be spent on breast cancer research or luekemia, let sawyerloggingon link to that message. That is a total damn lie on his part in terms of posting a raw hate OP based on bigotry and the most extreme fundamentalism morality - and then runs from it and asserts a non-existence counter point claiming he has proven the absolute maximum hateful bigotry of his OP.

  3. #93
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    To the exact opposite of sawyerloggingon - since the OP topic is NOT economics - it is MORALITY - I'll point out my great difference on the morality chart.

    First, though, it worth mentioning that any transmitable, communicable disease that causes death or disablity is the gravest of all diseases - and such diseases have genocidally killed people worldwide historically in epidemic after epidemic. A deadly disease kills the person. A communicable or transmitable disease can kill any and everyone one.

    BUT, to the exact opposite of sawyerloggingon:

    It would be a truly wonderful change is people could have consentual sex as they wish without fear of unwanted pregnancy or death.
    The exact argument sawyerloggingon about punishing people for sex is made against contraceptives too

    It would be truly a wonderful change is sexual assault victims did not have to fear or be infected with an uncurable STD. Sawyerloggingon believes they are necessary statisical casualities to allow gays and promiscuous people to die of AIDS deserving such deaths to stop their lifestyle. That's quoting him.

    It would be truly wonderful if no one could be hurt or killed by incurable STDs, however they are infected - including the 2,500,000 children now - which Sawyerloggingon are statistically irrelevant people in comparison to the deserved punitive deaths gays and promiscuous people deserve.

    So at every level of morality, we are opposite. There really are few people left that openly declare they want sinners to die horrible deaths en mass. The sin he focused on is, of course, the fundamentalist Bible beater's sex sins.

    I want people to be able to have sex - all they mutually consent to have - without any fears at all.

  4. #94
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    My opinion on this is based on logic and prioritizing of limited funds, the rest of you are forming opinions on an emotional response. Spock would be on my side.
    Bull****. The notion that someone deserves the disease they've gotten is entirely emotional in the most small-minded moralistic way imaginable. Lie to yourself all you want. The rest of us know better.

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    NOTHING could be more deliberately false from you to claim I am "reading your mind." YOU TOLD YOUR MIND IN YOUR OP OF THIS THREAD:

    Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon

    AIDS is a disease that for the most part is due to promiscuous sex or drug abuse and IMO taking money ... and giving it to a group of people who pretty much deserve what they got is a huge waste of resources. The only reason we spend so much money on it is that so many people that have it or fear they may contract it are so vocal and being gay is so trendy as a current human right. So heres the question, should we be funding research to cure these people or worse yet find a vaccine to let them engage in their risky lifestyle with no consequences?


    YOUR REASON WAS NOT a money comparison. YOUR STATEMENT:

    People who have AIDS deserve to have AIDS because they are promiscuous or gay - and the worst thing possible would be to find a vaccine to allow them to continue to live gay or promiscious lives.

    That is your EXACT words in your OP. So it should be debated from YOUR CLAIM THAT GAYS AND NON-MONOGAMOUS PEOPLE DESERVE TO HAVE AIDS. And the "WORSE" thing that could happen is to find a vaccine to allow "these people" to continue to live their "lifestyle." They DESERVE the CONSEQUENCE of being infected with AIDS. That is your morality, motive and reason given - ONLY REASON you gave.

    THAT ^ SINGULARLY, WAS YOUR STATED MOTIVE

    I'm not speculating or reading your mind. I'm quoting your message. So THAT is the issue. Whether gays and "promiscuous" people DESERVE to have AIDS and pro-actively denied cure and vaccine even if one is found to stop their living their "lifestyle."

    And since you posted that I DESERVE to be infected with HIV/AIDS and many other people I know and have known, this is NOT a 3rd person discussing about "these people." The people you declare deserve to die of AIDS is also myself, just about everyone I have ever cared for, and probably over half the members of this forum. It isn't your wanting "these people" to die of AIDS, you want US to die of AIDS because you claim we deserve it.

    I'm "debating" the MOTIVE and MORALITY of your reason of your OP message - which you now run from.
    If you want to debate my motive take it to the basement. This thread is about should we be spending limited resources on a disease that is extremely preventable instead of diseases that are not in any way shape or form your fault. I concentrate on childhood Leukemia because children are such innocents. You imply that I hate gays because I think AIDS gets a disproportionate amount of limited resources thus I hate gays. I could turn this around and say why do you deny limited funds from reaching innocent sick children? Why do you hate children? See how stupid that is? You want to make this thread about me instead of the subject, like I said go down to your basement world and give me hell but up here discuss the issue at hand. Now have a good evening, I am off to cozy up on the couch with my wife and watch a movie. Get on with your life assuming you have one.

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by kerussll View Post
    I don't even know what the real number is since your link doesn't clearly state it. I'd be interested in seeing the real number from a site that is reputable enough to not have major typos like that. So I can't say I am totally confident their other numbers are correct, but assuming they are: No, I'm not too concerned about the difference in federal funding between AIDS and breast cancer when breast cancer has the Susan G. Komen foundation that everyone and their sister donates to, runs a 5k for, or buys a product from a company that donates to breast cancer research. There's an entire month donated to breast cancer awareness and we even have every pro football player wearing pink for it! All great stuff, and the survival rate for breast cancer is pretty good now. The same can't be said for the majority of people in the world with AIDS who don't even have access to decent medical care.

    So in short, I have no problem with the amount of money donated to fighting AIDS. And I haven't heard anyone else on here (besides you) who does. Maybe instead of trying to fight all these people who are thoroughly disgusted with you, you should reevaluate your position here.
    I will do some research tomorrow on how many women get breast cancer vs how many people get aids and we can discuss allocation of funds. Tonight I have more fun plans. Have a good evening.

  7. #97
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-03-15 @ 09:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,589

    re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Who says the budget for funding research is limited to a certain figure? It's not like the government really limits spending on anything...

  8. #98
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    The 80s called and they want their stereotypes back.

  9. #99
    Professor

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-03-15 @ 09:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,589

    re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    I will do some research tomorrow on how many women get breast cancer vs how many people get aids and we can discuss allocation of funds. Tonight I have more fun plans. Have a good evening.
    Is it your assumption that more people have breast cancer than AIDS? Because that is wrong. In 2010, 1.5 million people were diagnosed with breast cancer worldwide. In 2009, there were 2.6 million new cases of AIDS and 1.8 million deaths from AIDS. (Compare to 0.5 million deaths from breast cancer) There are almost 17 million children orphaned by AIDS now.

    Any way you look at it (infection rates, cure rates, death rates, age of people affected, children affected) AIDS is clearly the worse disease. It's not logical that you are outraged more money is going towards AIDS research.

    Breast Cancer Statistics Worldwide | Worldwide Breast Cancer

    Worldwide HIV & AIDS Statistics

    WHO | Cancer

  10. #100
    Professor
    zstep18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-24-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,770

    re: Should we spend taxpayer dollars on AIDS [W: 139]

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Yes the poor kid would be in that tiny 1% sliver in the pie chart whereas 100% of kids with childhood leukemia would be in that piece of pie. See the difference?
    So, according to you, because AIDs is preventable, money should not be be put into it?

    Should money be put into smoker patients who have lung cancer? After all, it's the smokers fault.
    Should money be put into tobacco users who develop mouth cancer? It's easily preventable. Just don't use tobacco.
    Should money be put into all the health complications that come with obesity? After all, it is preventable. Just don't eat so much and get a little exercise.
    Should money be put into treating and researching athlete's brain injuries? After all, it is preventable and athletes know the risks.

    Etc, etc, etc, etc.

    There are many things which can be prevented if people took cautionary steps. That doesn't mean we should not treat the problem.

Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •