View Poll Results: Are you willing to give up you social security to end the new deal?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    75 66.96%
  • No

    37 33.04%
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 147

Thread: Are you willing to give up you social security to end the new deal?

  1. #51
    Guru
    BWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South Coast
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 11:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,203

    Re: Are you willing to give up you social security to end the new deal?

    Quote Originally Posted by DeeJayH
    SS is anything but a success
    and maybe you should re-read Bodi's post about how SS started
    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar
    It's not a success.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudAmerican
    yeah, SS is a raging success. lol.
    Get rid of it then. Or are you all talk.
    What's that you say? Oh, just another excuse.
    You got the numbers, get rid of it!!!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by Patrickt
    And, how happy would you have been if another 12% of pre-tax dollars were going into your 401k?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar
    You could've made a lot more money if the government hadn't stolen your SS money in the first place, and let you invest it.
    Why, so that I have to make another trip to the bank to buy more CDs (and I'm not talking about music...LOL)
    What are you going to do when your investments lose money?
    “We just simply don’t know how to govern” - Rep. Steve Womack (R-AR) a member of the House Budget Committee

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-08 @ 09:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,619

    Re: Are you willing to give up you social security to end the new deal?

    Kandahar said, “If we must have this pyramid scheme at all, we can delay the inevitable by encouraging MORE immigration. Immigration is what keeps the United States young and growing, as opposed to European countries with stagnant/declining populations.”

    I never said immigration. I said illegal immigration. Huge difference.
    Most European countries are curbing immigration because of the negative effects it is having on their economies and their cultures.


    And its having devastating effects on ours……“draining our health care systems, school systems, our criminal justice systems“……


    http://www.defendcoloradonow.org/perspective/art_negative_effects.html


    LEGAL immigration is fine……..ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION is what it says it is…….illegal.

    Average life expectancy in America........ 75.


    http://www.eagle-min.com/faq/faq85.htm



    “I also believe that if you're making over a certain amount of money in retirement...say..$250,000 grand a year, that you receive no S.S. benefits. You don't need S.S. benefits if you're pulling in that kind of income. I don't care if you've paid into the system, or not.’

    Bullcrapolla………lets take medical benefits away from them too? Lets just take everything away from them……. because they obviously were more successful then those making less. No medicare etc….Let make them pay full price for the drugs they might need…….lets just penalize them across the table because they are rich.

    “Why should millionaires be drawing S.S. checks?’
    Because they paid into the system and that is fair.

    Why should they have to tote the load for those who obviously weren’t as successful.


    “Don't like it? Consider it a priviledge and part of your responsibility to get to live in a free nation.”

    What you propose is absolutely un- American.

    “I'd also like to see something done about all the kids drawing S.S. disability checks from the government. I'm working my arse off, and I see kids, half my age, drawing disability checks each month..probably for drug addiction..or what not, and they seem perfectly healthy and capable of working a job.

    If you've worked hard all your life, and paid into the system...you deserve that extra bit of income to sustain a better retirement.”

    Well hell Hoot, just make the wealthy pay for them too. A better retirement? Hasn’t the wealthy worked hard too? Now your picking on the handicapped………… YOu want the rich to pay for you........yet you want extra by taking way from those who are sick and handicapped...

  3. #53
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,669

    Re: Are you willing to give up you social security to end the new deal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoot
    Istill say we need to raise the cap on which social security taxes are taken.

    Right now, a CEO can make 40 million a year, yet pay the exact same S.S. taxes as someone who makes $86,000 a year.

    I don't care what anyone says, this isn't right.
    yet they get the same benefits just as if they both bought the same insurance policy. what is not right is that a guy making forty million a year pays more in taxes in one year than the average american will in a lifetime yet that executive GETS ABSOLUTELY NO CREDIT or benefits above what joe six pack gets from the government and most likely gets LESS.



    Quote Originally Posted by Hoot
    I I also believe that if you're making over a certain amount of money in retirement...say..$250,000 grand a year, that you receive no S.S. benefits. You don't need S.S. benefits if you're pulling in that kind of income. I don't care if you've paid into the system, or not.

    Why should millionaires be drawing S.S. checks?
    because they paid into the ponzi scheme. I realize socialists want more and more income redistributionist schemes but this fraudulent mess known as socialist security was not supposed to be another soak the rich plot by you class warfare jihadists.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoot
    I Don't like it? Consider it a priviledge and part of your responsibility to get to live in a free nation.
    spoken like a true marxist. In a free nation, we wouldn't be forcing the productive to pay for the lazy and the slothful so rich elite lefties can gain more power by creating more slothful dependents.


    Quote Originally Posted by Hoot
    I I'd also like to see something done about all the kids drawing S.S. disability checks from the government. I'm working my arse off, and I see kids, half my age, drawing disability checks each month..probably for drug addiction..or what not, and they seem perfectly healthy and capable of working a job.

    If you've worked hard all your life, and paid into the system...you deserve that extra bit of income to sustain a better retirement.

    Or how 'bout this...you don't work and pay into the system, then you receive no S.S. benefits.

    The whole problem with Bush's idea was..it penalizes the poor. ( Big surprise there, right?) If your income is such that you have little left over after paying the bills and putting food on the table, then you certainly have no money to invest for future retirement. That's where S.S. taxes can help the poor look forward to a retirement with dignity.
    I think you are acting rather two faced-you want hardworking rich to get screwed out of the benefits they paid for and in the same post you whine about someone else getting stuff they didn't work for. In other words, you all in are in favor of screwing people richer than you but you are against getting screwed yourself.



  4. #54
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Are you willing to give up you social security to end the new deal?

    Quote Originally Posted by BWG
    Get rid of it then. Or are you all talk.
    What's that you say? Oh, just another excuse.
    You got the numbers, get rid of it!!!!!
    What the hell? Do you have anything substantive to add to the conversation about the best policy, or is "Nyah, nyah, the voters agree with me" the best argument you can come up with?

    Quote Originally Posted by BWG
    Why, so that I have to make another trip to the bank to buy more CDs (and I'm not talking about music...LOL)

    What are you going to do when your investments lose money?
    There's still food stamps, medicare, and support from your family. But paying people simply because they're old is quite different; retirement isn't essential to survival in the same way that food and medicine are.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  5. #55
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Are you willing to give up you social security to end the new deal?

    Quote Originally Posted by doughgirl
    I never said immigration. I said illegal immigration. Huge difference.
    Most European countries are curbing immigration because of the negative effects it is having on their economies and their cultures.
    Wrong. Their economies are being negatively affected partially BECAUSE they're curbing immigration (among other problems).

    Quote Originally Posted by doughgirl
    And its having devastating effects on ours……“draining our health care systems, school systems, our criminal justice systems“……
    Bull. Immigrants are net taxpayers (excluding education, which is an investment rather than an expense), and are more likely to start their own businesses than native-born Americans.

    Quote Originally Posted by doughgirl
    LEGAL immigration is fine……..ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION is what it says it is…….illegal.
    If we increase the amount of legal immigration, illegal immigration will decline because there is less incentive to break the law.

    Quote Originally Posted by doughgirl
    Bullcrapolla………lets take medical benefits away from them too? Lets just take everything away from them……. because they obviously were more successful then those making less. No medicare etc….Let make them pay full price for the drugs they might need…….lets just penalize them across the table because they are rich.
    Any changes or lack of changes are going to hurt someone. It makes sense that as long as we're going to have SS, it should be reserved for those who truly need it. Do you have an alternative solution or do you just want to complain about ours?

    Quote Originally Posted by doughgirl
    Because they paid into the system and that is fair.

    Why should they have to tote the load for those who obviously weren’t as successful.
    Why should *I* have to tote the load for those older than I am, who voted to continue this program for all those years before I was born?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #56
    Banned Iriemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    12-19-15 @ 10:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,405

    Re: Are you willing to give up you social security to end the new deal?

    Quote Originally Posted by BodiSatva
    Has anybody addressed the simple solution yet...i have not read most of these posts...


    When SS was enacted in the NEW DEAL, the average age of life was 63.
    They made retirement, or the age that SS was achievable, the age 65.


    Oooohhh...

    Interesting...

    Why not make a National call for increasing retirement benifits to the age of 79, or essentially 2 years after whatever TODAYS average age of life IS?

    What the hell is the problem with THAT?

    Well, those that are getting older, that is what the problem is.
    So...it is not about what is right...it is about WHO VOTES!

    When they talk about voting...and older people vote more than younger people...welll, younger people are just ****ing themselves in the *** by not taking this **** seriously.

    that is all
    I agree with this concept. It actually has been raised already, from 65 to 67. I don't know if we have to make it 78, but given that people are leading longer heathier lives, I see no reason why the age shouldn't be bumped to at least 70, that would save a tremendous about of $$.

  7. #57
    Banned Iriemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    12-19-15 @ 10:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,405

    Re: Are you willing to give up you social security to end the new deal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Saboteur
    Yes, but I want every penny I've put in back with interest.
    Die young with dependents or live to be 100 and you'll get your money back with interest.

    But like any other insurance, there's no guarantee you get your money back with social security.

  8. #58
    Banned Iriemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    12-19-15 @ 10:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,405

    Re: Are you willing to give up you social security to end the new deal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrickt
    "I have my 401, savings AND SS. I'm happy as well.
    (you'd be amazed at what you can figure out what to do with all that EXTRA SS money...LOL)"

    And, how happy would you have been if another 12% of pre-tax dollars were going into your 401k?
    Until he ran out of money at age 93.

  9. #59
    Banned Iriemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    12-19-15 @ 10:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,405

    Re: Are you willing to give up you social security to end the new deal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Patrickt
    "I have my 401, savings AND SS. I'm happy as well.
    (you'd be amazed at what you can figure out what to do with all that EXTRA SS money...LOL)"

    And, how happy would you have been if another 12% of pre-tax dollars were going into your 401k?
    Until he ran out of money at age 93.

  10. #60
    Banned Iriemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    12-19-15 @ 10:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,405

    Re: Are you willing to give up you social security to end the new deal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar
    It's not a success. A simple look at demographic trends in this country indicates that there will be a day of reckoning in the not-too-distant future. So let's get rid of the program before that happens.
    SS has been a great success at removing tens of millions of old folks from destitution. I like not seeing old folks living in the streets.

    The problem you describe is one of adjustment. I agree the program as is now configured is too rich. Change the age to 70 and stop giving the limited money to folks like Warren Buffet and that would problem solve the long term financing indefinitely.

    You could've made a lot more money if the government hadn't stolen your SS money in the first place, and let you invest it.
    Unless you invested it all in tech stocks in the 90s.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •