View Poll Results: Do you like the electoral college voting system?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think it serves its purpose very well.

    20 32.79%
  • No, I think there are better alternatives.

    26 42.62%
  • I think it has legitimate rasoning but could use some reform.

    15 24.59%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 92

Thread: Do you like the electoral college voting system?

  1. #51
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,388

    Do you like the electoral college voting system?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    But really - so what? Why should the vote of one American be any different in weight than the vote of another American regardless of what state they may reside in? People do not vote for a presidential candidate because they live in a certain state. Why should one EC vote in Wyoming be worth three and a half times what one EC vote from California is worth?
    Have you gotten over two Senators per state or is that your next windmill?
    People in Dubai don't like the Flintstones but people in Abu Dhabi do

  2. #52
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,186

    Re: Do you like the electoral college voting system?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    reason, remember that word.

    it was to prevent the senators from, being self serving on their own, meaning stops them from being lobbied by entities.

    people are complaining that our politicians are bought off, WELL, their is the problem, senators listen to lobbyist, rich and powerful corporations, and anyone who has money.

    before the 17th, the senate had to vote the way the state wanted him to vote, he could not listen to lobbyist, because the state had power of the senator, so as to protect the interest of the state.

    after the 17th , you see, senators being bought by outside groups of special interest, and you start seeing senators serving for long periods of time.

    senators like Robert Byrd, of 51 years, woulds have never been reappointed to the senate that long by a state legislative body, these were built in term limits.

    states have no protection from the federal government anymore, and the government is imposing things on them, they have to pay for....obamacare.

    because people are selfish , they when voting for their senator today, vote for what is good for them, and not the state......this kind of thinking is popular government, and that kind of government will destroy itself in time.
    Do you remember what happened when the Gov of Illinois had to appoint a Senator in 2008 because Obama was elected President?

    Now picture that happening 100 times nationwide every 6 years. Does that sound like something Thomas Jefferson would have favored? They were smart enough to realize that times change, which is why we can amend the Constitution. If they were people who believed that things should never change, the East Coast would still be sining "God Save the Queen" and California would still be part of New Spain.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  3. #53
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,037

    Re: Do you like the electoral college voting system?

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    Have you gotten over two Senators per state or is that your next windmill?
    I have not mentioned it nor do I plan to. However, apparently it is indeed your next strawman.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Do you like the electoral college voting system?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    What do you mean "how?"
    What do you mean "what do you mean"? It's a question. Don't you know what a question is? You wanna be a smart-ass, ok. Why don't you drop the bull**** and stick to the topic. I hope you don't vote, or even drive, you don't even know what a question is. It's amazing what passes for a high-school graduate these days.

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Proportional allocation changes how ECs are allocated. Rather than all 55 of California's votes goes towards a Democrat due to the winner take all, only a portion of it does.
    That....is "how". That's all you had to say. Now I know what you're talking about.

  5. #55
    User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    SE suburbs of the Twin Cities, Minnesota
    Last Seen
    11-22-12 @ 02:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    13

    Re: Do you like the electoral college voting system?

    First one must understand the principles of federalism. If we were one nation with a unitary government, and one that had a very homogeneous culture, demographics, etc etc. Then maybe a national vote would make sense. But we are a very diverse and large nation. Each state has unique challenges, demographics, needs, geo-political concerns, cultures, economic realities, etc. The electoral college, in part, was implemented so that the most populated states wouldn't run rough shod over the smaller states in electing the president, and that all these diverse and unique states would have a say in who gets elected.

    We need the electoral college, however, it does need some modification. I know that states are to have jurisdiction on how voting is carried out, how the electoral votes are given, and how the counting of votes is tallied. One thing that needs to be done is to get away from the "winner take all" systems for electoral votes. We should utilize a system like that of the 'Congressional District Method', that of a 'Proportional Method'. Unfortunately, we'd need a Constitutional Amendment to make this a reality, one which I think we need very badly.

    In the 'Congressional District Method' whichever candidate wins the majority vote for a given congressional district they get that electoral vote. For the two senate electoral votes, they would be given to who wins the state overall.

    A 'Proportional Method' would just give a candidate the number of electoral votes relative to the percentage of the overall votes they got within a state. Ex: In a state that has 10 electoral college votes, a candidate with 60% of the state's votes would get 6 electoral votes; very simplistic.

    With any system, neither are perfect, but either method would be infinitely better than the winner-take-all system that 48 states use. I think it would give third party candidates a real chance to break the 2 party dominance; more importantly it would be much close to what the people really want at a more localized, grass roots level. Because those who live in a party dominated state but are on the opposite side will likely never have their vote be relevant in the presidential elections. For Ex.: I live in MN, a Blue state, my vote concerning president is a near waste of time. The last time MN went 'red' was in 1972. If you look at a break down by county or by congressional district in many states, it flies in the face of who actually got their electoral votes.

    I think most people dislike the electoral college because they do not understand it, nor the history of its implementation. It would do people a lot of good to research and learn about the electoral college, its historical reasoning and implementation, and federalism; regardless if they like it or not, or if they know it well or if they are completely uninformed about it. In fact, I'm going to refresh my knowledge of it here shortly!

  6. #56
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,186

    Re: Do you like the electoral college voting system?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dudeman612 View Post
    We need the electoral college, however, it does need some modification. I know that states are to have jurisdiction on how voting is carried out, how the electoral votes are given, and how the counting of votes is tallied. One thing that needs to be done is to get away from the "winner take all" systems for electoral votes. We should utilize a system like that of the 'Congressional District Method', that of a 'Proportional Method'. Unfortunately, we'd need a Constitutional Amendment to make this a reality, one which I think we need very badly.
    Sure, the problem is that a Constitutional Amendment would automatically nationalize the system, which is exactly what you said you don't want. Right now, how the votes are allocated is determined by each state. 48 of the 50 states (and DC) use a winner take all allocation. Maine and Nebraska are the only two that aren't, but both have their own allocation system. I believe of Maine's 4 electoral votes, 3 go to the winner of the state, and 1 is allocated in some other way.

    So it's either nationalize it, or pass 49 different laws.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  7. #57
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Do you like the electoral college voting system?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Do you remember what happened when the Gov of Illinois had to appoint a Senator in 2008 because Obama was elected President?

    Now picture that happening 100 times nationwide every 6 years. Does that sound like something Thomas Jefferson would have favored? They were smart enough to realize that times change, which is why we can amend the Constitution. If they were people who believed that things should never change, the East Coast would still be sining "God Save the Queen" and California would still be part of New Spain.
    This very problem used to be rampant and is why the method was changed in the first place.

  8. #58
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Do you like the electoral college voting system?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Do you remember what happened when the Gov of Illinois had to appoint a Senator in 2008 because Obama was elected President?

    Now picture that happening 100 times nationwide every 6 years. Does that sound like something Thomas Jefferson would have favored? They were smart enough to realize that times change, which is why we can amend the Constitution. If they were people who believed that things should never change, the East Coast would still be sining "God Save the Queen" and California would still be part of New Spain.
    well the gov did not appoint the senators, it was the state legislative .....body.

    by appointing a senators, they must do as that legislative body says, and this protects the state from federal over reach of power.

    senators were appointed because government was structured that way on propose in the constitution, it was part of the check and balances, and to prevent democracy.

  9. #59
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Do you like the electoral college voting system?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    What do you mean "what do you mean"? It's a question. Don't you know what a question is? You wanna be a smart-ass, ok. Why don't you drop the bull**** and stick to the topic. I hope you don't vote, or even drive, you don't even know what a question is. It's amazing what passes for a high-school graduate these days.
    I kind of figured that Proportional allocation in the EC was self explanatory based on the definitions of the words. I guess you were unable to figure it out based on the what proportional or allocation meant.

    That....is "how". That's all you had to say. Now I know what you're talking about.
    You should have been able to figure it out based on the words given.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  10. #60
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: Do you like the electoral college voting system?

    On the whole, I fully favor the Electoral College system as it exists.

    I think it well reflects the manner in which this nations' founders intended representation to be allocated among the states; giving each state the same amount of representation in electing the President that it has in the two houses of Congress.

    In more practical terms, it has the effect, at times, of turning what would have been a tie, into a meaningful result. The 2000 election was a perfect example. For all intents and purposes, the popular vote was a dead tie between Bush and Gore. The way the Electoral system worked, it got down to one state, that would decide the result, and in which the vote was very, very close. Remember all the fuss that happened in Florida, with recounting the votes over and over again, every which way, and all the controversies over “hanging chads” and other ambiguities? If the election were to be decided by the national popular vote, this same fuss would have had to happen on a national scale. We wouldn't just have had to examine Florida's ballots to that level of detail; we would have had to examine all of the ballots, cast in the entire nation, at that level, to determine a result. If it had come to that, I very much doubt we would have been able to reliably determine the result before the term to which the President was to be elected had ended.

    I would like to see more states, especially large, diverse states like California, allocate their electors in a manner that is more in proportion to how their populations vote, instead of the winner-takes-all system that most states now use. I do think that the manner in which this is done should be left to each state.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •