View Poll Results: Are You Interested In More Nuclear Power?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell no! Remember Chernobyl?

    21 16.67%
  • Don't know.

    3 2.38%
  • Maybe. What do the scientists say?

    29 23.02%
  • Absolutely! Every other idea is even worse.

    79 62.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 382

Thread: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    01-16-14 @ 05:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,431

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Ask Japan.

  2. #52
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    yes and Yes
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  3. #53
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    We humans cracked the atom sometime in the early 1940's; built the first nuclear power plant anywhere on the planet in 1954 in the USSR. The US currently has 104 nuclear power plants.

    Nuclear Energy Institute - U.S. Nuclear Power Plants

    I can't believe I'm asking this, but I am. I'd rather have another one in my county than to have fraking for natural gas going on, or coal mining, or that benighted Keystone Pipeline.

    What say you? Could we achieve energy independence via building more nuclear power plants, and if so, would you be willing to do so?
    Uh....how does nuclear power fix our energy independence problem? Our energy problem is more of a liquid fuel issue. Granted, if we moved to a hydrogen based vehicle system, nuclear power could solve it that way, but right now how does Nuclear power solve our energy problem when our energy problem is liquid based?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  4. #54
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,925

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    O, *duh*. Of course.

    Still, if you want off the grid, there are technologies around that might could get you there -- one thing we all need is the right to sell excess power to the electric company, so none of needs a huge battery to store it. Parts of California have this -- maybe the whole state.
    One of my projects is to get off the California grid completly. I am doing a solar electrical and thermal, wind, battery, and conventional micro turbine combined cycle system. I wont have to pay PG&E another dime more when I am done. Meter will be removed at that point. In the central valley and most other parts of the state except LA and San Francisco we have a 4 tier rate system which is quite confiscatory in teirs 3-4. The rate teirs are based on usage. The more you use the more they charge per kilowatt. In the summer out here in the central valley and the deserts it can get to over 110 routinely. That means using air conditioning continuosly. That get very expensive if you are not on some program. LA and San Francisco only have to pay the first 2 teir rates no matter how much electricity they use. Sounds fair dont it? Its another in a long line of reasons our state is so divided.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  5. #55
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    O, true, but if electricity were significantly cheaper, electric cars would be far more appealing to the average consumer.

    I find it hard to believe we're stuck with the internal combustion engine in perpetuity.
    Why? We're still using steam. A nuclear power plant is effectively a steam power plant. Only PV solar, wind, and hydroelectric aren't using steam to generate power.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  6. #56
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Not so much politicians but more the people themselves and the people who work for those politicians.
    Well, the politicians in my state have recently approved the construction of a new lignite coal power plant which has gone $400 million over projected budget and is based on a design that most engineers have agreed is "questionable" as to level of its efficient "power output to cost of operation" ratio. The regional power cooperative has now been "forced" to pass on the extra cost of construction to the consumers in the form of a 35% increase in electricity bills over a 3-year period. For what it's worth.....I also live in one of the "poorest" states in the Union. This is just one reason why I have very little confidence in politicians when it comes to acting in the best interest of the citizenry.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  7. #57
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    Yes, because we all know our government is so very efficient when it comes to running and/or regulating any industry............I thought the idea was cheaper, cleaner and more efficient.............under this premise, are you certain you want the federal govt running things?
    When it comes to nuclear plants: absolutely. Private business is around to make money. Safety costs money. And nuclear plants require huge amounts of safety. It's questionable that nuclear plants can actually make money without the subsidies they get per kilowatt. Cheaper does not equate to better. Especially if that cheaper comes at the cost of safety. TEPCO's problems somewhat stem from weak regulation. They made a lot of cost savings measures that cut safety. And look where it got them.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #58
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post
    We humans cracked the atom sometime in the early 1940's; built the first nuclear power plant anywhere on the planet in 1954 in the USSR. The US currently has 104 nuclear power plants.

    Nuclear Energy Institute - U.S. Nuclear Power Plants

    I can't believe I'm asking this, but I am. I'd rather have another one in my county than to have fraking for natural gas going on, or coal mining, or that benighted Keystone Pipeline.

    What say you? Could we achieve energy independence via building more nuclear power plants, and if so, would you be willing to do so?
    This area is already a toxic waste site, so why not add radiation to the mix.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  9. #59
    All Warm and Fuzzy
    FluffyNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Miss-uh-Sippie
    Last Seen
    10-21-17 @ 04:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    4,831

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    When it comes to nuclear plants: absolutely. Private business is around to make money. Safety costs money. And nuclear plants require huge amounts of safety. It's questionable that nuclear plants can actually make money without the subsidies they get per kilowatt. Cheaper does not equate to better. Especially if that cheaper comes at the cost of safety. TEPCO's problems somewhat stem from weak regulation. They made a lot of cost savings measures that cut safety. And look where it got them.
    The domestic oil production industry was/is also supposedly "strictly regulated" by the fed govt........and we see how well that worked out in my back yard (the Gulf of Mexico) regarding the BP platform disaster.
    "Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." - Dr. Carl Sagan

  10. #60
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by FluffyNinja View Post
    Well, the politicians in my state have recently approved the construction of a new lignite coal power plant which has gone $400 million over projected budget and is based on a design that most engineers have agreed is "questionable" as to level of its efficient "power output to cost of operation" ratio. The regional power cooperative has now been "forced" to pass on the extra cost of construction to the consumers in the form of a 35% increase in electricity bills over a 3-year period. For what it's worth.....I also live in one of the "poorest" states in the Union. This is just one reason why I have very little confidence in politicians when it comes to acting in the best interest of the citizenry.
    Its not so much "co$t" im worried about its more about safety, and safety standards when dealing with the people and communities that surround them. Also i believe something as dangerous as nuclear power should not be put in the hands of a for profit business.


Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •