View Poll Results: Are You Interested In More Nuclear Power?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell no! Remember Chernobyl?

    21 16.67%
  • Don't know.

    3 2.38%
  • Maybe. What do the scientists say?

    29 23.02%
  • Absolutely! Every other idea is even worse.

    79 62.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 382

Thread: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

  1. #251
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Plebeian View Post
    Greetings UtahBill! I thank you for taking the time to respond to my initial post.



    While there has not been an attack on a nuclear power plant in our country (thankfully), I am sure that we can agree on the point that just because something has not happened in the past does not mean that it cannot happen in the future. Also, I do agree that there are easier ways to go about acts of terrorism (unfortunately, we have seen it happen in our lifetimes); however, I am sure that you would agree that this does not prevent a nuclear power plant from becoming a potential target.

    Without going too far off topic from the original poll question, I would like to link below a report from the Congressional Research Service, dated August of this year. This report was created by Mark Holt and Anthony Andrews.

    Nuclear Power Plant Security and Vulnerabilities

    A couple of statements taken from the summary at the beginning of the report should indicate its value to our discussion:

    More than a decade after the 9/11 attacks, security at nuclear plants remains an important concern.

    During the 136 inspections, 10 mock attacks resulted in the simulated destruction of complete target sets, indicating inadequate protection against the DBT (Design Basis Threat)…

    Nuclear power plant vulnerability to deliberate aircraft crashes has been a continuing issue.

    Other ongoing nuclear plant security issues include the vulnerability of spent fuel pools, which hold highly radioactive nuclear fuel after its removal from the reactor, standards for nuclear plant security personnel, and nuclear plant emergency planning.

    While this is just a single government report on the issue, there are many other reports (governmental and otherwise) out there that do agree with concerns presented here.



    I appreciate your candor, and do not conclude that it is some form of argumentum ad hominem. One of the reasons that I registered here at Debate Politics was to challenge my beliefs about subjects and to learn from others. Perhaps you would be kind enough to explain a bit about where I am misinformed, or at the least direct me to sources that may explain the issues clearer to me?

    In any event, I hope that you enjoy the rest of the holiday weekend, and look forward to a reply at your convenience!
    as for informing you, I hope you can be willing to learn...the year I spent in Nuclear Power School was academically the hardest thing I have ever done. You have to test very well for the recruiters just to get into the school and you have to have an "A" school in electronics, or electrical or mechanical trades first. Then nuke school is balls to the wall saturation training.... Class all day 5 days a week, lots of homework, math,physics, chemistry, thermodynamics, metallurgy, radiation types and their effect on the human body, etc. is the first half, then you go to prototype training (12 hours a day shift work, 7 days, a day off, 7 swings, 2 days off, 7 mids, 5 days off) at an operating reactor and study it with the goal of understanding (and drawing from memory) all the systems that allow us to operate them safely, and more. Mine was in 1966, not sure what they do now, but I suspect it hasn't changed much. after all that, you get to go to a ship and pretty much repeat the prototype school training. They don't let just anybody operate their reactors.
    I would expect you to read and try to learn, but there is no way I can duplicate for you what the Navy taught me.
    Last edited by UtahBill; 11-24-12 at 07:44 PM.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  2. #252
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,063

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    we won't know that if he doesn't post it...
    when you have questions about your car issues, you ask an educated trained mechanic, right? not the cleaning crew for the dealership....
    If you don't want to learn from someone who knows something about the topic, by all means, ask the janitor....
    Depends if that janitor served in the military and what their MO was.

  3. #253
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    except for local use, solar remains supplemental....
    for those who have the skills to install it, maintain it, etc., good for them.
    I was watching one of the educational channels not long ago and as an FYI solar electric power is on the verge of a huge breakthrough. Scientist and trying to figure of how to harvest energy from a spectrum of light that when they do will increase the power from solar electric cells 500%. All this technological advancement is driven by improvements on existing technology already on the market. Moore's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  4. #254
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    as for informing you, I hope you can be willing to learn...the year I spent in Nuclear Power School was academically the hardest thing I have ever done. You have to test very well for the recruiters just to get into the school and you have to have an "A" school in electronics, or electrical or mechanical trades first. Then nuke school is balls to the wall saturation training.... Class all day 5 days a week, lots of homework, math,physics, chemistry, thermodynamics, metallurgy, radiation types and their effect on the human body, etc. is the first half, then you go to prototype training (12 hours a day shift work, 7 days, a day off, 7 swings, 2 days off, 7 mids, 5 days off) at an operating reactor and study it with the goal of understanding (and drawing from memory) all the systems that allow us to operate them safely, and more. Mine was in 1966, not sure what they do now, but I suspect it hasn't changed much. after all that, you get to go to a ship and pretty much repeat the prototype school training. They don't let just anybody operate their reactors.
    I would expect you to read and try to learn, but there is no way I can duplicate for you what the Navy taught me.
    You described pretty much exactly what I went through in '99/'00. I don't know if you guys got to take your books/notes back to barracks, but we didn't. So we spent more time after school at the school building doing homework and studying. Some people were on mandatory 40s, meaning they had to log in at least 40 hours a week after class time or they got dropped. We started with over 600 going into Power School, ended with less than 400.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #255
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:21 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,312

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Their are 104 nukes in the USA and if a thousand fuel rods are stored at each site, that is over 100,000 fuel rods spread all over the country. That is just the commercial reactors. Military, educational, secret, etc. are unknown. The root problem is not that this potential thousands of years of contamination is all over the place, but that it was created in the first place. Now UtahBill and RogueNuke are successful military projects because you don't want anyone operating nukes that doesn't absolutely believe in them and they admit to considerable conditioning by this military. The military job is to teach one-sided propaganda to make true believers and it works, eh? Both are technically knowledgeable but are of absolutely partisan nuke beliefs, or they would not have been allowed to work at their jobs.

  6. #256
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    Their are 104 nukes in the USA and if a thousand fuel rods are stored at each site, that is over 100,000 fuel rods spread all over the country. That is just the commercial reactors. Military, educational, secret, etc. are unknown. The root problem is not that this potential thousands of years of contamination is all over the place, but that it was created in the first place. Now UtahBill and RogueNuke are successful military projects because you don't want anyone operating nukes that doesn't absolutely believe in them and they admit to considerable conditioning by this military. The military job is to teach one-sided propaganda to make true believers and it works, eh? Both are technically knowledgeable but are of absolutely partisan nuke beliefs, or they would not have been allowed to work at their jobs.
    are you wearing your party specific tin hat today? or your paranoia before breakfast tin hat?
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  7. #257
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    You described pretty much exactly what I went through in '99/'00. I don't know if you guys got to take your books/notes back to barracks, but we didn't. So we spent more time after school at the school building doing homework and studying. Some people were on mandatory 40s, meaning they had to log in at least 40 hours a week after class time or they got dropped. We started with over 600 going into Power School, ended with less than 400.
    I had a routine for the first 6 months at MINSY, and the only entertainment was 1 movie a week, 1 trip into town a week, 3 one hours sessions a week working out, jogging twice a week. and twice a week to the EM club for a steak sandwich with frys and some kind of libation.
    Friday nights a group of us would play nickel/dime/quarter poker half the night. There was no TV in my schedule.
    The next 6 months, there wasn't as much time for frivolities...
    But it was worth it....I developed an understanding of how things work.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  8. #258
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    U.S. Navy Nuclear Power School
    Nuclear Power School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://www.navycs.com/navy-nuclear-power-test.html
    http://www.military.com/ASVAB/0,,ASVAB_MOS_Navy.html
    top 10% just to get IN, and once I got there, they tested us again, and I got placed in the top 10% again, meaning I was in the top 1% of navy enlisted ranks....
    my mother used to tell me how stupid I was....but once I became a civilian and used my education, training, and experience to make as much as a college graduate, THEN she wanted to come spend winters with me. That didn't happen, she would have driven our kids crazy...
    Last edited by UtahBill; 11-25-12 at 10:58 AM.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  9. #259
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:21 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,312

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    are you wearing your party specific tin hat today? or your paranoia before breakfast tin hat?
    That post was and is a factual observation. Objectively correct.

  10. #260
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    That post was and is a factual observation. Objectively correct.
    partisan? propaganda? doesn't matter the color of the koolaid, it is still koolaid, right? yours just happens to be colored solar...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

Page 26 of 39 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •