View Poll Results: Are You Interested In More Nuclear Power?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell no! Remember Chernobyl?

    21 16.67%
  • Don't know.

    3 2.38%
  • Maybe. What do the scientists say?

    29 23.02%
  • Absolutely! Every other idea is even worse.

    79 62.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 382

Thread: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

  1. #231
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    Consistent. Wrong again. Solar charges batteries, preferably nickel/iron, some still being used since 1900. They use up electrolyte, potassium hydroxide, not the metal plates. Inverters are use to make the alternating current. Many small inverters, 2-400 watts availavle at $29-79 at Harbor Frieght. The cooling fans in the larger cause diminishing returns, but are necessary for appliances with motors. A generator with the exhaust pipe plugged in to a hot water heater so when you do need a little extra juice, you can use the 75% of energy usually wasted out exhaust to make hot water. Potable or baseboard. Now the big factory down the street might not be able to do this, but does that mean we are subsidizing them with centralized distribution of energy or as you refer "the grid," and if they are using big current, they are responsible for larger line losses and should pay more. Tip o' the iceberg, bucko.
    except for local use, solar remains supplemental....
    for those who have the skills to install it, maintain it, etc., good for them.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  2. #232
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    IMO the basic concept of "clean energy" is a misnomer. Such a thing does not exist. Even the sun puts out radiation which is harmful to us. No organism is clean as each produces wast, likewise every power source also produces wast.

    The key is not to eliminate waste, but to properly manage it.

  3. #233
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:51 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,290

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    except for local use, solar remains supplemental....
    for those who have the skills to install it, maintain it, etc., good for them.

    I enjoy the debate with you. I know your previous employment in the industry makes it difficult to think of the negative viewpoints. Same for me as regards the opposing viewpoint. I'm committed to Green energy because of Global Warming and the shortsighted nature of human planning. It's hard to plan outside one's projected lifetime and that is what our Energy policy requires. I suppose it's "do the right thing and don't give up." Gonna die anyway. Inevitable, goes with humanity. I have lots of kids, grandkids, and feel obligated to impact their futures in a positive manner.

  4. #234
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,353

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    again, there is no connection between commercial nukes and plutonium....
    and nothing is "sitting around".
    People who think like this have clearly never worked at a commercial nuke plant, and most of them have never taken a chemistry or physics class.
    No, I never worked in a nuclear power plant and I hope you never worked in one either, you clearly don't understand nuclear fission at all.

    Plutonium is a man-made waste product of nuclear fission, which can be used either for fuel in nuclear power plants or for bombs.
    In the year 2000, an estimated 310 tons (620,000 pounds) of civilian, weapons-usable plutonium had been produced.
    Less than 8 kilograms (about 18 pounds) of plutonium is enough for one Nagasaki-type bomb. Thus, in the year 2000 alone, enough plutonium was created to make more than 34,000 nuclear weapons.
    The technology for producing nuclear energy that is shared among nations, particularly the process that turns raw uranium into lowly-enriched uranium, can also be used to produce highly-enriched, weapons-grade uranium.
    The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) is responsible for monitoring the world’s nuclear facilities and for preventing weapons proliferation, but their safeguards have serious shortcomings. Though the IAEA is promoting additional safeguards agreements to increase the effectiveness of their inspections, the agency acknowledges that, due to measurement uncertainties, it cannot detect all possible diversions of nuclear material. (Nuclear Control Institute)
    Issues: Nuclear Energy & Waste: Nuclear Energy Fact Sheet

  5. #235
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I enjoy the debate with you. I know your previous employment in the industry makes it difficult to think of the negative viewpoints. Same for me as regards the opposing viewpoint. I'm committed to Green energy because of Global Warming and the shortsighted nature of human planning. It's hard to plan outside one's projected lifetime and that is what our Energy policy requires. I suppose it's "do the right thing and don't give up." Gonna die anyway. Inevitable, goes with humanity. I have lots of kids, grandkids, and feel obligated to impact their futures in a positive manner.
    I am committed to green energy as well, and nuclear is as green as solar. There are some hinky chemicals involved in the production of solar cells and batteries. I am also committed to conservation of all forms of energy, green or otherwise.
    We waste too much of it..
    Conservation is the greenest thing we can do, it is easy, and it is low tech.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  6. #236
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    No, I never worked in a nuclear power plant and I hope you never worked in one either, you clearly don't understand nuclear fission at all.



    Issues: Nuclear Energy & Waste: Nuclear Energy Fact Sheet
    The plutonium is locked in the spent fuel, it has to be extracted. Commercial power plants store their spent fuel on site. They do not make weapons grade material on site. Plutonium is usually made at breeder reactors. Google is your friend...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  7. #237
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    No, I never worked in a nuclear power plant and I hope you never worked in one either, you clearly don't understand nuclear fission at all.



    Issues: Nuclear Energy & Waste: Nuclear Energy Fact Sheet
    from your own source.....

    Though some countries reprocess nuclear waste (in essence, preparing it to send through the cycle again to create more energy), this process is banned in the U.S. due to increased proliferation risks, as the reprocessed materials can also be used for making bombs. Reprocessing is also not a solution because it just creates additional nuclear waste.

    a liberal education does not equip the average person with the ability to understand science nearly as well as a scientific education does...
    and your source is clearly liberal....it states incomplete "facts" and then blends them to lead the technically ignorant astray.
    It looks like a way of lying without actually saying anything that is untrue. We with the more balanced education call it propaganda....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  8. #238
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,040

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    from your own source.....

    Though some countries reprocess nuclear waste (in essence, preparing it to send through the cycle again to create more energy), this process is banned in the U.S. due to increased proliferation risks, as the reprocessed materials can also be used for making bombs. Reprocessing is also not a solution because it just creates additional nuclear waste.

    a liberal education does not equip the average person with the ability to understand science nearly as well as a scientific education does...
    and your source is clearly liberal....it states incomplete "facts" and then blends them to lead the technically ignorant astray.
    It looks like a way of lying without actually saying anything that is untrue. We with the more balanced education call it propaganda....
    Technically that would be spin propaganda.

    Spin would be like claiming that solar energy is just as dangerous as nuclear energy.

  9. #239
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Technically that would be spin propaganda.

    Spin would be like claiming that solar energy is just as dangerous as nuclear energy.
    consider the injuries from falling off the roof while installing solar panels and it may be....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  10. #240
    Sage
    lpast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Fla
    Last Seen
    05-21-16 @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,565

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Everyone has to face a reality....Solar, Wind will never bring energy to the mass's its a fail. Coal is dirty and eventually will run low...Natural Gas is a good choice, but how much of that do we have....Ive lived around nuclear plants and I do right now...I also lived around a coal burning power plant that had installed a MULTI MILLION dollar govt demanded air purifier...this filter was supposed to purify the air being expelled from the plant...it did turn the air from dark black to grey...but every single morning my car was COVERED in soot...the same soot I and my family were inhaling...
    Ill take my chance with nuclear

Page 24 of 39 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •