View Poll Results: Are You Interested In More Nuclear Power?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell no! Remember Chernobyl?

    21 16.67%
  • Don't know.

    3 2.38%
  • Maybe. What do the scientists say?

    29 23.02%
  • Absolutely! Every other idea is even worse.

    79 62.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 20 of 39 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 382

Thread: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

  1. #191
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    Build a house like a walk-in cooler/freezer. Tightly insulated in all six directions. Make sure a long wall is solar south oriented, not the same as magnetic. Install 350 square feet of glazing/windows in that south facing wall. The envelope will not lose energy/heat or A/C because it is superinsulated. Energy use will be nominally the same whether 400 square feet or 4000 square feet and varies more with the number of occupants. Now install an air to air heat exchanger to move fresh air in and remove odors and moisture. Think air change occasionally. Humans make the odors and moisture. Windows lose heat when the sun is not shining, so install Solar Reflex Heaters in the south facing windows. There are no other windows. These are insulating panels that are also solar collectors. They automatically turn on/off when the sun shines and off when it is dark or behind a cloud. This design is absolutely 100% solar. Unless you are in an area that might go for weeks without sun, it is a 100% solar home. A small wood stove is reccommended for backup heating because it does not add moisture to the interior. Very small because it is a zero energy use envelope. Solar Reflex Heater pat. 4,971,028. I'm prejudiced.
    Which is what I have been saying. But until every building is made this way or some way that is 100% energy independent, we will need power from somewhere, and nuclear is better than coal or NG, and solar and wind and hydro aren't practical for every area.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #192
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:16 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,306

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    is it possible that any article I give you will be flawed?
    It is very possible if you do not address the flaws that I specifically identified. I did not make an ad hoc dismissal of your argument, but addressed specific issues. When you discuss economic issues, all costs must be identified and accounted for. It is that "accounted for" that is missing in all nuke justification arguments. Long term. I know you like nukes because you worked in the industry. I am not attacking you personally, just asking for economic accountability, including Global Glowing (think fuel pools, among others) over the lifetime of the wastes involved.

  3. #193
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    It is very possible if you do not address the flaws that I specifically identified. I did not make an ad hoc dismissal of your argument, but addressed specific issues. When you discuss economic issues, all costs must be identified and accounted for. It is that "accounted for" that is missing in all nuke justification arguments. Long term. I know you like nukes because you worked in the industry. I am not attacking you personally, just asking for economic accountability, including Global Glowing (think fuel pools, among others) over the lifetime of the wastes involved.
    spent fuel is an asset, if we ever decide to reprocess it to make new fuel....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  4. #194
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:16 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,306

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    spent fuel is an asset, if we ever decide to reprocess it to make new fuel....

    Tell that to Fukushima!

  5. #195
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    Tell that to Fukushima!
    operator error.....clear and simple.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  6. #196
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Klown View Post
    Get hold of a KiCKs study conducted by Germany

    The incidence of cancer in children living near nuclear power plants is higher than the normal levels

    The French also conducted similar studies and found the same effects
    The German study doesn't know what is causing the increase. The study was done using government data and scientific articles. They are attributing it to living in the vicinity of nuclear power plants, but they didn't look for any other reason that those people could have greater numbers.

    I did find this though.

    Childhood cancer no higher in vicinity of nuclear power plants, Swiss study suggests

    And this about coal sites.

    NDCA Cancer Cluster Linked to Coal ? - National Disease Cluster Alliance
    Lung cancer alarm near coal-fired power stations - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

    Coal ash is radioactive too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Klown View Post
    In Fukushima post meltdown about 57,000 children were tested and about 42% had abnormal Thyroid glands (the normal Thyroid abnormality rate in children is less than 1%(

    Fukushima still melting down and releasing radionuclide

    Nuclear power and its waste is the most insane human activity in history

    And lets not mention nuclear weapons which is the main reason nuclear power plants are built (ie to get Plutonium which is a by product of nuclear fissioning of Uranium)
    Nuclear power plants are not built for making nuclear weapons any more. When they were first designed, sure. That is not true now, at least not in western countries.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #197
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,023

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by fredmertzz View Post
    When I think of a Nuke plant, I immediately fear it will be a terrorist target, especially if it is near a city.

    I personally would not want to live near a Nuke plant, only for that reason; I believe our safety measures are more than satisfactory presently.

    I do not believe we should be spending the time or energy building Nuclear plants. I would rather continue on the path we are on now, using natural resources (I live in Frack-country, I'm a nature lover and I fully understand the costs to this suggestion, but the risk/reward ratio deems it the best option IMO) until technology let's us take advantage of renewable energy - we're well on our way there, I believe. It should be within a decade that the technology is here, then it's a matter of implementation.

    I do not want to increase our risk for a short-term solution that will be outdated before my kids go to college.
    Every power plant in the world is a potential terrorist target. Because taking out power sources causes confusion, civil unrest, and major problems. It is part of our infrastructure. The terrorists don't care about attacking a nuclear power plant to get radioactive material (there are many more easily accessible places to get that). The only reason they would attack a nuclear power plant is the same reason they would attack the Hoover Dam, or a coal plant, or a natural gas plant, or a solar or wind plant, to take out electricity. And the chances of them doing something to a nuclear power plant that would be worse than any other plant they might attack for that purpose are extremely small.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #198
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    we have lots of uranium on hand, so it doesn't need to be renewable...
    a "clean" coal plant, with latest scrubbing technology, costs as much as nuclear...
    New Jersey is "uninhabitable", yet people live there...
    Nice collection of assertions. Not true, but nice.

    http://www.americanprogress.org/issu...nuclear-power/
    The Staggering Cost of New Nuclear Power

    Are people ready for their electric bills to go up 300 to 500% - waiting a decade or two on top of that?
    Last edited by joko104; 11-23-12 at 12:28 PM.

  9. #199
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Nice collection of assertions. Not true, but nice.

    The Staggering Cost of New Nuclear Power | Center for American Progress
    The Staggering Cost of New Nuclear Power

    Are people ready for their electric bills to go up 300 to 500% - waiting a decade or two on top of that?
    nuclear is cheaper than solar....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  10. #200
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    Re: Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinkie View Post

    Would You Tolerate Nuclear Power For Energy Independence?


    All energy is NOT equal. It depends on what we're trying to energize. We already are energy independent in electricity. And despite misconceptions, there is also fuzzy math that says we're also NET energy independent in transportation, currently exporting more oil than we import although we still import.

    I find it a little curious that people (usually politicians and pundits) try to link foreign OIL dependance from volatile America hating regions used create gasoline to all energy including electricity, which has little to no relationship to oil.

    The Middle East by and large all hates our guts. We are at least entangled with if not dependent upon the Middle East at least enough to have our military engaged in its longest conflict in American history. This not to mention the complete erasure of all privacy from electronic monitoring by our government to not being allowed on an airplane without government agents seeing us naked with hopes that they are decent enough people not to photograph us and/or secretly invite co-workers of the opposite gender not to watch from a secure area for fun while being assured there are "rules" that protect of privacy to the greatest degree possible as if government workers always abide by the rules. All of this rooted in OIL dependency in order to get to work. The solutions, since both gasoline for cars and electricity for homes and businesses are both "energy" pull a shell game switch-a-roo and tell Americans the solution to our need for gasoline can be solved with more nuclear power plants and give it a catchy talking points slogan like "all of the above" .

    Nuclear power will have absolutely zero impact on Middle Eastern geopolitical entanglement unless we're concurrently pushing the phasing out of the internal combustion engine vehicle to be replaced with electric vehicles. I have never in my life heard any politician or pundit who advocates for nuclear power as a supposed measure to free us from Middle Eastern entanglement mention electric cars not only in the same breath but ever and they most often they oppose them. Translation: They have no respect for my intelligence but expect me to vote for them under threat of being labeled a RINO.

    To answer the question. I support nuclear power but generally lean not in my backyard although I've lived near nuclear power plants. I would support them more if I could be assured my electric bill would be substantially reduced but I know that will never happen no matter how much money in electrical production is saved. I have greater support for wind and solar electrical production at the point of use such as at home to supplement power grid needs and even support making solar electric roofing and/or backyard wind power code required in some windy and sunny areas as test markets. I'm less concerned with coal and NG as environmental dangers than nuclear and would love to see more coal and NG power plants. I'm fully excited about phasing out of the internal combustion engine vehicle to be replaced with electric vehicles.
    Last edited by Smeagol; 11-23-12 at 01:07 PM.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

Page 20 of 39 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •