View Poll Results: What would happen if an independent or 3rd party candidate were elected President?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Change, real change, would happen.

    8 21.05%
  • Pretty much the same thing as always.

    12 31.58%
  • Gridlock even worse than we have seen thus far.

    10 26.32%
  • Something else.

    8 21.05%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 50

Thread: What would happen if an independent or 3rd party candidate were elected President?

  1. #31
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,794

    Re: What would happen if an independent or 3rd party candidate were elected President

    Quote Originally Posted by AreteCourage View Post
    At least you looked into it and found it wasn't for you.
    Most third party platforms are virtually identical to the platforms of either the Democrats or the Republicans, except for a couple of positions that they go to extremes on. They really have very little different to say and if you don't like extremist positions, third parties just aren't for you.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  2. #32
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: What would happen if an independent or 3rd party candidate were elected President

    Just a president wouldnt change, to start we need to reconstruct our whole electoral process.


  3. #33
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,423

    Re: What would happen if an independent or 3rd party candidate were elected President

    Please note that the Libertarians were not my intent in asking the question, it was intended to be a generic "What if...?" question, but I understand the conversation going in that direction as they are the best known of the current 3rd parties.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: What would happen if an independent or 3rd party candidate were elected President

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Please note that the Libertarians were not my intent in asking the question, it was intended to be a generic "What if...?" question, but I understand the conversation going in that direction as they are the best known of the current 3rd parties.
    I don't think any current libertarian (or other 3rd party) candidates are worth voting for, but honestly, compared to the likes of Jill Stein.
    Obama is a freaking genius.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #35
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,048

    Re: What would happen if an independent or 3rd party candidate were elected President

    Quote Originally Posted by AreteCourage View Post
    Wow...what a horrible view. I completely disagree with you. The two party system is corrupt and ran by corporate special interest groups, but that is okay with you.

    3rd Parties give different options to those issues you mentioned. Pretty simple when it comes to Libertarians...keep government out. There is no xenophobia so much as no entangling alliances. We're all for diplomacy and trade with nations...just against being forced by a group of nations to do something. Globalization is not good.

    You need to learn and research a bit more because their issues are in black and white. It is more than generalizations. Its up to you as a responsible voter to understand them. To sit there and say the two party system is the best is naive and wrong.
    Blaming the voters for being uninformed will not get your Independent guy elected. The Democrats and Republicans are able to get elected because they are highly organized and can raise enough money to get their message to the American people. Independents, presently, have platitudes.

    For the record, I would have loved Jill Stein to be president. In reality she had next to no money, no organization, and was thus hilariously unelectable.

  6. #36
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,048

    Re: What would happen if an independent or 3rd party candidate were elected President

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Gridlock. Congress would unite to blockade that president like nothing you've ever seen in your lives.
    That was my first thought as well. Democrats and Republicans have a hard enough time pushing their agendas through. And that's when they have a straight legislative and executive majority.

  7. #37
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,926

    Re: What would happen if an independent or 3rd party candidate were elected President

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Double-edged sword. The President of "No" can't make things worse. He also can't make things better. Essentially, it would result in a president treading water for 4 years with no real change, which - in my opinion - would be a loss overall in my book. Someone winning on a 3rd party platform would be elected by belief of change, which would be impossible.
    Depends on the change voted for. If the change is for smaller govermnet and less spending the essintialy he doesnt have to have congress. If the change is along the lines of what obama whants or is inacting something NEW then hes gona have a problem. Remember the president can say no. And do nothing. This means they dont have to spend was is alocated. They can fire people, shut down departments, and SHRINK things Dramatically. Most people think along the line of what is required for new spending. Remember there is NO budget right now. Theoretically the president could refuse to pay any employees and shut the government down literally completely till one is passed with SOME ligimacay. They are also writing a blank check to the president if you look at the other edge to the sword. Of course a lot of people wont like it. Like I said if they vote for SMALLER goverment it can be done without congress. Bigger goverment requires congress.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  8. #38
    Resident Martian ;)
    PirateMk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    9,926

    Re: What would happen if an independent or 3rd party candidate were elected President

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Gridlock even worse, because he would get absolutely no partisan support from either party in Congress.
    I would vote third party for president no matter what party for just that reason. I LOVE gridlock, the more the merrier. The less congress and the president does the happier I am.
    Semper Fidelis, Semper Liber.
    I spit at lots of people through my computer screen. Not only does it "teach them a lesson" but it keeps the screen clean and shiny.
    Stolen fair and square from the Capt. Courtesey himself.

  9. #39
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: What would happen if an independent or 3rd party candidate were elected President

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Blaming the voters for being uninformed will not get your Independent guy elected. The Democrats and Republicans are able to get elected because they are highly organized and can raise enough money to get their message to the American people. Independents, presently, have platitudes.

    For the record, I would have loved Jill Stein to be president. In reality she had next to no money, no organization, and was thus hilariously unelectable.

    Democrats and republicans are able to get elected due to name recognition that the media gives them and that is only with the democrats and republicans the media wants. And there is the fact many states screw 3rd parties with stiff ballot requirements, and ban on write-ins .The only reason most people know who Obama and Romney are is because the media did stories on them, the media invited them to appear on talk shows and only did presidential debates with those two candidates. Jill Stein and other 3rd party candidates did poorly simply because most people don't know who they are and or because republicans and democrats prevented them from appearing on the ballots. Its not the money.Money buys ads but those ads are mostly run in swing states.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  10. #40
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,423

    Re: What would happen if an independent or 3rd party candidate were elected President

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Democrats and republicans are able to get elected due to name recognition that the media gives them and that is only with the democrats and republicans the media wants. And there is the fact many states screw 3rd parties with stiff ballot requirements, and ban on write-ins .The only reason most people know who Obama and Romney are is because the media did stories on them, the media invited them to appear on talk shows and only did presidential debates with those two candidates. Jill Stein and other 3rd party candidates did poorly simply because most people don't know who they are and or because republicans and democrats prevented them from appearing on the ballots. Its not the money.Money buys ads but those ads are mostly run in swing states.
    This is a pet-peeve of mine. Other than the normal criteria for qualifying for office, i.e. age, residency, and so on, there should be ZERO limits to write-ins. If I want to vote for John Schmoe for President, and John Schmoe meets the regular criteria, then my vote for John Schmoe should count.

    Anyway, overall, I think you're 2/3 right. Money and exposure are huge when factoring who can be elected and who cannot, but there is also the fact that most 3rd parties and their candidates are on the outer-fringes of what most average people really want. I think what most people subconsciously want when they say they want a viable 3rd party is that they want a party more in the middle, between the Dems and the Reps, and no such beast exists.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •