View Poll Results: Should David Petraeus be asked to resume his job as CIA Director?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    6 20.69%
  • No

    21 72.41%
  • Yes, but with certain conditions

    0 0%
  • Other

    2 6.90%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33

Thread: Should David Petraeus be asked to resume his job as CIA Director?

  1. #21
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Should David Petraeus be asked to resume his job as CIA Director?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Is your job your number one priority?
    Nope. Make me head of the CIA and it will be. Some jobs have serious responsibilities that require a greater commitment than others.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: Should David Petraeus be asked to resume his job as CIA Director?

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Uhhh... dude... secret emails?

    He is the Director of the CIA, do you think everyone should know the contents of all of his emails? Or do you believe secret emails are a part of the job?
    Liberals look for transparency in all the wrong places.

  3. #23
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Should David Petraeus be asked to resume his job as CIA Director?

    Does a man that cheats on his wife get fired because of that? No, why should this be different?
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  4. #24
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Should David Petraeus be asked to resume his job as CIA Director?

    In my view the real problem with him having a girl on the side is simply his security clearance. When you get a security clearance they teach you not ot do anything you can be black mailed for. One of the things I remember them using an example was buying someone stuff from the PX. You pick up a guy a pack of smokes at the PX (for .45c back then) then the guy would ask for something else and elevate it until he starts blackmailing you to tell him secrets or he would report you. Same as having a gay lover or not gay lover, or girlfriend if you are married, or anything you can be blackmailed over. Gen P knows an affair would make him a prime target for blackmail.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  5. #25
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Should David Petraeus be asked to resume his job as CIA Director?

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    Does a man that cheats on his wife get fired because of that? No, why should this be different?
    Do you understand that being head of the CIA has different requirements than your typical job? For example, a typical employee wouldn't face any penalties for chatting to his buddy about his co-worker named Bob who has a stapler obsession. If Petraeus had done that, he would be committing a federal crime and potentially putting someones life in danger.

  6. #26
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    no longer posting
    Last Seen
    01-10-13 @ 02:56 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    453

    Re: Should David Petraeus be asked to resume his job as CIA Director?

    I think his judgement is far too questionable to be put back into that position.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    SE Asia
    Last Seen
    07-12-14 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    2,333

    Re: Should David Petraeus be asked to resume his job as CIA Director?

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Nope. Make me head of the CIA and it will be. Some jobs have serious responsibilities that require a greater commitment than others.
    That is true, and it is possible that at least one of the reasons he resigned is he wants to try and repair his relationship with his wife and family.

    The man served his country for most of his life. If he now wants to focus on those closer to him, I say let him be.

  8. #28
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should David Petraeus be asked to resume his job as CIA Director?

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    In my view the real problem with him having a girl on the side is simply his security clearance. When you get a security clearance they teach you not ot do anything you can be black mailed for. One of the things I remember them using an example was buying someone stuff from the PX. You pick up a guy a pack of smokes at the PX (for .45c back then) then the guy would ask for something else and elevate it until he starts blackmailing you to tell him secrets or he would report you. Same as having a gay lover or not gay lover, or girlfriend if you are married, or anything you can be blackmailed over. Gen P knows an affair would make him a prime target for blackmail.
    Thank you. I feel bad for Petraeus, I feel especially bad for his wife. But spies and spymasters have to be above these things. It wouldn't even have to be the person he is having the affair with... it could be some enemy who discovers the affair. Bad situation, and it doesn't matter if he didn't yet breach security.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Should David Petraeus be asked to resume his job as CIA Director?

    No.

    Not only is he a dumbass in his private life.

    But he was (imo) WAY over rated as a general.

    The 'surge' worked because the Iraqi's 'worked' things out amongst themselves - partially because al qaeda went too far. Partially for other reasons. The surge had little to do with it (imo).
    And Afghanistan has been a flat out failure - and that was partially his baby too.

    The military never should have gone away from the Powell doctrine. NEVER.

    And Patraeus was one of the people (apparently) who helped do just that. And the result was probably a TON more U.S. deaths then would have been otherwise.

    And all you Patraeus lovers can save your breath because there is NO WAY you are convincing me otherwise.


    Imo, Patraeus is a very intelligent guy. But he is a product of a media that was desperate for a military star in a sea of bad news.


    Besides, there are LOTS of qualified people that can run the CIA.
    Last edited by DA60; 11-17-12 at 04:01 AM.

  10. #30
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Should David Petraeus be asked to resume his job as CIA Director?

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Do you understand that being head of the CIA has different requirements than your typical job? For example, a typical employee wouldn't face any penalties for chatting to his buddy about his co-worker named Bob who has a stapler obsession. If Petraeus had done that, he would be committing a federal crime and potentially putting someones life in danger.
    He has already stated that he did not pass along any information to her, therefore there is no problems.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •