View Poll Results: Could secession ever be appropriate?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Secession could possibly be acceptable

    69 70.41%
  • Secession is never acceptable

    29 29.59%
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 162

Thread: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

  1. #1
    Professor
    Bigfoot 88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    12-01-15 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,027
    Blog Entries
    1

    Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Since many believe there is no right to secession, does that mean you would not support secession regardless of what the federal government did?
    "I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money." -Thomas Sowell

  2. #2
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-12 @ 04:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    498

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot 88 View Post
    Since many believe there is no right to secession, does that mean you would not support secession regardless of what the federal government did?
    At this point I think secession is a good idea.

    An increase in states rights and a decrease in federal power would be ideal for everyone but I don't think that is possible now.

  3. #3
    User Intricate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    01-28-13 @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    29

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    I think the principle of succession is good, it keeps an extra check on the federal government and allows states a way to defend themselves against corruption. At this point the federal government has consistently violated so many civil liberties as to render itself illegitimate. It may be to the point that only a mass movement of the states can reduce and reform the corrupted federal government.

    Right now, in my opinion, we need to promote and defend states rights and the principles of federalism against the rising trend of authoritarianism in government.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    01-30-13 @ 07:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,036

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    As I stated in the other secession thread, because of the make-up of the SCOTUS, secessation CAN NOT HAPPEN.

    It WILL NOT HAPPEN.

  5. #5
    Demented Lycanthropist
    wolfman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East Waboo USA
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    the problem would be the obvious one. Who gets what? The Jesus map is a farce of some demented Limbaugh fan.

    Each group would have to have access to the Atlantic and Pacific, the Mississippi, deep water ports, the food belt and industry.

    How would the people be moved who wanted to leave. Be compensated for thier loss of job, business or property? Would busineses corporations and industry just suddenly pack up and move?

    How would the military be divided? How would short range and medium range nukes be handled. Treaty. What if one group said no?

    Government files, agencies, international organizations, companies, infrastructure?

    If you think its as easy as drawing a line in the sand think real hard and then think again.
    "Those who do not learn from history and condemned to relive it".

    "There are those who will debate the necessity of wilderness, I will not, either you know it in your bones or you are very very old". Aldo Leopold - Sand County Almanac

  6. #6
    Civil Libertarian
    DashingAmerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    08-31-17 @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,357

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by marsden View Post
    As I stated in the other secession thread, because of the make-up of the SCOTUS, secessation CAN NOT HAPPEN.

    It WILL NOT HAPPEN.
    See, this is where I start disagreeing with most people. In my opinion people who are willing to secede no longer recognize the SCOTUS or the unconstitutional nature of seceding. Why would they listen to the laws of a government they no longer recognize?
    If you strike me down, I'll become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

  7. #7
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    I don't see a possible scenario where secession won't lead to war. Our nation is interdependent and connected, and if part of that whole were to suddenly disappear from the greater machine, it will create economic disaster. We will either fight to keep ourselves one nation, or fight over the resources that are suddenly held by a neighboring nation that is, by its very design, hostile to our interests. If you want to destroy this country, embroiling it in a second civil war would be the quickest way to do it.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  8. #8
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-12 @ 04:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    498

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman24 View Post
    the problem would be the obvious one. Who gets what? The Jesus map is a farce of some demented Limbaugh fan.

    Each group would have to have access to the Atlantic and Pacific, the Mississippi, deep water ports, the food belt and industry.

    How would the people be moved who wanted to leave. Be compensated for thier loss of job, business or property? Would busineses corporations and industry just suddenly pack up and move?

    How would the military be divided? How would short range and medium range nukes be handled. Treaty. What if one group said no?

    Government files, agencies, international organizations, companies, infrastructure?

    If you think its as easy as drawing a line in the sand think real hard and then think again.
    It doesn't really work like that though.

    You're treating it like an amicable divorce but a secession is when one area decides it doesn't want to be part of the whole anymore.

  9. #9
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-12 @ 04:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    498

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    I don't see a possible scenario where secession won't lead to war. Our nation is interdependent and connected, and if part of that whole were to suddenly disappear from the greater machine, it will create economic disaster. We will either fight to keep ourselves one nation, or fight over the resources that are suddenly held by a neighboring nation that is, by its very design, hostile to our interests. If you want to destroy this country, embroiling it in a second civil war would be the quickest way to do it.
    I disagree.

    Greenland seceded from the EU amicably and the UK constantly seems on the verge of pulling out too without any talk of war. War would really benefit no one if a secession occurred.

  10. #10
    Student dyanaprajna2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-14-15 @ 02:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    241

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Secession is never a good idea. The last time I checked, this was the 'United' States of America. Those who think secession is a viable option, in my opinion, don't really believe that we are united. It shows that the country is not, at heart, in their interests. It shows that they don't really think we are a people united. It shows that they don't believe in freedom, and especially individualism, which is something that I thought was supposed to be a hallmark of Republican ideas. Which also shows the futility and uselessness of their ideas.
    "To do good, to avoid evil, and to purify the mind, this is the teaching of all Buddhas." -the Buddha, from the Dhammapada

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •