View Poll Results: Could secession ever be appropriate?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Secession could possibly be acceptable

    69 70.41%
  • Secession is never acceptable

    29 29.59%
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 162

Thread: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

  1. #81
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot 88 View Post
    Since many believe there is no right to secession, does that mean you would not support secession regardless of what the federal government did?
    It could be warranted and acceptable. Same as revolution, same as beheading some politicians.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #82
    Professor
    Bigfoot 88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    12-01-15 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,027
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by dyanaprajna2011 View Post
    I'm curious: why do you think the government forces views on people?
    Government is made of people, and power is an inherent human trait.
    "I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money." -Thomas Sowell

  3. #83
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,039

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    Because it wasn't necessary. You said secession was treason without any caveats.
    Well logically people do not assert that a part of this country should break off of the whole without a good reason.



    Thanks for the historical revisionism but no, it was still Germany.
    Well you are sort of right the name Germany was still being used, but Nazi Germany was by no means the same country that it was. The form of government changed entirely and the citizens were besieged by this new government. So yes technically that is what is considered a new country even if the name remains the same.


    It has happened throughout history. Granted, the more powerful nation usually wins, but if a group of people believe enough in a cause they will fight for it despite poor odds.
    What the hell are you talking about? The US is one country, the states are only sections of this one nation not separate nations.


    Yes, but that isn't relevant.
    I would normally agree but you seem to not know Americans very well.

  4. #84
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,039

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    So if the people voted for it and lets say some seventy percent(extremely high I know) voted for secession the proper response would be to support going to war with seventy percent of the people in the state. You honestly don't see anything off about your argument at all do you?
    A State cannot vote itself out of the union without declaring war on the US.

    Btw, we are not talking about corruption or some sort of small movement of people taking over the state, but secession in general which could easily be voted on by the people and/or the government.
    Again the act of secession is an declaration of war on the US. And would be treated as such. Secession is just a pipe dream of people who have no clue of what they are talking about. But secession make good fodder for the militia types.

  5. #85
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,829

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Well logically people do not assert that a part of this country should break off of the whole without a good reason.
    Nationalist-speak usually does not go along with reason.



    What the hell are you talking about? The US is one country, the states are only sections of this one nation not separate nations.
    If a state seceded it becomes a separate nation (although the dictator may not recognize its sovereignty). The South became a separate nation during the Civil War despite the North's refusal to recognize it as separate.

    I would normally agree but you seem to not know Americans very well.
    So since we disagree about secession you assume that I don't know Americans very well?

    And btw, I majored in History so I know enough to talk about it.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  6. #86
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    We could just amend the Constitution you know......

  7. #87
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,150

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    At least you guys don't have a Quebec.

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denio Junction
    Last Seen
    11-13-14 @ 12:09 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,039
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    I'd be all for it if I didn't live in California.....you have to remember it could be worse.

  9. #89
    Professor

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    03-23-13 @ 02:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,265

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot 88 View Post
    Since many believe there is no right to secession, does that mean you would not support secession regardless of what the federal government did?
    That’s a tough question, while I can see just some of the many problems that would arise from such a thing, I keep looking at how divided this country has become, there seems to be less and less middle left and middle right.
    We seem to have already become of nation of liberal values VS conservative values. Almost everyone I come in contact with has a we against them mentality. As our nation becomes more and more divided, so does our government, and I understand that, after all they represent those that elected them. As our government becomes more and more polarized gridlock between the parties becomes worse and worse.

    I see at this time secession, peacefully done, as about the only viable option. We aren’t at war yet, so I don’t see why they couldn’t sit down at a table and work out details allowing such a thing to take place. People and business could be given 5 years (pick your period of time) to move to states that fit their thinking in values. With no penalty after that it would be like moving to any other country.

    From the way this country is going, the divide getting wider, tempers becoming shorter and little hope of anyone or anything closing that gap between the parties I guess I would support secession, before I would support another civil war in this country.

    Contrary to one poster in here, it has nothing to do with race, it has everything to do with the beliefs of people on both sides. What our Constitution means and implies, what our government should be and do, and at times even the very basic concept of what is right and wrong. That list could just go on and on. We have become a nation that is divided by our beliefs. In my opinion it would be better to peacefully divide ourselves then it would be to get into another civil war over our beliefs.
    Last edited by The Barbarian; 11-16-12 at 10:06 PM.

  10. #90
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,039

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    Nationalist-speak usually does not go along with reason.
    Thank you for your opinion though it did not do a damn thing.


    If a state seceded it becomes a separate nation (although the dictator may not recognize its sovereignty). The South became a separate nation during the Civil War despite the North's refusal to recognize it as separate.
    The South tried to become of a separate nation but in the end failed. And since you are asserting the creation of a new nation on the land of the old nation. Then you should not deny that secession is a provocative move. Its like walking on to someone elses land and squatting demanding that they give it to them.

    But that is if there was no reason stated. In the case of the South they stated the reason but that reason was rejected with good reason. We simply could not tolerate a slave nation that took our land from us to exist.



    So since we disagree about secession you assume that I don't know Americans very well?

    And btw, I majored in History so I know enough to talk about it.
    I dont care what cracker jack box that you got your education out of. My point was that Americans do not want this country to balkinize and will not stand for it especially from small factions. Take a look around there is not a popular support for any State to secede the Union. This is really a non-issue drummed up by radicals that have realized that they could never get the support of the entire nation. So they figure then that it would be easier to just get a portion of American land for their endeavors. But they are not smart enough to realize that they couldnt even convince a county to secede.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •