View Poll Results: Could secession ever be appropriate?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Secession could possibly be acceptable

    69 70.41%
  • Secession is never acceptable

    29 29.59%
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 162

Thread: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Thanx for your strawman response. BTW I made it clear that it would not be the Government vs the people of said state, I said that it would be the people vs the corrupt faction that took over said state. If such a thing happened in my state I would happily welcome the US Governments help in destroying the faction that thought that they could take over this state.
    So if the people voted for it and lets say some seventy percent(extremely high I know) voted for secession the proper response would be to support going to war with seventy percent of the people in the state. You honestly don't see anything off about your argument at all do you?

    Btw, we are not talking about corruption or some sort of small movement of people taking over the state, but secession in general which could easily be voted on by the people and/or the government.

  2. #72
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,916

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Really then why didnt you seem to address that?
    Because it wasn't necessary. You said secession was treason without any caveats.

    Bingo!
    Thanks for the historical revisionism but no, it was still Germany.



    Lol what makes you think that one state would fight against a dictatorship independently as if they were a separate nation?
    It has happened throughout history. Granted, the more powerful nation usually wins, but if a group of people believe enough in a cause they will fight for it despite poor odds.

    Do you even live in America?
    Yes, but that isn't relevant.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  3. #73
    Professor
    Bigfoot 88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    12-01-15 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,027
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by dyanaprajna2011 View Post
    Because the whole reason why they're seceding is that the rest of the US won't agree with them, think like them, act like them, believe like them. They want everyone to be the exact same. They don't support freedom of speech, religion, or everyone's right to disagree with each other.
    Government forces views on people though, so that can't be called freedom.
    "I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money." -Thomas Sowell

  4. #74
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by PirateMk1 View Post
    I will tell you my point. When they harm my family or me. And not before then. At that point there is NO alternative. Then its all out, balls out, hardcore no quarter expected, no quarter granted, kill em all and dont worry if god sorts em out or not. I sincerly hope it NEVER gets to that point.
    There are moral principles over which I would make war against my own people. Maybe if there were another government on Earth that I could stand to live under, but I haven't found one yet and I've been looking for years. If the government of the United States is no longer morally acceptable, then there is no place left on Earth for me-- and I will be damned before I lie down and die quietly while the world succumbs to tyranny.

  5. #75
    Student dyanaprajna2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-14-15 @ 02:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    241

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfoot 88 View Post
    Government forces views on people though, so that can't be called freedom.
    I'm curious: why do you think the government forces views on people?
    "To do good, to avoid evil, and to purify the mind, this is the teaching of all Buddhas." -the Buddha, from the Dhammapada

  6. #76
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by dyanaprajna2011 View Post
    I'm curious: why do you think the government forces views on people?
    Because that's what government is for: to force people to live and behave in certain fashion, ideally for the benefit of all.

  7. #77
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,555

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Texas would sink like a rock if it seceded. Why? Ever read the State of Texas Budget, which will clearly show how much Texas depends on Federal dollars to make ends meet.

    Texas government doesn't pay for most of the various education institutions to any great extent, the Federal Government does.

    The State of Texas highway infrastructure would turn to dusty wagon trails if it weren't for Federal money.

    What about a genuine, full blown, military to protect the "Republic of Texas"? The National Guard...whether it be Army or Air Force...are currently paid mostly by Federal dollars. Being a coastal state...Texas would have to have it's own Navy to secure it's coastal border. That aint cheap, brothers and sisters.

    Texas would have to have its on Immigration Service, which is currently for paid with mostly Federal money.

    Texas would have serious problems managing health care related issues for JUST CHILDREN and ELDERLY people - both which happen to be the largest political minorities in the nation.

    Want 10s of thousands of kids packing around in the streets like in major countries in South America? Texas would be goggled down with trying to hire law enforcement to try and manage 100s of kid gangs who wreak havoc on business and residents...stealing everything thing they get their hands on. Believe that can't happen in Texas? It would because the cost of managing so many thousands of kids in the CPS system would be all but nonexistent.

    I could go on for days pointing out ALL OF THE FEDERAL MONIES THAT TEXAS TAKES that PERRY WON'T TELL YOU ABOUT. Texans would face many, many financial issues if Texas did secede.

    People need to understand the accounting aspect of running a town, city, state, or country before they blast off the emotional side of being discontent with the downfalls of our Federal government. We ALL allowed the mess our nation is in...so now we will pay the piper.

    OH...think Texas could survive on selling its oil? Sure it could UNTIL a compound or mud pump breaks down, which can only come from a source in "another country" who would be happy to rape Texas Drilling Contractors and Oil Companies.

    Speaking of oil companies. Who owns rights to the oil in Texas? You think Texans do? Yep, Texas would have to nationalize it's oil production. Then the fun begins.

  8. #78
    Student dyanaprajna2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-14-15 @ 02:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    241

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Gehrig View Post
    Because that's what government is for: to force people to live and behave in certain fashion, ideally for the benefit of all.
    Behaving in certain ways is different than forcing views on people. There has to be laws to set the boundaries of how we should act in society. Forcing views on people is completely different.
    "To do good, to avoid evil, and to purify the mind, this is the teaching of all Buddhas." -the Buddha, from the Dhammapada

  9. #79
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by dyanaprajna2011 View Post
    Behaving in certain ways is different than forcing views on people. There has to be laws to set the boundaries of how we should act in society. Forcing views on people is completely different.
    If your views are incompatible with government's boundaries, your choices are either insurrection or hypocrisy. How is that not forcing their views upon you?

  10. #80
    Student dyanaprajna2011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-14-15 @ 02:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    241

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Gehrig View Post
    If your views are incompatible with government's boundaries, your choices are either insurrection or hypocrisy. How is that not forcing their views upon you?
    Because they're not forcing me to accept a particular political, philosophical, or religious view.
    "To do good, to avoid evil, and to purify the mind, this is the teaching of all Buddhas." -the Buddha, from the Dhammapada

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •