View Poll Results: Could secession ever be appropriate?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Secession could possibly be acceptable

    69 70.41%
  • Secession is never acceptable

    29 29.59%
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 162

Thread: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

  1. #21
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-12 @ 04:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    498

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Are you under the mistaken impression that the European Union is a single country? This thread is about dissolution of the United States, a single nation that has been that way for more than two centuries. The implications of splitting up the US are far greater than a country leaving the EU.
    Because you say so?


  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    01-30-13 @ 07:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,036

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by DashingAmerican View Post
    See, this is where I start disagreeing with most people. In my opinion people who are willing to secede no longer recognize the SCOTUS or the unconstitutional nature of seceding. Why would they listen to the laws of a government they no longer recognize?
    Then there would be government forces at the doors of the seccessionist leaders.

    Not a civil war, but a number of SWAT team actions until order was restored.

  3. #23
    Civil Libertarian
    DashingAmerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    08-31-17 @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,357

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by marsden View Post
    Then there would be government forces at the doors of the seccessionist leaders.

    Not a civil war, but a number of SWAT team actions until order was restored.
    Which could possibly breed more dissent.
    If you strike me down, I'll become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

  4. #24
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,889

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    I don't see a possible scenario where secession won't lead to war. Our nation is interdependent and connected, and if part of that whole were to suddenly disappear from the greater machine, it will create economic disaster. We will either fight to keep ourselves one nation, or fight over the resources that are suddenly held by a neighboring nation that is, by its very design, hostile to our interests. If you want to destroy this country, embroiling it in a second civil war would be the quickest way to do it.
    You really think now-aday's people would actually authorize a war on one of our states? I think there would be an overwhelming disapproval of the general population to where it would be impossible.

  5. #25
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Succession would be like a divorce/custody case on steriods, with guns.

    Every state contains federal land, most contain federal military bases, missle silos, armories, public infrastructure like roads, bridges, ports subsidized and/or fully paid for by government funds. The power grid of every state in the lower 48 are interconnected, with electricity being bought/sold throughout the nation on a minute-by-minute basis. Same with economic factions, banks, Wall Street, financial intermingling of corporate, private and pension funds.

    If it happens, it isn't going to be peaceful and when push comes to shove, I seriously doubt it will happen without civil war.

  6. #26
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,690

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Pretty much I would appose it, yeah.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    01-16-14 @ 05:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,431

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    I cannot think of any reasons why it would be ok to secede, but guess if it was REALLY needed then MAYBE. I think the idea that states are trying to leave the union is humorous. It is safe to say that I have not been thrilled with every president that has won the white house, and I have wanted the losers to win before, but i have never had the idea to leave the union, I am guessing that most of this stems from racism.
    States aren't seceding, the perenially disgruntled are engaging in performance art.

  8. #28
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Succession would be like a divorce/custody case on steriods, with guns.

    Every state contains federal land, most contain federal military bases, missle silos, armories, public infrastructure like roads, bridges, ports subsidized and/or fully paid for by government funds. The power grid of every state in the lower 48 are interconnected, with electricity being bought/sold throughout the nation on a minute-by-minute basis. Same with economic factions, banks, Wall Street, financial intermingling of corporate, private and pension funds.

    If it happens, it isn't going to be peaceful and when push comes to shove, I seriously doubt it will happen without civil war.
    Your reasoning here is the very point I don't even discuss the subject, ain't happening without troops in the streets.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by dyanaprajna2011 View Post
    Secession is never a good idea. The last time I checked, this was the 'United' States of America. Those who think secession is a viable option, in my opinion, don't really believe that we are united. It shows that the country is not, at heart, in their interests. It shows that they don't really think we are a people united. It shows that they don't believe in freedom, and especially individualism, which is something that I thought was supposed to be a hallmark of Republican ideas. Which also shows the futility and uselessness of their ideas.
    First off, you're a liberal and you don't believe in freedom or individualism, so drop it. Second, people that support secession support it because they want freedom and individualism to return. Lastly, if a country is not supporting your freedom they are not worth standing and need destroyed.

  10. #30
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-24-13 @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    First off, you're a liberal and you don't believe in freedom or individualism, so drop it. Second, people that support secession support it because they want freedom and individualism to return. Lastly, if a country is not supporting your freedom they are not worth standing and need destroyed.

    That is why Rick Perry is leading the charge for Texas to secede.

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •