View Poll Results: Could secession ever be appropriate?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Secession could possibly be acceptable

    69 70.41%
  • Secession is never acceptable

    29 29.59%
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 162

Thread: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

  1. #11
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Succession is treason. The U.S. derives is worlds status solely because it is the largest nation with advanced technology and infrastructure. The successionist argument is inherently hypocritical, as they whine about the tyranny of the majority yet use the same argument to impose their will on those in the state who wish to remain in the union.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    01-16-14 @ 05:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,431

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Just for Texas.

  3. #13
    Demented Lycanthropist
    wolfman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East Waboo USA
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Donahue View Post
    It doesn't really work like that though.

    You're treating it like an amicable divorce but a secession is when one area decides it doesn't want to be part of the whole anymore.
    Your missing the point. What about the people in one area that want to be part of the other. They have lives. It would hardly be amicable. It is much more complicated than the howlers think.

    This is not a linear subject. We draw a line in the sand and puff it happens. It doesn't ever work out to be that simple.
    "Those who do not learn from history and condemned to relive it".

    "There are those who will debate the necessity of wilderness, I will not, either you know it in your bones or you are very very old". Aldo Leopold - Sand County Almanac

  4. #14
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-12 @ 04:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    498

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman24 View Post
    Your missing the point. What about the people in one area that want to be part of the other. They have lives. It would hardly be amicable. It is much more complicated than the howlers think.

    This is not a linear subject. We draw a line in the sand and puff it happens. It doesn't ever work out to be that simple.
    You're treating a secession like two people dividing up possessions in a divorce.

    It didn't work that way in the Civil War and it wouldn't work that way now.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    It would be easier (and a lot less bloody) than civil war, so yeah, I'd definitely support secession.

  6. #16
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,916

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by dyanaprajna2011 View Post
    Secession is never a good idea.
    It wasn't a good idea for the American colonists? It wasn't a good idea for Texas?

    The last time I checked, this was the 'United' States of America. Those who think secession is a viable option, in my opinion, don't really believe that we are united.
    Do you believe divorce is ever a viable option?

    It shows that the country is not, at heart, in their interests. It shows that they don't really think we are a people united. It shows that they don't believe in freedom, and especially individualism, which is something that I thought was supposed to be a hallmark of Republican ideas. Which also shows the futility and uselessness of their ideas.
    Wait, believing in the right of secession goes against individualism and freedom? So I assume Thomas Paine was against those ideals since he pushed for secession?
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  7. #17
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,916

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    People, the word is secession, not succession.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  8. #18
    Demented Lycanthropist
    wolfman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East Waboo USA
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Donahue View Post
    You're treating a secession like two people dividing up possessions in a divorce.

    It didn't work that way in the Civil War and it wouldn't work that way now.
    Ok if you say so.
    "Those who do not learn from history and condemned to relive it".

    "There are those who will debate the necessity of wilderness, I will not, either you know it in your bones or you are very very old". Aldo Leopold - Sand County Almanac

  9. #19
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    Quote Originally Posted by Donahue View Post
    I disagree.

    Greenland seceded from the EU amicably and the UK constantly seems on the verge of pulling out too without any talk of war. War would really benefit no one if a secession occurred.
    Are you under the mistaken impression that the European Union is a single country? This thread is about dissolution of the United States, a single nation that has been that way for more than two centuries. The implications of splitting up the US are far greater than a country leaving the EU.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  10. #20
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Would you oppose secession for ANY reason?

    I cannot think of any reasons why it would be ok to secede, but guess if it was REALLY needed then MAYBE. I think the idea that states are trying to leave the union is humorous. It is safe to say that I have not been thrilled with every president that has won the white house, and I have wanted the losers to win before, but i have never had the idea to leave the union, I am guessing that most of this stems from racism.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •