View Poll Results: Should we develop such a described program to build infrastructure in poor countries?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it would put many people to work

    1 5.00%
  • Yes, we should help countries in need

    0 0%
  • Yes, it will bring the world long-term prosperity

    0 0%
  • Yes, other/general

    0 0%
  • Sounds nice, but I don't know...

    1 5.00%
  • No, we don't have a moral imperative to help other countries

    6 30.00%
  • No, that's socialist

    0 0%
  • No, for economic reasons

    4 20.00%
  • No, for practical reasons

    2 10.00%
  • No, other/general

    6 30.00%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 52

Thread: Can we build it? Yes we can!

  1. #1
    Professor
    gavinfielder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    Last Seen
    07-22-16 @ 04:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,748

    Can we build it? Yes we can!

    In another discussion the idea was brought up of building infrastructure in poor, undeveloped countries.

    How much do we like this idea?

    First of all, let's set the parameters of a hypothetical program.
    1. The materials for all construction projects, when possible, MUST be provided by private companies of the program's home country. This ensures that the money spent on resources for the program will be put back into the home country's economy, and it also ensures that the project won't consume all of the foreign nation's limited resources.
    2. Adequate food must be provided by the home country, preferably also by private companies--at the sites, of course, trading, buying, or selling food with locals would be fine.
    3. The program must only employ citizens of the home country, and for each a limited amount of time.
    4. The form and method of payment of workers is up for discussion--that's a complex issue.


    Before you respond, please make sure you understand this. Arguing about government spending is completely inane because the government prints money (at least, the US government does, and most here are in the US)--now, this proposal is a much more economically complex idea because it potentially involves somehow controlling inflation in two different economies at once. That's what we need to be thinking about.

    And also, of course, its effects on our economy, the foreign nation's economy, how many people it would employ, and whether or not it's simply a good thing to do. Costs and benefits.
    Last edited by gavinfielder; 11-11-12 at 06:22 AM.
    "Advocates of capitalism are apt to appeal to the sacred principles of liberty, which are embodied in one maxim: the fortunate must not be restrained in the exercise of tyranny over the unfortunate." - Bertrand Russell

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tampa
    Last Seen
    09-24-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Can we build it? Yes we can!

    lets fix america first please. we have problems incase no one noticed. time to stop the foreign aid.

  3. #3
    Professor
    gavinfielder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    Last Seen
    07-22-16 @ 04:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,748

    Re: Can we build it? Yes we can!

    Quote Originally Posted by roflpublican View Post
    lets fix america first please. we have problems incase no one noticed. time to stop the foreign aid.
    I should have seen that argument coming quick. This was originally from a discussion on, essentially, how to employ low-skill labor in a high-skill economy.

    A lot of America's problems lie in unemployment, which this is a viable way to fix. There is that consideration.

    And, the conservatives would be happy to leave our own infrastructure to private companies, and since we're so developed, that could be an option. It's definitely not an option for poorer countries.
    "Advocates of capitalism are apt to appeal to the sacred principles of liberty, which are embodied in one maxim: the fortunate must not be restrained in the exercise of tyranny over the unfortunate." - Bertrand Russell

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tampa
    Last Seen
    09-24-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Can we build it? Yes we can!

    Quote Originally Posted by gavinfielder View Post
    I should have seen that argument coming quick. This was originally from a discussion on, essentially, how to employ low-skill labor in a high-skill economy.

    A lot of America's problems lie in unemployment, which this is a viable way to fix. There is that consideration.

    And, the conservatives would be happy to leave our own infrastructure to private companies, and since we're so developed, that could be an option. It's definitely not an option for poorer countries.
    not for me man. we've given aid out the butt for decades. it's time to let china/russia/india/brazil these new super economies take the lead on developing. we can spend the ~50,000,000,000 a year we usually spend on foreign aid on a public works/infrastructure program, in america.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_...Administration
    ^a model.

  5. #5
    Professor
    gavinfielder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    Last Seen
    07-22-16 @ 04:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,748

    Re: Can we build it? Yes we can!

    Quote Originally Posted by roflpublican View Post
    not for me man. we've given aid out the butt for decades. it's time to let china/russia/india/brazil these new super economies take the lead on developing. we can spend the ~50,000,000,000 a year we usually spend on foreign aid on a public works/infrastructure program, in america.

    Public Works Administration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ^a model.
    Indeed. The PWA was amazing.

    The problem with doing it here, though, is that it's socialist. :P They said it then too, they'd say it again. You're going to get a lot of arguments against it simply for the fact that here at home, private companies can be doing all that work.
    "Advocates of capitalism are apt to appeal to the sacred principles of liberty, which are embodied in one maxim: the fortunate must not be restrained in the exercise of tyranny over the unfortunate." - Bertrand Russell

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tampa
    Last Seen
    09-24-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Can we build it? Yes we can!

    Quote Originally Posted by gavinfielder View Post
    Indeed. The PWA was amazing.

    The problem with doing it here, though, is that it's socialist. :P They said it then too, they'd say it again. You're going to get a lot of arguments against it simply for the fact that private companies can be doing all that work.
    fine they need to do it. now. if not then get out of the way and the government will. we need investment now. whether it's taxes or private industry paying for it. doesnt really matter. investment here in america.

  7. #7
    Professor
    gavinfielder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    Last Seen
    07-22-16 @ 04:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    1,748

    Re: Can we build it? Yes we can!

    Quote Originally Posted by roflpublican View Post
    fine they need to do it. now. if not then get out of the way and the government will. we need investment now. whether it's taxes or private industry paying for it. doesnt really matter. investment here in america.
    I agree 100%. If investment at home can happen, it should be happening now.
    "Advocates of capitalism are apt to appeal to the sacred principles of liberty, which are embodied in one maxim: the fortunate must not be restrained in the exercise of tyranny over the unfortunate." - Bertrand Russell

  8. #8
    Demented Lycanthropist
    wolfman24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    East Waboo USA
    Last Seen
    02-14-17 @ 01:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Can we build it? Yes we can!

    Quote Originally Posted by roflpublican View Post
    lets fix america first please. we have problems incase no one noticed. time to stop the foreign aid.
    Like he said.
    "Those who do not learn from history and condemned to relive it".

    "There are those who will debate the necessity of wilderness, I will not, either you know it in your bones or you are very very old". Aldo Leopold - Sand County Almanac

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tampa
    Last Seen
    09-24-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Can we build it? Yes we can!

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfman24 View Post
    Like he said.
    who said what how?

    this is 'merica


  10. #10
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: Can we build it? Yes we can!

    I don't think it's really "aid" in most cases. I think it's loan sharking on a international governmental scale. We won't "help" anyone who doesn't have a resource we covet.

    Confessions of an Economic Hit Man: John Perkins

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •