View Poll Results: What age?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • 11 - 12

    6 12.77%
  • 13 - 14

    10 21.28%
  • 15 - 16

    6 12.77%
  • 17 - 18

    1 2.13%
  • Other

    3 6.38%
  • Oh, hell no!

    21 44.68%
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 204

Thread: Kids n' Kondoms

  1. #111
    Educator / Liar Champion ab9924's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sharing time between UK and US.
    Last Seen
    11-19-12 @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    904

    Re: Kids n' Kondoms

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    You know - it's not like that all over the world . . . our society encourages it.
    You are ABSOLUTELY right. I am probably the only guy in the western world who doesn't care much about sex, but when I tried to go a while without a GF, I felt absolutely stupid for it, and I was unable to complete my mission. So I think that society forces me to engage in sex, because half of a consumer economy is based on sales of products to relationships, such as the commercialization of all religious holidays and even birthdays. In non-consumer societies, for example in production-based China, nobody dates until college or later, or for example in commodity-based Australia, their society leaves men happily alone to follow the lead of women with all initiations expected from her, or for example South Asia and Africa, where all your relationships are strongly encouraged to be with the person(s!) that your parents bring to you as part of the job of parenting (same as in old time Europe).

  2. #112
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    01-03-13 @ 01:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    294

    Re: Kids n' Kondoms

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    All high school students should have access to free condoms from the school, so 15-16 when they are entering high school.
    In an ideal world I agree. I just have a problem with people who are against high school kids having sex paying for their condoms. Why can't there just be charities set up for collecting donations to give students free access to condoms?

  3. #113
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,038

    Re: Kids n' Kondoms

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
    In an ideal world I agree. I just have a problem with people who are against high school kids having sex paying for their condoms. Why can't there just be charities set up for collecting donations to give students free access to condoms?
    I don't have a problem providing free condoms at all. Decreasing the number of students who become pregnant or contract std's benefits the students, their families, the community and the nation as a whole as it contributes to a more educated workforce. Personal feelings on sex shouldn't be a determining factor.

  4. #114
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,174

    Re: Kids n' Kondoms

    I understand the benefits of condom use for younger people. On the other hand, I don't think it should be free.

    I wouldn't have a problem with making them available at a reduced price, though.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  5. #115
    Sayonara!
    Maenad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    By the water.
    Last Seen
    07-09-14 @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,259

    Re: Kids n' Kondoms

    Quote Originally Posted by Jredbaron96 View Post
    Uh, schools? Why not your local hospital?
    I would think the local health department more appropriate. Or Planned Parenthood. Hospitals have all they can do now. But, IMO, anyone who is having sex with multiple partners should be able to get protection. It is a public health issue.
    Redneck, hillbilly, fundie, Bible thumper, cracker, split tails, geezer, loon, xenophobe, islamaphobe, and homophobe are not words of tolerance.

  6. #116
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    01-03-13 @ 01:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    294

    Re: Kids n' Kondoms

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    I don't have a problem providing free condoms at all. Decreasing the number of students who become pregnant or contract std's benefits the students, their families, the community and the nation as a whole as it contributes to a more educated workforce. Personal feelings on sex shouldn't be a determining factor.
    I disagree. If you want to provide the students with free condoms, feel free, but not everybody feels the same way. I'm just not into forcing people to give money to things they are against.

  7. #117
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,038

    Re: Kids n' Kondoms

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
    I disagree. If you want to provide the students with free condoms, feel free, but not everybody feels the same way. I'm just not into forcing people to give money to things they are against.
    That's why you have to look at the direct benefits of a program rather than whether you personally agree with a thing or not: if we only had the school programs everyone agreed with on a personal level, there wouldn't be any school programs. In fact, ask enough people and you'll find someone who disagrees with the teaching of reading, writing and arithmetic. And the direct benefits of the free handing out of condoms outweighs the long term harm from increased risk of teen pregnancy and std's.
    Last edited by Cardinal; 11-11-12 at 03:04 PM.

  8. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    01-03-13 @ 01:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    294

    Re: Kids n' Kondoms

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    That's why you have to look at the direct benefits of a program rather than whether you personally agree with a thing or not: if we only had the school programs everyone agreed with on a personal level, there wouldn't be any school programs. In fact, ask enough people and you'll find someone who disagrees with the teaching of reading, writing and arithmetic. And the direct benefits of the free handing out of condoms outweighs the long term harm from increased risk of teen pregnancy and std's.
    Everybody doesn't need to agree with it for it to be there. Just because some people opt out of paying for condoms doesn't mean that the program ceases to exist, but the people who are paying for it all agree and are happy that believe they are benefiting students. Plus, most school programs are less controversial than handing out condoms. I'm pretty sure you won't find many people who disagree with learning how to read.

    The program would still be there, it would just be funded by people who want it funded.

  9. #119
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,038

    Re: Kids n' Kondoms

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
    Everybody doesn't need to agree with it for it to be there. Just because some people opt out of paying for condoms doesn't mean that the program ceases to exist, but the people who are paying for it all agree and are happy that believe they are benefiting students. Plus, most school programs are less controversial than handing out condoms. I'm pretty sure you won't find many people who disagree with learning how to read.

    The program would still be there, it would just be funded by people who want it funded.
    Relying on charity would not result in a more effective program to reduce teen pregnancy and stds. Instead you'd be left right where you started: the parents who give a damn do, and the parents that don't, don't. Of course, this would be a problem for those who believe that reducing overall teen pregnancy and std's is a solution that should be worked toward based on the various studies on the effectiveness of sex ed programs vs. abstinence programs. If your opinion is influenced in any way by a general discomfort about sex stemming from morality, your opinion will of course be different.

  10. #120
    Sayonara!
    Maenad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    By the water.
    Last Seen
    07-09-14 @ 10:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,259

    Re: Kids n' Kondoms

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
    I disagree. If you want to provide the students with free condoms, feel free, but not everybody feels the same way. I'm just not into forcing people to give money to things they are against.
    I take it you favor the spread of herpes, HPV, gonorrhea, syphilis, chlamydia, bacterial vaginitis, and AIDS. To each his own. I do not favor the spread of those things.
    Redneck, hillbilly, fundie, Bible thumper, cracker, split tails, geezer, loon, xenophobe, islamaphobe, and homophobe are not words of tolerance.

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •