View Poll Results: What should be the annual cap?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • $100K or less

    1 1.79%
  • $200K

    1 1.79%
  • $500K

    1 1.79%
  • $1M

    4 7.14%
  • That's none of our business.

    49 87.50%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 98

Thread: Corporate Earnings

  1. #11
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Corporate Earnings

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    What's the maximum salary America's business executives should be allowed to receive?
    Wrong question. No one I know seriously suggests a cap. Most just recognize that it isn't good for the country to see executive pay so outdistancing worker pay. Just something most know instinctively to be wrong.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #12
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Corporate Earnings

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Balls View Post
    Hearing this reminds of corporate fraud like Enron, Tyco, Nortel, and WorldCom/MCI, just to name a few. But we shouldn't take that into consideration since it's ok for them to make all the money they want.
    It's not society's business to determine transaction limits between consumers. Enron wasn't a pay issue, it was a fraudulent accounting one, the misrepresented liabilities as assets which is a huge SEC no-no. Sure there is fraud, and frankly if a CEO knowingly allows it to happen they should be held liable in civil and criminal court, no caps on liens or lawsuits. That said the company can pay their employees whatever they want, it should remain so.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  3. #13
    Resident Cat Expert
    Green Balls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Last Seen
    11-13-15 @ 08:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,292

    Re: Corporate Earnings

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    It's not society's business to determine transaction limits between consumers. Enron wasn't a pay issue, it was a fraudulent accounting one, the misrepresented liabilities as assets which is a huge SEC no-no. Sure there is fraud, and frankly if a CEO knowingly allows it to happen they should be held liable in civil and criminal court, no caps on liens or lawsuits. That said the company can pay their employees whatever they want, it should remain so.
    I still disagree. They should do away with golden parachutes and cap their pay. The people doing the real work that makes the company money should get paid a lot more. You'll never convince me that an executive should make the amount of money they are making. Maybe if they started breaking a sweat doing the hard work. You can put any monkey in a suit in an executive office and the company will still run itself.
    Scientific fact: If you took all of the veins from your body and laid them end to end, you would die.

  4. #14
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Corporate Earnings

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Balls View Post
    I still disagree. They should do away with golden parachutes and cap their pay. The people doing the real work that makes the company money should get paid a lot more. You'll never convince me that an executive should make the amount of money they are making. Maybe if they started breaking a sweat doing the hard work. You can put any monkey in a suit in an executive office and the company will still run itself.
    The people "doing the real work" signed their contracts, if they don't like it they can leave. CEOs are valuated at contract time, while I would love to see severence packages ended I don't care about the rest of their salaries, and it is wrong to try to force companies to structure how they pay their employees based on caps. It's no one else's business, and the "people doing the real work" may not have the skill sets to earn more, if they do they can restructure or leave, but bitching about their pay falls on my deaf ears.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #15
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Corporate Earnings

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    What's the maximum salary America's business executives should be allowed to receive?
    Where the hell do you get off thinking it's any of your damn business?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #16
    Resident Cat Expert
    Green Balls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Last Seen
    11-13-15 @ 08:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,292

    Re: Corporate Earnings

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    The people "doing the real work" signed their contracts, if they don't like it they can leave. CEOs are valuated at contract time, while I would love to see severence packages ended I don't care about the rest of their salaries, and it is wrong to try to force companies to structure how they pay their employees based on caps. It's no one else's business, and the "people doing the real work" may not have the skill sets to earn more, if they do they can restructure or leave, but bitching about their pay falls on my deaf ears.
    So it's ok to cap salaries on the workers who do the real work, but CEO's can make an endless amount. That is what is currently happening in the corporate structure.
    Scientific fact: If you took all of the veins from your body and laid them end to end, you would die.

  7. #17
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Corporate Earnings

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Balls View Post
    So it's ok to cap salaries on the workers who do the real work, but CEO's can make an endless amount. That is what is currently happening in the corporate structure.
    *sigh* What cap on employees are you talking about? You mean their agreed upon pay for their skill sets and position? That's called employee valuation, see, they have a value like anything else in an economy. If 10 people can do a particular job it has a higher value than if 100 can do it, if you go to 1,000 your value goes even lower. Once we get to the point where I can literally grab a person out of a crowd and say "hey you, I need a warm body to do ______________" the value is minimal at best.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: Corporate Earnings

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Where the hell do you get off thinking it's any of your damn business?
    I'm echoing liberal arrogance, Cephus. I once heard a liberal loon state that $500K was plenty. Take your anger, elsewhere.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Corporate Earnings

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    I'm echoing liberal arrogance, Cephus. I once heard a liberal loon state that $500K was plenty. Take your anger, elsewhere.
    You should stop echoing something absurd like that, lest people start thinking that's really your position. And $500k is far too high for most of the liberal loons, they'd much rather see CEOs making no more than their janitors.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  10. #20
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Corporate Earnings

    Quote Originally Posted by Green Balls View Post
    So it's ok to cap salaries on the workers who do the real work, but CEO's can make an endless amount. That is what is currently happening in the corporate structure.
    You don't understand supply and demand. There are lots of people who can be janitors, thus their financial worth is much lower. There are very few who can be CEOs and thus they can command a much higher rate. The company, it's board of trustees and it's shareholders, decide what is a worthwhile salary for everyone who works for them, from janitor to CEO. Where do you get off thinking you get to dictate the rates for a company you don't even own stock in?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •