View Poll Results: What changes should be done to our immigration policy

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave it as it is-some quotas based on countries of origin

    5 11.11%
  • do not change the laws but enforce them better

    10 22.22%
  • Restrict immigration to those with needed skills

    15 33.33%
  • restrict immigration to those able to provide for themselves

    11 24.44%
  • Have a complete moratorium on immigration for a period of years

    6 13.33%
  • Other

    17 37.78%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 143

Thread: Immigration reform

  1. #91
    Educator / Liar Champion ab9924's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sharing time between UK and US.
    Last Seen
    11-19-12 @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    904

    Re: Immigration reform

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    That untrue. The reality is America has the most lax border control and immigration law of most of the world's countries. Try to break into Mexico and see how they deal with you. Or New Zealand, or the UK.
    We HAVE to make a distinction between legal and illegal immigration. I thought this thread was about LEGAL immigration.

  2. #92
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Immigration reform

    Quote Originally Posted by ab9924 View Post
    We HAVE to make a distinction between legal and illegal immigration. I thought this thread was about LEGAL immigration.
    No, the thread was about immigration reform, which includes a discussion of how that will deal with illegals. I agree the distinction should be preserved, but the amnesty forces have been busy destroying that language.

    But speaking stictly about legal immigration, the same comment applies. Our policies and laws are no more restrictive than the majority of the world's countries. In many cases less so. Try to immigrate to New Zealand or Australia.

  3. #93
    Educator / Liar Champion ab9924's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sharing time between UK and US.
    Last Seen
    11-19-12 @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    904

    Re: Immigration reform

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No, the thread was about immigration reform, which includes a discussion of how that will deal with illegals. I agree the distinction should be preserved, but the amnesty forces have been busy destroying that language.

    But speaking stictly about legal immigration, the same comment applies. Our policies and laws are no more restrictive than the majority of the world's countries. In many cases less so. Try to immigrate to New Zealand or Australia.
    Immigration to Australia is easier than immigration to the USA. Plus, Australia runs on a commodity trade based economy that is one of the very few left in the "developed" world that can still generate jobs. And they don't even need to be that highly skilled. I don't know much about New Zealand, but I heard that New Zealand was the country that gave a new home to all those white farmers who were chased out of Zimbabwe, in very large numbers.

    So your assumptions are not likely to be real.

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Immigration reform

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    IT is now well known that hispanic immigrants who came here legally or illegally and then gained citizenship were a major reason for Obama winning Florida, Virginia Colorado and perhaps some other states. Several discussions I heard today noted that the welfare promises of the DNC rather than amnesty were the main reason why more than 2/3s of these hispanic immigrants voted for Obama. 75% of them are not well educated or have a skilled trade.

    Based on those assumptions, what should be done with our immigration policies
    Devastating consequences for businesses which use illegal immigrant labor.

    The rest will take care of itself.

  5. #95
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Immigration reform

    Quote Originally Posted by ab9924 View Post
    Immigration to Australia is easier than immigration to the USA. Plus, Australia runs on a commodity trade based economy that is one of the very few left in the "developed" world that can still generate jobs. And they don't even need to be that highly skilled. I don't know much about New Zealand, but I heard that New Zealand was the country that gave a new home to all those white farmers who were chased out of Zimbabwe, in very large numbers.

    So your assumptions are not likely to be real.
    Their (Australia) site is very short on details. I named those two countries because I have seen the difficulties folks have in immigrating there. For Australia my experience goes back to the 70s when my best friend's father was being "invited" to be a citizen by his wartime friends (he had been a POW held by the Germans). Their state department even sent over a couple folks with films about it and to help with all the forms. I got to sit in on the briefs.

    Eventually he declined the offer because they were not allowing black folks to immigrate at that time and his family and mine were heavy into our own country's civil rights struggle. Since then I have had several friends over the years try to immigrate there. Not a single one of them was accepted. They've all described the process as byzantine and "insane".

    As for New Zealand, one of my favorite programs is Border Wars. It's a NZ weekly program serializing immigration and customs control. Not once has anyone on this reality show described immigration as easy, or anything other than life consuming. In fact, several episodes folks have compared entry to the US specifically, saying as much as the US puts you through, NZ is ten times worse.

    Anecdotal I admit, but that's why I chose those two examples.

    Now, show me specifics. What is it about US immigration law you find so anomalous with the rest of the world?

  6. #96
    Educator / Liar Champion ab9924's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Sharing time between UK and US.
    Last Seen
    11-19-12 @ 10:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    904

    Re: Immigration reform

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Their (Australia) site is very short on details. I named those two countries because I have seen the difficulties folks have in immigrating there. For Australia my experience goes back to the 70s when my best friend's father was being "invited" to be a citizen by his wartime friends (he had been a POW held by the Germans). Their state department even sent over a couple folks with films about it and to help with all the forms. I got to sit in on the briefs.

    Eventually he declined the offer because they were not allowing black folks to immigrate at that time and his family and mine were heavy into our own country's civil rights struggle. Since then I have had several friends over the years try to immigrate there. Not a single one of them was accepted. They've all described the process as byzantine and "insane".

    As for New Zealand, one of my favorite programs is Border Wars. It's a NZ weekly program serializing immigration and customs control. Not once has anyone on this reality show described immigration as easy, or anything other than life consuming. In fact, several episodes folks have compared entry to the US specifically, saying as much as the US puts you through, NZ is ten times worse.

    Anecdotal I admit, but that's why I chose those two examples.

    Now, show me specifics. What is it about US immigration law you find so anomalous with the rest of the world?
    Maybe I am a bitch, but what distinguishes the US immigration services from all others in the industrial word, is that the US immigration services ride the tails of American marketing. If they want to reduce the number of immigrants, then they should either stop marketing what they stand for or better still they should counter-market it. The US immigration services have good sides too, such as they are warm hearted(?), which is another thing unlike other countries, but the US immigration services are squeezed between a phony marketing and an extremely technical and highly inhumane process directive/legislation ... between a rock and a hard place. (I know them because I read a ton of their materials when they denied the application of my GF's family a while back, and she and I became quick lawyers, but no success.)

  7. #97
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,779

    Re: Immigration reform

    Quote Originally Posted by roflpublican View Post
    indeed, the days of the robber barons are gone, pay a living wage or you should NOT be able to operate a business in this country.
    you should pay a wage sufficient to obtain the quantity and quality of labor you need. what is a living wage? some artificial bit of crap that the left howls for that puts american companies at a competitive disadvantage

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tampa
    Last Seen
    09-24-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Immigration reform

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    you should pay a wage sufficient to obtain the quantity and quality of labor you need. what is a living wage? some artificial bit of crap that the left howls for that puts american companies at a competitive disadvantage
    our lack of effective tariffs on china are what put us at a competitive disadvantage. we can't compete with slave labor, even if we cut the minimum wage in half.

  9. #99
    Sage
    The Giant Noodle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Illinois
    Last Seen
    11-03-14 @ 05:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,333

    Re: Immigration reform

    Creat a panel of 1000 men and women.
    Rate each illegal on attractiveness on a scale of 0 to 100. Anyone that rates above 70% can stay in America and become a citizen.
    CORPORATE GREED AND UNION GREED
    DEMOCRATS AND REPUBLICANS
    DESTROYING THE BEST OF AMERICA ONE DAY AT A TIME

    This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against ME! ~ Bender

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tampa
    Last Seen
    09-24-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Immigration reform

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    Creat a panel of 1000 men and women.
    Rate each illegal on attractiveness on a scale of 0 to 100. Anyone that rates above 70% can stay in America and become a citizen.
    i'd prefer we test their intelligence/work ethic in some way too =/.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •