View Poll Results: Should we even care?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. We need more diversity in the U.S.

    10 31.25%
  • Yes. Their robust economy will be a fine addition

    8 25.00%
  • No. We don't need a problem child under our roof.

    3 9.38%
  • No. Diversity is a stupid reason to add a 51st State.

    5 15.63%
  • Other.

    6 18.75%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41

Thread: 51st State?

  1. #31
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 51st State?

    It seems to me that any US territory that chooses Statehood is a cause for celebration.

  2. #32
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    I don't care if Puerto Rico becomes the 51st state. Diversity is a ****en retarded reason to add a state.
    "Diversity" is a retarded reason to do anything. Diversity just means the people segregate themselves, instead of another entity doing it for them.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  3. #33
    pawn in the game of life
    pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 05:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,984

    Re: 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    Should we even care whether Puerto Rico says 'Yes' to Statehood?
    Personal opinion. The only reason Puerto Rico (or anyone else for that matter) should be considered for US statehood is if there is a clear and compelling benefit/reason to grant them statehood. And that benefit has to be to the US, not to the candidate being considered. Some of the answers on this thread are just a little silly.


    But believe the reality of the situation is this: If brought in, Puerto Rico would/be a bright blue state. 2 new Democrat Senators, 5-6 Democrat Representatives. If the Island votes "yes" that they now want to come in to the US we will hear a loud cry of support by the Democrats to welcome them. And we will hear loud resistance from the GOP to not support it.

    And neither party could give a flying fig about what is good for this country or for the Puerto Ricans. It will strictly be about party power....


    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

  4. #34
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    Μολὼν λαβέ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    09-29-17 @ 11:22 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,914

    Re: 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    Personal opinion. The only reason Puerto Rico (or anyone else for that matter) should be considered for US statehood is if there is a clear and compelling benefit/reason to grant them statehood. And that benefit has to be to the US, not to the candidate being considered. Some of the answers on this thread are just a little silly.


    But believe the reality of the situation is this: If brought in, Puerto Rico would/be a bright blue state. 2 new Democrat Senators, 5-6 Democrat Representatives. If the Island votes "yes" that they now want to come in to the US we will hear a loud cry of support by the Democrats to welcome them. And we will hear loud resistance from the GOP to not support it.

    And neither party could give a flying fig about what is good for this country or for the Puerto Ricans. It will strictly be about party power....
    I agree with your post up to the bolded part. It's all about what's good for the country. Its not about Puerto Rico, its about America. The last thing the USA needs is another nanny state that receives Obama bucks.

    The 51st state better have a lot to offer. No more takers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Generalizations are stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Steel View Post
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with guns.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ View Post
    I agree with your post up to the bolded part. It's all about what's good for the country. Its not about Puerto Rico, its about America. The last thing the USA needs is another nanny state that receives Obama bucks.

    The 51st state better have a lot to offer. No more takers!
    The above says it all. I'd be content to see the thread close right here.

  6. #36
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I just can't imagine why liberals would want to add a state of destitute people. Hmmmmm, just can't think of a single reason.
    Hell, if economic status was a requirement for being in the union, we'd lose half the south. Many of them only survive thanks to handouts from the rest of the country.
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  7. #37
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-24-13 @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,001

    Re: 51st State?

    Didn't Santorum make it clear that those people needed to speak English instead of Spanish in order to become a state?

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_rebson View Post
    Didn't Santorum make it clear that those people needed to speak English instead of Spanish in order to become a state?
    I said it too.

  9. #39
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Last Seen
    04-02-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    50

    Re: 51st State?

    No because it would add at least 3 liberal voting congressmen.

  10. #40
    User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Last Seen
    04-02-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    50

    Re: 51st State?

    Quote Originally Posted by Μολὼν λαβέ View Post
    I agree with your post up to the bolded part. It's all about what's good for the country. Its not about Puerto Rico, its about America. The last thing the USA needs is another nanny state that receives Obama bucks.

    The 51st state better have a lot to offer. No more takers!
    I so agree with you.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •