View Poll Results: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    14 23.33%
  • No

    37 61.67%
  • Other

    9 15.00%
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 144

Thread: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

  1. #1
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

    While I watched Obama's speech last night, I certainly felt happy, reassured and excited for the future. He is an exceptional orator who makes those who stand with him truly feel that they are a meaningful part of something important. At the same time, in the back of mind I could not help but wonder if he's going to live up to the vision he painted for the country last night. He said things that he hasn't said in this entire election season and, in some ways, in the past four years.

    I wonder if he now feels he get more done now that he doesn't have to worry about re-election or if it will be another four years of Obama not going as far as should have gone. In my opinion, he didn't push hard enough on Healthcare, he was too cautious about same-sex marriage, he significantly overreached by supporting warrant-less surveillance, his education policies weren't ideal and he didn't do enough to increase employment. (There's more, but I'll stop there.)

    So, my question, mostly to those who voted for Obama:
    Do you think Obama will live up to nation he painted in his victory speech and throughout the campaign?


    Video of speech: President Barack Obama - 2012 Re-election Acceptance Speech - YouTube
    Transcript of speech: Transcript: Obama’s Victory Speech - Washington Wire - WSJ

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

    Barack Obama is the most divisive figure in America. At the end of the day, we're in exactly the same place we were two weeks ago. Republican/Tea Party controlled House, Democratic Senate, and Obama.

    Same input, same output. More gridlock in Washington. More bickering, and nothing getting done for 2 years until the next senatorial races.

  3. #3
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,552

    Re: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

    Time for Obama to kick back, break out some good booze, curl up in front of the TV and watch the world go by for the next 4 yrs. Why shouldn't he...that's what all lame duck politicians do.

  4. #4
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Barack Obama is the most divisive figure in America. At the end of the day, we're in exactly the same place we were two weeks ago. Republican/Tea Party controlled House, Democratic Senate, and Obama.

    Same input, same output. More gridlock in Washington. More bickering, and nothing getting done for 2 years until the next senatorial races.
    It doesn't matter whether you’re black or white or Hispanic or Asian or Native American or young or old or rich or poor, able, disabled, gay or straight, you can make it here in America if you’re willing to try. - Barack Obama after his re-election on November 6, 2012

    That's not divisive.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

    The mood among many, many conservatives is downright anger. Anger.

    Especially southern conservatives.

    You thought Bush was divisive, this guy is your George W Bush x10.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    It doesn't matter whether you’re black or white or Hispanic or Asian or Native American or young or old or rich or poor, able, disabled, gay or straight, you can make it here in America if you’re willing to try. - Barack Obama after his re-election on November 6, 2012

    That's not divisive.

  6. #6
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    It doesn't matter whether you’re black or white or Hispanic or Asian or Native American or young or old or rich or poor, able, disabled, gay or straight, you can make it here in America if you’re willing to try. - Barack Obama after his re-election on November 6, 2012

    That's not divisive.
    He said similar things last time, and look what happened.

  7. #7
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,880

    Re: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    While I watched Obama's speech last night, I certainly felt happy, reassured and excited for the future. He is an exceptional orator who makes those who stand with him truly feel that they are a meaningful part of something important. At the same time, in the back of mind I could not help but wonder if he's going to live up to the vision he painted for the country last night. He said things that he hasn't said in this entire election season and, in some ways, in the past four years.

    I wonder if he now feels he get more done now that he doesn't have to worry about re-election or if it will be another four years of Obama not going as far as should have gone. In my opinion, he didn't push hard enough on Healthcare, he was too cautious about same-sex marriage, he significantly overreached by supporting warrant-less surveillance, his education policies weren't ideal and he didn't do enough to increase employment. (There's more, but I'll stop there.)

    So, my question, mostly to those who voted for Obama:
    Do you think Obama will live up to nation he painted in his victory speech and throughout the campaign?


    Video of speech: President Barack Obama - 2012 Re-election Acceptance Speech - YouTube
    Transcript of speech: Transcript: Obama’s Victory Speech - Washington Wire - WSJ
    To be honest, I listened to about two minutes of his speech and turned it off because I knew it would be the usual, empty rhetoric he's flung at us so many times before.

    As far as him achieving any of the grandiose and lofty goals he proclaimed...I sincerely hope he fails.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  8. #8
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    While I watched Obama's speech last night, I certainly felt happy, reassured and excited for the future. He is an exceptional orator who makes those who stand with him truly feel that they are a meaningful part of something important. At the same time, in the back of mind I could not help but wonder if he's going to live up to the vision he painted for the country last night. He said things that he hasn't said in this entire election season and, in some ways, in the past four years.

    I wonder if he now feels he get more done now that he doesn't have to worry about re-election or if it will be another four years of Obama not going as far as should have gone. In my opinion, he didn't push hard enough on Healthcare, he was too cautious about same-sex marriage, he significantly overreached by supporting warrant-less surveillance, his education policies weren't ideal and he didn't do enough to increase employment. (There's more, but I'll stop there.)

    So, my question, mostly to those who voted for Obama:
    Do you think Obama will live up to nation he painted in his victory speech and throughout the campaign?


    Video of speech: President Barack Obama - 2012 Re-election Acceptance Speech - YouTube
    Transcript of speech: Transcript: Obama’s Victory Speech - Washington Wire - WSJ
    By "not going far enough" it seems you're suggesting he did not push far enough down the Democratic/Liberal mindset on those issues.

    I'm not quite sure if that's wise or being a good steward of the country. You had a 2% popular vote victory with even lower turnout then the year before...hardly a mandate of "we are gungho behind your ideology 100%, push push push". You have the American people revote in a split Congress, allowing the Republicans to keep the house that money originates from.

    It seems to me that the little parts of his speech talking about reaching across the aisle is what needs to be true in the best interest of the country.

    On the Democratic side, the Obama administration and the Democrats in the Senate need to look at the Republican party in the house TODAY. NOT looking at Republicans 20 years ago, in another time and an entirely different complex, and figure out what it is they say they want and desire. They need to show good faith attempts to find bipartisan solutions, NOT simply offer up a few token scraps as a means of "bipartisanship". And I say "Good Faith" attempts at BIPARTISANSHIP for a reason...actual attempts undertaken with the express purpose and intent of gaining REPUBLICAN votes and support to build a consensus on something, not taking moderating steps to shore up one's own party members who won't even agree with you and attempting to present that as "reaching across the aisle". Winning over the more moderate people in your own PARTY is not "bi-partisanship" as there's no second party there to make the "bi" appropriate. There's no aisle you're reaching across. That's you just dealing with being so far to the left that you have to reach to just cover your own side of the aisle.

    On the flip side, Republicans in the House need to see that the American People ALSO want them to compromise as well. They voted the President back in narrowly, and added additional people in the senate largely at the expense of Abortion views. They need to approach honest, good faith attempts at bi-partisanship in a similar honest way. They need to look at the President's plans and instead of saying "how can we stop it" say "is there any way we can accomplish the goal, but in a method that is more in line with how we view things but is able to be agreed upon by both sides".

    The American People are pissed off at our government....and yet has elected it back into power in basically the same way. It seem's the message to me is clear....we either want Gridlock when both sides are trying to push their "Do it primarily in our ideological way of get bent", or we want both sides to find a way to actually successfully compromise.

    SUCCESSFULLY compromise. That's the key. Compromise is not "You win a little and lose a little, I win a little and lose a little". That's dumb compromise, and it's not going to work for any side. True compromise is looking at a situation, determining the goals and desires both sides have with said situation, and then trying to find the common ground that is a "win" for both in terms of their goals and going with that.

    If Obama decides to continue to try and push as left as his own party can allow him to go on most domestic things then the Republicans in the house are likely to push back in a similar fashion, and we're going to see next to nothing done. And frankly...based on the election, I think that's a result more welcomed by the American people than Obama OR the Republicans succeeding at going as left or as right as they are feasibly able to go.

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    08-09-13 @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,600

    Re: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Barack Obama is the most divisive figure in America. At the end of the day, we're in exactly the same place we were two weeks ago. Republican/Tea Party controlled House, Democratic Senate, and Obama.

    Same input, same output. More gridlock in Washington. More bickering, and nothing getting done for 2 years until the next senatorial races.
    You sound like a victim of black magic..

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

    I have no idea what that means.

    Quote Originally Posted by sharon View Post
    You sound like a victim of black magic..

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •