View Poll Results: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    14 23.33%
  • No

    37 61.67%
  • Other

    9 15.00%
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 144

Thread: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

  1. #31
    Sewer Rat


    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    25,047

    Re: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    ummm...

    You DO know that Obama only got 50% of the popular vote...right? The "old, rich, religious, white guy GOP platform" got the other 50%.

    Liberal hyperbole is alive and well...even after it won.
    Who's ass are you pulling the numbers out of? You are wrong. Your percentages are wrong. Your attitude is acerbic and mouthy.










    Somedays I stop and ask myself if it is going to be worth the effort of chewing through the restraints.


    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf



  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 10:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games
    Europe has a competitive number of doctors.
    What ratio of doctor/populace are you identifying as "competitive"?

  3. #33
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    49,502

    Re: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective-J View Post
    first I agree that business that hire illegals need put in check but as far as the person you are talking about do you mean the "and" part? they have to not be a criminal AND gainfully employed?
    How do you define gainfully?
    just asking because if they are an illegal that might be hard depending on your definition of gainfully.
    Thanks for the question. Gotta love the issues of writing something up on the fly.

    I would suggest in terms of the criminal record, it'd be looking for any misdemeanor/felony violations of the law that aren't directly related to the fact their illegal.

    Being illegally employed and working in the US is illegal because they're here illegally, that wouldn't count because if they were here legally there would be no criminal act going on.

    On the flip side, if they...I don't know, lets say a DUI (not sure if that's actually criminal)...then that would count because their status as an illegal alien has nothing to do with the action being illegal.

    Make sense?

    "Gainfully employed" would basically be "have a job" of some kind. I'd probably actually require it to be that one parent have a job (so no, if the dad works and the mother doesn't, the mother doesn't get the boot).

    Next if you go after these business (which we should) he might not admit he has a job there and/or by default depending on how you define gainful by its going to get harder and harder for him to get a job or someone to supply him with one. (which it SHOULD be)
    Absolutely! This is part of fulfilling Republican goals. You're not going to get to stay here for free...essentially, you get to stay but on the flip side it allows us to likely remove others. The parents don't have to give up their employer...but if they choose not to give up their employer, they're going to have to get out of the country because they're not going to qualify to be in the Guest Worker type program. So it's basically a give and take so that both sides get some of what they want.

    The honest hope, of course, is that the crack down on businesses will cause it to be harder to be here illegally which will decrease the illegal aliens coming in making this program become less and less needed while providing some help for those children who were already brought over.

    I get what you mean and I guess "gainfully" probably should just be stripped away and replaced with "employed"...or even showing some sort of income to highlight that the individual does at least have some skills or ability to actively work and sustain themselves in some fashion.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWonka View Post
    In fact, I would wager to you that within 10 years of today's date that stupid MAGA hat will be registered as a symbol of hate on par with a Swastika.

  4. #34
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    03-05-18 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,862

    Re: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Barack Obama is the most divisive figure in America. At the end of the day, we're in exactly the same place we were two weeks ago. Republican/Tea Party controlled House, Democratic Senate, and Obama.

    Same input, same output. More gridlock in Washington. More bickering, and nothing getting done for 2 years until the next senatorial races.
    I still think he has a way to go to catch of with the decider. However, I think some introspection by those who hate him with such passion might be beneficial. Just saying.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,765

    Re: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Who's ass are you pulling the numbers out of? You are wrong. Your percentages are wrong. Your attitude is acerbic and mouthy.
    sigh...

    Okay, if you want to get nitpicky, Obama got 50.4%...Romney got 48.1% (at last count by HuffPo)

    My point still stands.

    Face it...this election was, by no means, a ringing endorsement for Obama by the American People. He won by the skin of his teeth and skillful campaign strategy.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

  6. #36
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 09:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    What ratio of doctor/populace are you identifying as "competitive"?
    Their society isn't spiraling into third-world living standards due to doctor shortages.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 10:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

    I never meant to imply that America would suddenly grow collectively sick and die. I am hesitant, however, to give up my excellent health care and have it downgraded to "decent" or "acceptable" like I would qualify European health care to be. This is especially so when I consider the reason(s) that I have to give it up.

  8. #38
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,231

    Re: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Thanks for the question. Gotta love the issues of writing something up on the fly.

    I would suggest in terms of the criminal record, it'd be looking for any misdemeanor/felony violations of the law that aren't directly related to the fact their illegal.

    Being illegally employed and working in the US is illegal because they're here illegally, that wouldn't count because if they were here legally there would be no criminal act going on.

    On the flip side, if they...I don't know, lets say a DUI (not sure if that's actually criminal)...then that would count because their status as an illegal alien has nothing to do with the action being illegal.

    Make sense?

    "Gainfully employed" would basically be "have a job" of some kind. I'd probably actually require it to be that one parent have a job (so no, if the dad works and the mother doesn't, the mother doesn't get the boot).



    Absolutely! This is part of fulfilling Republican goals. You're not going to get to stay here for free...essentially, you get to stay but on the flip side it allows us to likely remove others. The parents don't have to give up their employer...but if they choose not to give up their employer, they're going to have to get out of the country because they're not going to qualify to be in the Guest Worker type program. So it's basically a give and take so that both sides get some of what they want.

    The honest hope, of course, is that the crack down on businesses will cause it to be harder to be here illegally which will decrease the illegal aliens coming in making this program become less and less needed while providing some help for those children who were already brought over.

    I get what you mean and I guess "gainfully" probably should just be stripped away and replaced with "employed"...or even showing some sort of income to highlight that the individual does at least have some skills or ability to actively work and sustain themselves in some fashion.
    ahhhh I got it now and i pretty much agree.
    I guess where the confusing came in was on my part also. I was thinking "continuous" system but in actuality this system would have a limited shelf life by default. WHICH IM TOTALLY COOL WITH.

    Eventually, its cuts down on illegals by default and bushiness that will employee them forcing people to do it the proper way in the future or simply be deported.

    I get it now and i Like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RamFel View Post
    Genetically human & human being is exactly the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicup View Post
    homosexuality is objectively wrong, but because science tells me it is, not politics.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    I'm not at risk for AIDS. Gays are.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajn678 View Post
    there is no such thing as an abortion on a dead fetus.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 01:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

    Did the libs introspect concerning their hatred of Bush?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I still think he has a way to go to catch of with the decider. However, I think some introspection by those who hate him with such passion might be beneficial. Just saying.

  10. #40
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 09:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I never meant to imply that America would suddenly grow collectively sick and die. I am hesitant, however, to give up my excellent health care and have it downgraded to "decent" or "acceptable" like I would qualify European health care to be. This is especially so when I consider the reason(s) that I have to give it up.
    Don't think premium service vanish in any case, so it isn't a problem.

    I'm also leery of the idea that American health care provides consistently great service. Our doctors are the best trained but that only matters to the extent they put all their effort into their work, something they aren't really required to do to make the living that they do. In fact, healing someone isn't necessarily the most profitable treatment.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •