View Poll Results: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    14 23.33%
  • No

    37 61.67%
  • Other

    9 15.00%
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 144

Thread: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

  1. #121
    Advisor Krystov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mount Juliet, TN
    Last Seen
    07-25-14 @ 02:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    453

    Re: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    That may be, but with a two party state what's the alternative?

    Paul
    This may sound crazy and probably is, but revolution. It's what formed this country. I think we've strayed very far from the framers' intentions and become something entirely different. I don't believe the government really cares what the people want, they just want power.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war..." -Plato

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJR
    ...play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

  2. #122
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    LOL!!!

    Contrary to what you and most liberals believe, the more you say something that is false DOES NOT make it true.

    You are dismissed,.
    Dissmiss me all you want the facts still stand, calling me a liberal further exposes you. If you want Obama to totally fail you want america to fail. Ive asked you many times how do you separate them and you gave me ZERO answers LMAO. Instead of anything logical and rational all you did is deflect and try failed insults, I wonder why that is hmmmmmm :laughtat:

    All you have left is egg on your face instead of just manning up and admitting you misspoke.

    Hey guess what Lakers play tomorrow. They have a new Coach, Coach brown, I dont like how he plans to run things, I like the way phil jackson ran things better so I hope coach brown fails. But I want the lakers to win!

    Sorry that type of broken logic is moronic and totally illogical.

    Why? because if coach brown fails the lakers LOSE LOL
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #123
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    As a mathematician and scientist, abuse of the word "fact" is a pet peeve of mine. A fact is something you can prove, not something you can't disprove.
    thats good since i already prove it
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #124
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,822

    Re: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Under Obama's agenda, America probably won't fail, but she sure as hell won't prosper.
    that might be true or it might not, thats not my argument at all.
    Im not saying its a fact he will have success, but "in general" Im rooting for him just like i root for all presidents because rooting against him is moronic and illogical. If he fails it hurts america
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  5. #125
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    By "not going far enough" it seems you're suggesting he did not push far enough down the Democratic/Liberal mindset on those issues.

    I'm not quite sure if that's wise or being a good steward of the country. You had a 2% popular vote victory with even lower turnout then the year before...hardly a mandate of "we are gungho behind your ideology 100%, push push push". You have the American people revote in a split Congress, allowing the Republicans to keep the house that money originates from.
    My political beliefs aren't based on popularity and suspect yours aren't either or else you would have become a Democrat after the election. Because my beliefs aren't based on popularity, my belief that Obama didn't go far enough stands regardless of how much of the popular vote he got. I don't think he went far enough on healthcare, don't think he went far enough in supporting unions and don't think he supported same-sex marriage soon and firmly enough. Period.

    It seems to me that the little parts of his speech talking about reaching across the aisle is what needs to be true in the best interest of the country.
    In certain aspects, yes, compromise is fine. It's unfortunate that when Obama did reach across the aisle in his last term, Republicans condemned him and perpetuated the myth that he was an extremist uninterested in compromise. Now, in certain aspects, I don't consider reaching across the aisle to be the best interest of the country, particularly on social issues.

    On the Democratic side, the Obama administration and the Democrats in the Senate need to look at the Republican party in the house TODAY. NOT looking at Republicans 20 years ago, in another time and an entirely different complex, and figure out what it is they say they want and desire. They need to show good faith attempts to find bipartisan solutions, NOT simply offer up a few token scraps as a means of "bipartisanship". And I say "Good Faith" attempts at BIPARTISANSHIP for a reason...actual attempts undertaken with the express purpose and intent of gaining REPUBLICAN votes and support to build a consensus on something, not taking moderating steps to shore up one's own party members who won't even agree with you and attempting to present that as "reaching across the aisle". Winning over the more moderate people in your own PARTY is not "bi-partisanship" as there's no second party there to make the "bi" appropriate. There's no aisle you're reaching across. That's you just dealing with being so far to the left that you have to reach to just cover your own side of the aisle.
    Meh, that depends on what the Republicans want. The Republican Party has become more extreme in its views and compromising with such extremism is bad for the country. This notion of "bipartisanship" has been treated recently as an inherent good. However, from what I've seen of the Republican Party over the last for years, "bipartisanship" would damage the country because it's ideas look out only for a small minority of citizens.

    On the flip side, Republicans in the House need to see that the American People ALSO want them to compromise as well. They voted the President back in narrowly, and added additional people in the senate largely at the expense of Abortion views. They need to approach honest, good faith attempts at bi-partisanship in a similar honest way. They need to look at the President's plans and instead of saying "how can we stop it" say "is there any way we can accomplish the goal, but in a method that is more in line with how we view things but is able to be agreed upon by both sides".
    I agree.

    The American People are pissed off at our government....and yet has elected it back into power in basically the same way. It seem's the message to me is clear....we either want Gridlock when both sides are trying to push their "Do it primarily in our ideological way of get bent", or we want both sides to find a way to actually successfully compromise.

    SUCCESSFULLY compromise. That's the key. Compromise is not "You win a little and lose a little, I win a little and lose a little". That's dumb compromise, and it's not going to work for any side. True compromise is looking at a situation, determining the goals and desires both sides have with said situation, and then trying to find the common ground that is a "win" for both in terms of their goals and going with that.

    If Obama decides to continue to try and push as left as his own party can allow him to go on most domestic things then the Republicans in the house are likely to push back in a similar fashion, and we're going to see next to nothing done. And frankly...based on the election, I think that's a result more welcomed by the American people than Obama OR the Republicans succeeding at going as left or as right as they are feasibly able to go.
    I agree. Because the House is still Republican, compromise will be necessary for anything to get done - at least for the next two years. However, considering that the Obama won the electoral and popular votes, I don't think the Republicans have as equal a part in the compromise as you're giving them.

  6. #126
    Pathetic Douchebag
    Cilogy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    10-10-14 @ 05:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,587

    Re: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

    I think there's a difference between living up to what Obama says and striving towards goals. Living up to things is overrated and it's an unfortunate burden we put on all politicians. It's more realistic to support people based on how much they accomplish on the path towards a goal.

    If Obama's first term is any indication, we really shouldn't be surprised if he doesn't live up to the enormous expectations we bestow upon him (whether you voted for or against him). That goes for any political leader.


  7. #127
    Sage
    gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    uk
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,365

    Re: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by Krystov View Post
    This may sound crazy and probably is, but revolution. It's what formed this country. I think we've strayed very far from the framers' intentions and become something entirely different. I don't believe the government really cares what the people want, they just want power.
    From a 'moderate', very crazy

    Paul
    RIP THE EUROPEAN FORUM 2016

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

    I voted yes because the Country really is starting to change. For example: Two states have just legalized marijuana for recreational use. In his heart of hearts, I believe the president applauds this, but it may be a little too soon to extend his support.

  9. #129
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    02-13-13 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,536
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Do you think Obama will live up to nation he painted in his victory speech and throughout the campaign?
    While we can't know for sure, one can make somewhat of a rough estimate if they look back on his past victory speech and actions.

  10. #130
    Advisor Krystov's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mount Juliet, TN
    Last Seen
    07-25-14 @ 02:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    453

    Re: Will Obama live up to his victory speech?

    Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    From a 'moderate', very crazy

    Paul
    Well I agree with you on the two party system. I think just the fact that there are two "sides" inherently makes one side hate the other. Deconstruct the party system so that no one has a side, and start passing laws and programs that support the country based on a collective of beliefs that complement one another. The party system is a one or the other type of way of doing things, and I don't think either side is completely right.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war..." -Plato

    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelJR
    ...play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •