Republicans/Conservatives don't value Minorities.
The trend is for the Incumbent to win re-relection.
Young people voted for what they felt was best.
Young people are naive and impressionable.
Romney's campaign didn't try hard enough to win hearts and minds.
The election must have been rigged.
Romney was wildly unpopular in Massachussetts.
Romney was elite and out-of-touch.
The Republican party does not value women's rights.
Other (PLEASE explain why).
"A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"
Cicero Marcus Tullius
Besides, I think most of the talk about Obama and the Democrats being anti-capitalist is totally exaggerated hyperbole. Before the GOP radicalized and shifted further and further to the right 10 or 15 years ago, most of Obama's positions were not unheard of among Republicans.
But hey, when you have a giant propaganda machine from both sides constantly telling you that your opponent's victory will bring "1000 years of darkness", of course more moderate considerations don't matter anymore. And I doubt that extreme polarization is good for the country on the long run.
"Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."
The GOp didn't lose this election because they nominated a poor canidate, nor that they didn't pick up minority votes, nor that they failed to gather the women vote.
They simply were unable to convinve enoguh people in enough places that having a Romney presidency would be better than an Obama presidency.
No more, no less.
"Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough."
Probably a little bit of everything.
- Colonel Paul YinglingNobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.
Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.
All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
The real reasons:
* Because you can't win an election on "let me get into office first and then I'll give you the details."
* Because there's only so many times you can change your position or "reboot" your campaign before people question your resolve.
* Because not everybody bought the out of context B.S. like "that".
* Because most people don't watch the epic level of misinformation and hypocrisy that comes out of fox news.
* Because the president didn't botch a second debate.
What the reasons should be:
* Because current republican economics is entirely a faith, there is zero evidence to support their ideas.
* Because you can't sell the same crap for 30 years (supply side economics) before people start to wonder when you'll actually deliver.
* Because you can't sell the same crap for 30 years (supply side economics) and rebrand it every year in trying not to deliver.
* Because the tea party doesn't know what the hell they are talking about - government expenditures have been roughly 20% of GDP for 60 years. The part that changed to give us this debt is the revenue side of the equation.
* Because the deficit and debt really is more than a 4 year old issue
* Because people understand that a "20% across the board cut" really means a 2 point drop for the poor and 7 points for the rich.
* Because 4 out of 6 countries ranked higher than us in global competitiveness have much stronger progressive systems than we do. The other 2 are facing the same economic disparity issues.
* Because an uncompromising house under Grover Norquist's boot needs to take much of the blame.
* Because the economy has been recovering for the duration of the current term
* Because the angry white guy is a declining demographic
* Because "together" and "ask not" have not been completely crushed by rugged-go-F-yourself individualism.
* Because you can't expect a speedy recovery and austerity at the same time.
Republicans lost because there are more Northerners than Southerners.
As a talk show host stated this morning, it is hard to beat Santa Claus
Death of a Democracy"
A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:
How old is our Country?
Last edited by GmH; 11-07-12 at 02:32 PM.
the u.s. has moved further and further towards the evil of democracy, (a state where people create rights for themselves, and any materiel good or service they wish), as they infringe on the rights of those having to pay the cost for those new rights, good and services.
democracies always die, because of the excesses of the people, creating anything they can imagine, this leads to a devaluation of the currency, huge debt, fewer rights for the people, and lastly enslavement......as the founders say, .....the end for democracies is a dictator.
as the people become more the way of sheep ,and clamor for those politicians that will promise them anything, seek to destroy those whom the (politicians deem) is the people's enemy, hate and envy shall grow, and tear the fabric of American society apart.
with democracy, there is no civic pride, no duty too the union, it is just a cycle over and over of, men, me, me, of self-interest of the people.
for such a long time now the interest of individual states has been lost, after the 17 th amendment, and the electoral college mean to be in the interest on the union itself, has turn into a self-interest of the people, on what will the "president do for me"
as government continues seek to bestow new rights, to quell hunger of the people more and more, and apply the people with (bread and circuses,) as the roman emperors did america will head down the path of apathy, then mediocrity, until we no longer cease to be.
our union will be over with those individuals left, fighting over the tiny fragments that shall remain.
one cannot predicate when our union shall fail, but it will fail, because of the excesses and self-interest of the people, as they turn away from the things that made America great, and end the dream of the American founding fathers.
Anti-Democracy advocate, Mixed government is the only good government
THE second point to be examined is, whether the [constitutional ]convention were authorized to frame and propose this mixed Constitution.
The Tea Party forces are hurting the party with the right of center bend of the majority.
George Bush had good support among Latino voters because he supported immigration reform. Many Latinos in America have family members who they want to see immigrate to America. The Republican Party rejected this Bush idea and the Latino vote went away. Many Latinos are a better idealogical fit with the Republicans. However, family comes before party, everytime.