View Poll Results: Is social conservatism finished as a nationally competitive ideology?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    41 53.25%
  • No

    36 46.75%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 74

Thread: Is Social Conservatism Finished as a Nationally Competitive Ideology?

  1. #61
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,076

    Re: Is Social Conservatism Finished as a Nationally Competitive Ideology?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_rebson View Post
    Maybe some people considered the last two GOP presidential nominees to be too moderate.
    Of course there are those on the fringes who feel this way. Let us hope they continue to control the GOP and get their way for a long time in Republican nominees at every level. Look what happened in Missouri and Indiana Senate races when the whackos run off at the mouth and expose their extremism.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  2. #62
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Is Social Conservatism Finished as a Nationally Competitive Ideology?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    That is really a non starter and a non issue to all but a few people obsessed with that false premise. The fact is a simple and obvious one: the relationship between a citizen taxpayer and their government is NOT one of a retail shopper and a business. It is silly to whine and cry about what you get back versus what you pay. And lets face it Turtle, all you talk about this issue and your invocation of your sacred classification of the almighty NET TAXPAYER has never even resulted in you or anyone else being able to define or quantify such a term so that it can be applied across the board and identify who is who. Its simply a fallacy from the get go that only occupies a few people obsessed with the sillyness of it all.
    Opinion noted and rejected as no responsive. the fact is-the dems won a majority of those who are paying little or no income taxes while the GOP won a majority (though not as much) of those who are paying income taxes. Your party appeals to the takers, mine the makers.

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Is Social Conservatism Finished as a Nationally Competitive Ideology?

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny_rebson View Post
    Maybe some people considered the last two GOP presidential nominees to be too moderate.
    While Romney may have been very moderate, he was portrayed as a hard-nosed social conservative who is against abortion,etc. The fact that those social positions were so heavily stigmatized says a lot about the credibility with voters on socially conservative positions.

  4. #64
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,076

    Re: Is Social Conservatism Finished as a Nationally Competitive Ideology?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Opinion noted and rejected as no responsive. the fact is-the dems won a majority of those who are paying little or no income taxes while the GOP won a majority (though not as much) of those who are paying income taxes. Your party appeals to the takers, mine the makers.
    The fact is that I hit far too close to home on your own feelings on this issue and that is why you reject them out of hand rather than to examine your own extremism on this issue.

    And none of your drawing these silly lines in the sand separating Americans from each other matters to anybody but a few on the right obsessed with this issue. The obsession with the separation of the federal income tax from all other taxes is an intellectually dishonest and fraudulent tactic designed to paint a false and skewed picture of the real tax burden in this nation.

    I thought you were a libertarian? You refer to MY PARTY and seem to be proud of your mainstrem Republicanism.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #65
    Politically Correct

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:16 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,855
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Is Social Conservatism Finished as a Nationally Competitive Ideology?

    More conservatives voted this election than in 2004. Even if Romney had gotten the same percentage share of their vote as Bush -- meaning more votes from conservatives than Bush, a darling of conservatism, received -- he would have lost the popular vote by about a million votes. I think it is pretty safe to say that Romney's moderatism did not cost him enough with conservatives to lose the election. There are simply not enough to have made a difference.
    (avatar by Thomas Nast)

  6. #66
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: Is Social Conservatism Finished as a Nationally Competitive Ideology?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    The fact is that I hit far too close to home on your own feelings on this issue and that is why you reject them out of hand rather than to examine your own extremism on this issue.

    And none of your drawing these silly lines in the sand separating Americans from each other matters to anybody but a few on the right obsessed with this issue. The obsession with the separation of the federal income tax from all other taxes is an intellectually dishonest and fraudulent tactic designed to paint a false and skewed picture of the real tax burden in this nation.

    I thought you were a libertarian? You refer to MY PARTY and seem to be proud of your mainstrem Republicanism.
    Opinion noted and rejected because you are trying to guess what my feelings are and what you claim is extremism is colored by your own positions which are far left of mainstream America.

    I am a libertarian and I generally vote GOP because of the two parties that have a chance of winning, the GOP is closer to libertarian ideals on the rights I value the most

  7. #67
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    90,076

    Re: Is Social Conservatism Finished as a Nationally Competitive Ideology?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Opinion noted and rejected because you are trying to guess what my feelings are and what you claim is extremism is colored by your own positions which are far left of mainstream America.

    I am a libertarian and I generally vote GOP because of the two parties that have a chance of winning, the GOP is closer to libertarian ideals on the rights I value the most
    Nobody that has been here for more than a few months has to guess what your feelings are, what your motivations are and what your opinions are Turtle. You have made all that as clear as a newly windexed window on a sunny day.

    You have a right to vote any way you want to vote.

    You have a right to call yourself anything you want to call yourself.

    I just find it interesting that on sites like this libertarians are more common than lice on a mangy street cur but at election time they always find it more than convenient to urinate on their own supposed values and take the easy way out and simply vote Republican.

    Its easy for anyone to proclaim that they are LIBERTARIAN but at the rare instances when push comes to shove and it actually counts in the real world for something other than chest thumping and boasting, they back away and vote REPUBLICAN.

    Of course the LIBERTARIAN pin-up boy Ron Paul has been doing it for a long time now so we should not be shocked that others ape his cowardly and self serving political behavior.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  8. #68
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,705

    Re: Is Social Conservatism Finished as a Nationally Competitive Ideology?

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Nobody that has been here for more than a few months has to guess what your feelings are, what your motivations are and what your opinions are Turtle. You have made all that as clear as a newly windexed window on a sunny day.

    You have a right to vote any way you want to vote.

    You have a right to call yourself anything you want to call yourself.

    I just find it interesting that on sites like this libertarians are more common than lice on a mangy street cur but at election time they always find it more than convenient to urinate on their own supposed values and take the easy way out and simply vote Republican.

    Its easy for anyone to proclaim that they are LIBERTARIAN but at the rare instances when push comes to shove and it actually counts in the real world for something other than chest thumping and boasting, they back away and vote REPUBLICAN.

    Of course the LIBERTARIAN pin-up boy Ron Paul has been doing it for a long time now so we should not be shocked that others ape his cowardly and self serving political behavior.
    I differ from you on this one. I think that this is the sensible political course for libertarians. Attempting at getting at that 5-10% marker, although bold, ambitious, and idealistic, often does not come and frequently doesn't benefit them afterward. Infiltrating one of the two major parties has more relative impact. That being said, I, of course, am not generally sympathetic to libertarians or their philosophy, and after this election, even my feeling of political expediency went away after noticing from my own personal angle, that it is a dead-end for Republicans.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: Is Social Conservatism Finished as a Nationally Competitive Ideology?

    Quote Originally Posted by Krhazy View Post
    For two consecutive elections now -- one in which Republicans won by large margins, and now one in which Democrats won despite the economy being heavily against them -- social issues seem to have cost Republicans major Senate seats in right-leaning states. The issue of abortion seems to be killing Republican candidacies. Gay marriage is turning a corner in popularity. And the demographics are shifting extremely quickly even further to the left.

    I think it's usually a terrible idea to say "such and such an ideology is dead" after an election. These things have a tendency to turn around somehow or another. But it's hard to avoid the conclusion after the past four years that this country is shifting dramatically, social conservatism is no longer a winning ideology nationally, and it is unlikely to be one again for the foreseeable future.

    What do you think?
    I think the cult of personality has raided the White House and it's here to stay. It's hard for anyone to win an election when you're running against Santa Claus. Christmas has come early for the Obamacrats.

  10. #70
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,705

    Re: Is Social Conservatism Finished as a Nationally Competitive Ideology?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    I think the cult of personality has raided the White House and it's here to stay. It's hard for anyone to win an election when you're running against Santa Claus. Christmas has come early for the Obamacrats.
    It wasn't really cult of personality, though there is much of that, Republicans simply were not able to persuade enough of the right people to jump sides.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •