View Poll Results: If you had to choose and these were the only options available, which of the followin

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Option A

    19 43.18%
  • Option B

    8 18.18%
  • Option C

    16 36.36%
  • Option D

    1 2.27%
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 175

Thread: The Future of The USA

  1. #1
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    The Future of The USA

    After reading some interesting arguments and articles regarding governmental structures and how the US should move forward, I constructed the following hypothetical situation. I realize that these options may seem limited, but from what I’ve read, they seem to key in to some of the main large issues that are argued and or contemplated. I am on the fence with which option I would prefer. So I’d like to hear some other people’s opinions.

    If you had to choose and these were the only options available, which of the following options would be best for the US?


    Option A:
    Being number one in the world economy.

    Increasing the current disadvantage of those born into poor families.

    No free access to healthcare.

    No free access to any level of education.

    No food and shelter safety nets.

    Being number one in military power.

    Voting power is decided by the level of monetary contributions in taxes.



    Option B:
    Being among the top 10 economic forces in the world.

    Slightly decreasing the disadvantage of those born into poor families.

    Free access to only the most minimal health care for the poor.

    Free access to no more than secondary education for the poor.

    Food and shelter safety nets that serve only to keep people alive.

    Being among the top 10 military powers in the world.

    Everyone pays the same percentage of their income in taxes.


    Option C:
    Being among the top 50% of the economic forces in the world.

    Almost complete removal of the disadvantage of those born into poor families.

    Free access to quality health care for the poor.

    Free access to all schooling levels and all schools for those capable of completing the coursework.

    Food and shelter safety nets that serve to allow equal physical health.

    Being among the top 50% of military forces in the world.

    Progressive taxation is applied without loopholes.


    Option D:
    Unknown world economic power status.

    Enforcing equality of outcome (not to be confused with equality of opportunity).

    Unknown world military power status.

    Taxes are decided based on the amount needed to create equality of outcome.


    Also, if there are other areas that are important for consideration that would not effect the position of the other parts of the options, please list and or explore those.
    Last edited by MusicAdventurer; 11-04-12 at 05:09 PM.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tampa
    Last Seen
    09-24-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: The Future of The USA

    US will be fine. compare our economy, military, resource reserves, and level of civilian education and general scale/quality of national-infrastructure to any other of these 'rising superpowers' and you'll see that doomsaying about the US is a joke in this century.

    really: just put them side by side.

    put those factors listed above for

    usa vs russia
    usa vs china
    usa vs india
    usa vs brazil
    usa vs EU
    usa vs etc

    generally the gap is staggering, except for the EU, but who knows where that organization is heading in the short-medium term i'm guessing into a great depression considering they're trying the policies we used under Hoover (they don't work).
    Last edited by roflpublican; 11-04-12 at 05:00 PM.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: The Future of The USA

    Option E: none of the above.

  4. #4
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: The Future of The USA

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    Option E: none of the above.
    I don't want any of the above either - but I wonder which option is closest to what people want? This is what's called an ethical dilemma. It helps to bring up important issues so that we can be prepared if we had to make decisions. Its an exercise of the brain. What do you value? What would you sacrifice?

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    12-11-12 @ 04:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,080

    Re: The Future of The USA

    Thats a weighted question so I vote none of the above

  6. #6
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: The Future of The USA

    Quote Originally Posted by roflpublican View Post
    US will be fine. compare our economy, military, resource reserves, and level of civilian education and general scale/quality of national-infrastructure to any other of these 'rising superpowers' and you'll see that doomsaying about the US is a joke in this century.

    really: just put them side by side.

    put those factors listed above for

    usa vs russia
    usa vs china
    usa vs india
    usa vs brazil
    usa vs EU
    usa vs etc

    generally the gap is staggering, except for the EU, but who knows where that organization is heading in the short-medium term i'm guessing into a great depression considering they're trying the policies we used under Hoover (they don't work).
    If you read my introduction, you would see that what I listed were hypothetical situations. I am under no disillusionment that these options are necessarily going to occur, although I acknowledge the possibility that they could be close to some situations that may occur. Let me ask you this... which option do you think is currently the most similar to the situation the US is in today?

  7. #7
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: The Future of The USA

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Austin View Post
    Thats a weighted question so I vote none of the above
    Its simply choosing the greater of 4 evils. If it were easy it wouldn't be considered an ethical "dilemma" ....

  8. #8
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: The Future of The USA

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    I don't want any of the above either - but I wonder which option is closest to what people want? This is what's called an ethical dilemma. It helps to bring up important issues so that we can be prepared if we had to make decisions. Its an exercise of the brain. What do you value? What would you sacrifice?
    If we do it right, we don't have to sacrifice anything. There is no reason we can't provide safety nets, retirement income protection, excellent medical care for all, taxpayer-subsidized education through high school, a powerful mililtary, and equal opportunity to pursue the American Dream.

    All within budget. We just have to convince Congress that they need to stop buying their incumbencies by voting out of the Treasury of the United States of America.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  9. #9
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    Re: The Future of The USA

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    If we do it right, we don't have to sacrifice anything. There is no reason we can't provide safety nets, retirement income protection, excellent medical care for all, taxpayer-subsidized education through high school, a powerful mililtary, and equal opportunity to pursue the American Dream.

    All within budget. We just have to convince Congress that they need to stop buying their incumbencies by voting out of the Treasury of the United States of America.
    This is an experiment, an exercise, its to help strengthen and realize one's priorities. Dealing with any ethical dilemma is never easy. I'd like to believe that what you are saying is true, but somehow I don't think its as simple as that. I realize that no system will ever be perfect and I think realizing that helps us move forward. Still, I have hope that it isn't as complicated at I have made it in this dilemma.

    For me, being the top dog of the world is not as important as sticking to certain ethical principles.... what about you? what principles would you be willing to sacrifice to be top dog in the world?

  10. #10
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: The Future of The USA

    Quote Originally Posted by MusicAdventurer View Post
    This is an experiment, an exercise, its to help strengthen and realize one's priorities. Dealing with any ethical dilemma is never easy. I'd like to believe that what you are saying is true, but somehow I don't think its as simple as that. I realize that no system will ever be perfect and I think realizing that helps us move forward. Still, I have hope that it isn't as complicated at I have made it in this dilemma.

    For me, being the top dog of the world is not as important as sticking to certain ethical principles.... what about you? what principles would you be willing to sacrifice to be top dog in the world?
    Depends on who's Top Dog #2.

    We are peacekeepers in the world -- as much as we like to moan, that's what we are. That's what we inherit by being the most powerful nation in the world. I'm at a loss to engage this topic, because I don't think we have to give up any ethical principles to accomplish what we'd like. Heck, we're almost there. We just have to figure out a way to afford it.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •