View Poll Results: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, make them illegal. They're harassment, not protected free speech

    32 47.76%
  • No, they should be legal. They're in bad taste, but they're legal.

    35 52.24%
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 135

Thread: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

  1. #1
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    In case you're not familiar with the case, there was a web site run by a sleazy and unethical man named Hunter Moore in which people angry at their ex's would post nude photos of them against their will, photos that were originally intended to be private. They were photos that usually resulted from "sexting." Very often the victims of the unwanted uploads protested and tried to get their photos removed. Moore, predictably, refused. That site was called Isanyoneup. I can say that because it's since been taken down. Moore had been confronted by some of his victims and had always shirked responsibility with the line, "I didn't upload those photos. Someone else did." Yeah, but you set up the site that encouraged them to. Fortunately, his site is now gone. He chose to get rid of it, maybe because of pressure or guilt or legal threats. I'm not sure. That's the good news. The bad news is someone else put up the same kind of site to replace it. I won't say that site's name. The twist with the new site is it includes a link to a "lawyer" that can help them get their photos removed. Of course it's not a real lawyer. It's just the site owner getting people to pay hundreds of dollars to get the photos removed that belong to them anyway and that they never authorized being published.

    The poll is whether it should be illegal to put up revenge porn sites like this. "Yes" means they should be made illegal. "No" means they should be legal.

  2. #2
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    They're horrific violations of privacy and betrayals of trust. If nothing else, they should be illegal because everyone willingly involved with them is scum and deserves to suffer.

  3. #3
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    I don't know to be honest. I think it's more of a civil than criminal matter. Like defamation etc. As I said I just don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  4. #4
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,889

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    The guy on the website should not be held responsible whatsoever... it's true, he did not put those photos up there. And he, is allowed to encourage anything he want's to, it's a free country as long as he doesn't provide the photos himself.

    The boyfriends should be held liable for everything.

  5. #5
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,889

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    This would mean that any-website people could freely post pictures or videos could be charged of encouraging defamation if some random dude posted something he shouldn't have.

  6. #6
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Websites post all kinds of things, from exposés, to national and military secrets, and people defend the sights and people who do that as essential bastions and martyrs of freedom and rights. It's not until people actually see that such crap can personally effect them that it becomes a "problem". So keep the sites up, keep them legal, as long as they don't commit illegal acts. The freedom of speech is a double-edged sword.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  7. #7
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by celticwar17 View Post
    This would mean that any-website people could freely post pictures or videos could be charged of encouraging defamation if some random dude posted something he shouldn't have.
    Like I said I don't see how this could ever be criminal, but civil? Maybe. I mean I know it is a trust thing but it happens to celebrities all the time and they sometimes take legal action, sometimes they don't. It would depend on the person. I mean really, you should not be sending naked or sexy pictures to any electronic media. The responsibility is solely on the person who sent the picture/video. As soon as that happens they have relinquished control. So with no contract as to use of said media, even as a breach of personal trust, as soon as you upload it is sent through the servers of some unknown corporation. An argument could be made that ignorance of that is no excuse.

    In the end if it is say tangible film on solid media, I think a case could be made that the privacy of the subject had been violate. Electronic media however, I don't see it. But hey, I am no lawyer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #8
    Guru
    celticwar17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,889

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    When someone is charge for defamation on spreading a rumor that's not true, we don't sue all the news-agencies that reported the false accusation. Photos and videos are methods of communication, like speech and should be treated as such. A rumor or secret can be just as damaging as a photo or video( not as much potential because word of mouth can more easily be discarded). The one who did not have consent in the first place is the one who is guilty... everything else is free speech.

  9. #9
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    In case you're not familiar with the case, there was a web site run by a sleazy and unethical man named Hunter Moore ...

    You calling him such does not make him such.



    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    in which people angry at their ex's would post nude photos of them against their will, photos that were originally intended to be private.
    Sharing the photo with another is not "intending them to be private".
    Once you give it away, it is a gift for the other to do as they please with it.



    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    Moore had been confronted by some of his victims and had always shirked responsibility with the line, "I didn't upload those photos. Someone else did." Yeah, but you set up the site that encouraged them to.
    Hyperbolic nonsense. He didn't shirk responsibility.
    The responsibility falls on the person who submitted the photo and the person who gave it as a gift in the first place.




    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    Fortunately, his site is now gone.
    And a new one will be going up shortly and he say the new one will be 'Scariest On The Internet'.
    Hunter Moore, Is Anyone Up Founder, Says New Website Will Be 'Scariest On The Internet'


    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    He chose to get rid of it, maybe because of pressure or guilt or legal threats. I'm not sure.
    As he has stated multiple times, it was because of the work involved in removing photo's being submitted of those underage.


    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    The bad news is someone else put up the same kind of site to replace it.
    That's the good news.


    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    The twist with the new site is it includes a link to a "lawyer" that can help them get their photos removed. Of course it's not a real lawyer. It's just the site owner getting people to pay hundreds of dollars to get the photos removed that belong to them anyway and that they never authorized being published.
    Got evidence that it is just the site owner?


    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    The poll is whether it should be illegal to put up revenge porn sites like this. "Yes" means they should be made illegal. "No" means they should be legal.
    It is something I would not participate in, and I do not agree with him doing it, but this is, and should remain legal.






    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Gehrig View Post
    They're horrific violations of privacy
    No, not really, because the photo was freely given in the first place.



    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Gehrig View Post
    and betrayals of trust.
    There was trust when it was given, but that had long passed, especially since the photos were of people who violated that trust in the first place by hurting the submitter of the photo. Hence the term "revenge".



    Quote Originally Posted by Viktyr Gehrig View Post
    If nothing else, they should be illegal because everyone willingly involved with them is scum and deserves to suffer.
    Hyperbolic absurdity.


  10. #10
    Sage
    Excon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Seen
    10-14-17 @ 01:26 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,997

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    The freedom of speech is a double-edged sword.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I mean really, you should not be sending naked or sexy pictures to any electronic media. The responsibility is solely on the person who sent the picture/video. As soon as that happens they have relinquished control.
    Well said.


Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •