View Poll Results: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, make them illegal. They're harassment, not protected free speech

    32 47.76%
  • No, they should be legal. They're in bad taste, but they're legal.

    35 52.24%
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 135

Thread: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

  1. #71
    
    TheGirlNextDoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-14 @ 02:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,033
    Blog Entries
    21

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Maybe people ought to just be choosy who they give revealing pics to? I hope to god I never see my naked ass somewhere on some website... someone's balls will be then hanging over my fireplace mantel once I get ahold of them.
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice....shame on me.

  2. #72
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Poor judgment by the person in the photo does not excuse poor behavior by the person who publishes/uploads said photo. Where the eff do some of you come up with these ideas? And we wonder why society is as effed-up as it is.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #73
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Freedom of speech doesn't apply to defamation and libel. Posting nude pictures of someone without their consent can have a very tangible negative effect on their employment prospects, etc. It's pretty open and shut. The website could easily be sued, as such cases have been successfully prosecuted in the past.
    Posting nudy pics on the internet isn't defamation and libel. It's some dummy that took a picture of their tits, and now it's on the internet. Don't want your tits on the internet? Don't be a dummy and take pictures of them.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  4. #74
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,055

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    There definitely appears to be a common behavioral trait between those who say "Those who don't want their boobies online shouldn't let pictures be taken of them" and "Don't want your home to be destroyed by a hurricane/earthquake/fire/Mayan death-god? Don't move there!" Either way it's a cold and morally bankrupt position to take.

  5. #75
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,055

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Devil's advocate question: what kind of human being actually has the patience to read another person's twitter page?

  6. #76
    
    TheGirlNextDoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-14 @ 02:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,033
    Blog Entries
    21

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Devil's advocate question: what kind of human being actually has the patience to read another person's twitter page?
    I don't. I couldn't give a **** less that someone chooses to put a blow by blow posting of their day. Who gives a crap?
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice....shame on me.

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tampa
    Last Seen
    09-24-13 @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    Posting nudy pics on the internet isn't defamation and libel. It's some dummy that took a picture of their tits, and now it's on the internet. Don't want your tits on the internet? Don't be a dummy and take pictures of them.
    well, just because i'm enjoying myself naked (in a setting where i have a reasonable expectation of privacy), doesnt mean someone has the right to take pictures and put them online without my consent. now, people who go clothes-free in public/semi-public spaces, they're fair game! because that's silly, anyone who does that knows what they were getting in to before they let the 'titties fly'.

  8. #78
    Civil Libertarian
    DashingAmerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    08-31-17 @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,357

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    While it is very underhanded, I feel that once you hit the send button on a nude picture it is no longer private.
    If you strike me down, I'll become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

  9. #79
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Excon View Post
    WTF? Who?... [ridiculous garbage snipped] e freely given without any prohibitive or restrictive language, such as "for your eyes only", are not violations.
    You simply don't understand copyright law. You highlghted the wrong part. You should have emphasized this:

    Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
    No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created.
    In other words, the copyright exists whether it's registered or not. I know this for a fact. I work in photography. I have actually sued a person who used my work without my consent (and won). It's open and shut. I didn't read the rest of your wind-bag post because you're so clearly wrong on this. If you doubt me, ask a copyright attorney. He'll tell you the same thing. You own the copyright from the moment you take the picture. Registration doesn't create that ownership; the ownership already exists. Registration is a tool used to prove you own the copyright if necessary.

  10. #80
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Should revenge porn web sites be made illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Yep. If the owner of the website posted it as part of a for-profit endeavor, he could very well be sued civilly.

    I'm not sure what penalties the ex-bf would face, considering that he didn't intent to make money from submitting the photo. (Presuming he was paid nothing) Maybe fraud for claiming that he had the right to give the website owner the right to publish.
    The web site owner's possible defense is that he didn't upload the copyrighted material himself and therefore the person who uploaded it is guilty of copyright infringement, not he. However, he could be required to remove all the copyrighted material from his web page, which is pretty much all of it. The only possible exception is if he has a signed contract from the copyright owner stating that he has the right to publish the photos. It's extremely unlikely he has that for any of them.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •